PDA

View Full Version : smitfraud-c toolbar888 help

atc721
2006-11-13, 02:19
My computer recently underwent a complete virus or something. I was online and suddenly nothing was working. Mozilla firefox an internet browser, just went blank, and all my files had seemed to loose theyre .exe files or something of that matter. I had tried a system restore but it did not work. Spybot search and destroy removed something called Smitfraud-CToolbar888. I tried the fix that was given in other threads, the "smitfraudfix.zip" but it did not work. I need help please. Nothing on that computer works unless you re install it. I know this because I re installed a cd burning software to make a copy of my documents. The virus went right through mcafee anti virus, spybot, windows protection and mozilla. I really need some help please.
Thank you.

pskelley
2006-11-14, 14:23
Welcome to the forum, this Smitfraud-CToolbar888 is a false positive:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8668

If you want help you would have to follow these instructions:
Please be advised that most forums Pin the information you need at the top of the page. These two links are a must before you can proceed, but I suggest you review all Pinned (Sticky) information.
UPDATED WINDOWS - Your first line of defence, links and tips
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=425
"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps and scanning with SPYBOT-S&D
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Use the "Post Reply" to post the information in the instructions.
Thanks...pskelley
Safer Networking Forums

atc721
2006-11-15, 03:07
Thanks for your reply. I have read the other posts regarding this smitfraud thing but I did not see any explanation as to the damage this malware does. From reading the other posts, it doesn't sound like anyone's symptoms match each other and don't really match mine.

Internet access is via optimium online (cable), windows xp media center 2005 with updated rollup 2, running mcafee security center with all whistles and bells, 2 year subscription, automatic updates, etc. Also spy bot S&D latest version 1.4. Computer is set up for two users.

My son posted this because he was the one online (Mozilla) at a games website called 'mini-clips'. He says he clicked on something on the screen, another game he wanted to play, and the Mozilla screen went white and of course became unresponsive. I was not home at the time so I'm just retelling the story at this point. He restarted the computer. No problems until he clicked on his name to access his personal settings. Then about 15 error messages popped up, basically saying the same thing: "Program blahblah - components missing or unable to load needed components or might not have been installed or launched properly. Restart or reinstall to fix."

Many programs would not load up including McAfee (all parts), Canon printer, Mozilla, AOL AIM, media software such as Sonic, Creative, etc.

My son tried a system restore to some point a few days prior. No positive results.

I tried to circumvent the desktops icons, paths by going directly to the executable files for these programs. Of the ones I tried only MS Word opened using this method. McAfee etc would not open even when opened directly. Same error message.

Did a spybot S&D: first time didn't find anything. Didn't think we could go online to get any S&D updates because of apparent IE trouble but plugged in the cable and downloaded S&D updates from within the S&D program with no problem. (Begs the question as to why I can't access web directly??)

Ran S&D again: found various cookies, and smitfraud thing. To be honest, haven't run S&D since the summer (mea culpa) - is this smitfraud a red herring?? Is there something that will show up in the hijackthis log?

Scrubbed all items found, ran again, no items found.

My son decided to reinstall the programs for which we had disks, printer, Sonic for example. This solved the problem for that program. We also had a reinstall disk for McAfee but that was unsuccessful - stalled during 'privacy service' reinstall and program became unresponsive.

somehow we could get McAfee Virusscan to run, but it did not find any items.

We also ran S&D in safe mode but no items were found. this was after smitfraud was found earlier. I guess we did it backwards. FYI the problem persists in safe mode. McAfee and other programs give the 'missing, improperly installed,etc." message.

From your website, we downloaded and ran the smitfraud fix but it did not undo the damage, symptoms persist. What exactly was the fix supposed to do?

What exactly is wrong? Is there something wrong with the Windows Installer (something I read about), registry? Is this in line with the kind of damage smitfraud does or is this something else?

We followed the recommendations on 'before you post' as best we could but could not do an online scan. IE loads up and the homepage (optimum online) comes up but we cannot navigate away from it. Typing in another web address and clicking on 'go' or clicking on any links on the home page causes the program to become nonresponsive and it must be terminated from the task manager. Mozilla doesn't load up at all.

