PDA

View Full Version : I am infected! Please help!

SincerelyMe
2006-11-12, 18:49
I am a very inexperienced computer user, who has just found out he has a virus or something. Please bear with me, I may not understand the technical stuff, and may need explaining in a different way than others.

What I know:

1. I downloaded a lot of stuff yesterday, mostly programs.
2. After I unzipped one of these programs, (may or may not be a connection) my computer started acting funny.
3. First, I got all these antivirus pop-up ads. Then I noticed icons flashing on the taskbar. Then both my computer (running programs), and the internet (high speed) became extremely slow, it wouldn't respond, and web pages kept frequently timing out.
4. I pretty much freaked out! I CANNOT afford to lose the stuff on my hard drive. The icons I mentioned were a blue orb with an an yellow x in the middle which flashed and transformed into an yellow exclamation point, and a red orb with a yellow exclamation point.

What I tried:

1. I tried screaming at the computer which didn't help at all ^.^
2. I downloaded some of those ad programs, which made the problem worse. I did research and found out these programs were fake.
3. I downloaded Spybot which found some stuff and destroyed it, but my problems were still there.
4. I went to a forum like this and I found out I had Zlob, which is very dangerous, and I also had fake virus programs which find malware and ask for your money.
5. The next forum I went to told me to get SmitFraudFix, which I did. I followed this procedure, went to safe mode, deleted some files, rebooted...
6. I then had to use AVG which got rid of the problem completely, or so I thought.
7. This morning I got on, and low and behold there's that red icon!!! My computer and internet are still slow!!! Internet explorer still load on about:"random number," and I get new anti-virus pop-ups!!!!
8. So I went to a forum here on this site. I did the VundoFix method. I deleted some files, but I still have the problem!!!
9. I joined this forum for your help!!
10. What should I do? Do I need Hijacker-something? How can I make sure there is no more malware on my pc AT ALL when I'm done? I really would like my computer to run at peak performance again, I mean I just got it, and recently got high speed! Talk about a day-ruiner!! I would be so appreciative if you could help me with my problem.

tashi
2006-11-13, 03:34
What I tried:

4. I went to a forum like this and I found out I had Zlob, which is very dangerous, and I also had fake virus programs which find malware and ask for your money.
5. The next forum I went to told me to get SmitFraudFix, which I did. I followed this procedure, went to safe mode, deleted some files, rebooted...

9. I joined this forum for your help!!

10. What should I do? Do I need Hijacker-something?

Hello.

Do you have topics open at the forums you went to?

The procedure for this forum.

"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps and scanning with SPYBOT-S&D (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

tashi
2006-11-19, 03:35
As the information requested in the forum procedure has not been posted, this topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread; this applies only to the original topic starter.