We downloaded hijackthis to a disk on an old but good computer and ran it on the new, bad computer. Here is the result:

Thank you for your help!! I hope there is a special place in hell for the people who create these problems and a special place in heaven for those who solve them!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:05:02 PM, on 11/14/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1149198650\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.11.1.5\PlaxoHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop Weather\DesktopWeather.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AOL Toolbar Launcher - {7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {81f5066f-90b9-468b-b99e-40da0ff15c0e} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P17Helper] Rundll32 P17.dll,P17Helper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Optimum Online net guide] "C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\Netsurf.exe" -trayicon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1149198650\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.11.1.5\PlaxoHelper.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DW4] "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop Weather\DesktopWeather.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Launch\AOLLaunch.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 3.1\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2E12FB00-546B-4EE3-9CC2-057BF02E1C17} (Webshots Multiple Media Uploader - Container) - http://community.webshots.com/html/atx/wsaxcontrol.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D1E7CBDA-E60E-4970-A01C-37301EF7BF98} (Measurement Services Client v.3.11) - http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/global/msc311.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: clbAPI - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\clbAPI.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe

pskelley
2006-11-15, 03:54
Thanks for the feedback, to tell you the truth, I am looking right at the infection and I do not know what it is. It looks like it may be some new kind of Vundo infection because of the location. We will give that a try first. I would appreciate it if you would upload that file so the experts can get a look at it if it is new. You can do that to here:
Please submit the files to upload malware http://www.uploadmalware.com
This is the file you will submit: C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll

I also see this item: O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Optimum Online net guide] "C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\Netsurf.exe" -trayicon here is what CastleCops has to say:
http://www.castlecops.com/startuplist-2624.html

And you have an out of date Java program which may be why you are infected, see this information:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=12880&postcount=2
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\ <<< out of date.

We will run the Vundofix first, so you will understand the fix will attempt to locate and delete all infected files. It may take several attempts, you are looking for the Vundofix log to say all files "have been deleted"
Thanks to Atribune and any others who helped with this fix.

1) Please download VundoFix.exe (http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4) to your desktop
Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
Click the Scan for Vundo button.
Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt and a new HiJackThis log in a reply to this thread.Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove. In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button" when VundoFix appears upon rebooting.

If there is a file VundoFix doesn't find we need it submitted. Please submit
the files to upload malware http://www.uploadmalware.com

(save those logs until the end of the instructions)

2) How to make files and folders visible:
Click Start > Open My Computer.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Click OK.

3) Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune
http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/
Save it to your Desktop. We will use this later.

4) Start > Control Panel > Add Remove programs and uninstall Optimum Online if there. Uninstall any other program you know does not belong there, if you are unsure let me know and I will look.

5) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {81f5066f-90b9-468b-b99e-40da0ff15c0e} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll
(Vundo, should have a missing file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Optimum Online net guide] "C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\Netsurf.exe" -trayicon
O20 - Winlogon Notify: clbAPI - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\clbAPI.dll
(Vundo, should be missing)

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

6) RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:

C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\ <<< delete that folder

7) Run ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
Click the Empty Selected button.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart the computer and post the Vundofix log results and a new HJT log. Let me know how the computer is running now.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-16, 01:19
I have submitted the clbAPI file as you asked.

Re: netsurf.exe
have been wondering about the numerous weird processes that are listed as running. Thanks for the info. It's got to go.

Re: Java
will update as soon as internet access is reestablished on infected machine.

Re: vundofix
downloaded to diskette on old computer, copied to infected computer but would not run on infected computer either from diskette or from desktop -
error message: Vundofix.exe is not a valid WIN32 application.

Re: hidden files, etc
all done awaiting next step

Re: ATF cleaner
downloaded to diskette, awaiting next step, haven't tried running

Re: removing 'optimum online'
This is our internet access program via the cable company as I mentioned. I can see the merit of removing netsurf and any other unnecessary things bundled with the optonline software but we'll need the optonline software in the end.

So that's it for now. Thanks.

pskelley
2006-11-16, 01:28
Please read the directions annd follow them. These progams are used all of the time to remove these infections. When it says to download it to the Desktop...that means just that. Not to do whatever you think you should.

downloaded to diskette on old computer, copied to infected computer but would not run on infected computer either from diskette or from desktop -
error message: Vundofix.exe is not a valid WIN32 application.
If you can not follow the directions I have posted, I fear I can not help you.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-16, 01:43
I am doing my best to follow the instructions and have printed them out and am checking things off as I do them.

I cannot download directly to the desktop of my infected computer because the internet access programs are not working on that infected computer. I have no way to get vundofix onto the infected computer unless I use another computer and download it to a diskette and do it that way.

I did upload vundofix to the infected computer to its desktop and cllicked on the desktop icon as you instructed.

Also I won't be able to download ATF cleaner directly either for the same reason.

Thanks for your help.

pskelley
2006-11-16, 01:48
I apologize, that is a particularly bad infection and there are only a couple of tools available. Without access to those tools online, I really don't think I can help. You might want to think about trying to back up what you need and reformatting that computer.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-16, 01:53
Thanks. Are there any clues from the file I sent you?

atc721
2006-11-16, 01:56
Ok, my son just re-installed the Mozilla firefox browser and now we have internet access. I will re download the file and set it to work.

pskelley
2006-11-16, 02:04
Thanks. Are there any clues from the file I sent you?
If you are talking about the HJT log, that is our major diagnostic tool. Malware can hide but in your case the instructions I posted should remove the majority of it. When I can see the results of Vundofix and a new HJT log, I will have a better idea.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-16, 02:11
I wanted to avoid just reinstalling programs willynilly. He was able to do it using the Mozilla files already on the computer. I still don't understand how we could have access via Mozilla/cable access but not via the 'normal' route, IE/cable.

Anyway just downloaded Vundofix to desktop and ran it. It found the file you identified in your instructions: clbAPI.dll. About to 'remove Vundo', etc. We'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-16, 02:22
We ran the vundofix and hijack this after. Here are the logs.

Scan saved at 8:18:33 PM, on 11/15/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AOL Toolbar Launcher - {7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {81f5066f-90b9-468b-b99e-40da0ff15c0e} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1149198650\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.11.1.5\PlaxoHelper.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DW4] "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop Weather\DesktopWeather.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Launch\AOLLaunch.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 3.1\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.1\aoltb.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2E12FB00-546B-4EE3-9CC2-057BF02E1C17} (Webshots Multiple Media Uploader - Container) - http://community.webshots.com/html/atx/wsaxcontrol.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D1E7CBDA-E60E-4970-A01C-37301EF7BF98} (Measurement Services Client v.3.11) - http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/global/msc311.cab
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe

VundoFix V6.2.8

Checking Java version...

Java version is 1.4.2.3

Java version is 1.5.0.3

Java version is 1.5.0.6

Scan started at 7:57:32 PM 11/15/2006

Listing files found while scanning....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll

Beginning removal...

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll Has been deleted!

Performing Repairs to the registry.
Done!

Hope you can get something from that. We will continue on with the instructions you gave us.

atc721
2006-11-16, 02:56
We completed the rest of what you told us to do.

Uninstalled optimum online net guide and a few other unnecessary programs.

Did a hijackthis system scan only and two of the four items were already gone - opt online net guide and clbAPI, so checked the two that were still there, hit fix checked, etc.

Opt online folder was already gone

ran ATF cleaner

restarted,
-----------------------------------------------
The same error messages popped up though. As I mentioned in my first posting, error messages for programs that are in the startup sequence such as McAfee, Creative, AOL AIM etc. come up as 'program blahblah - missing components, might not be properly installed, etc. Please restart or reinstall.'

Some other programs will not open or open in some limited operating mode (I can open MS Word but to open and read documents only.)

Thanks for your help.

here are latest vundofix and hijackthis logs.

Scan saved at 8:44:35 PM, on 11/15/2006

Running processes:

VundoFix V6.2.8

Checking Java version...

Java version is 1.4.2.3

Java version is 1.5.0.3

Java version is 1.5.0.6

Scan started at 7:57:32 PM 11/15/2006

C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll

Beginning removal...

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbAPI.dll Has been deleted!

Performing Repairs to the registry.
Done!

VundoFix V6.2.8

Checking Java version...

Java version is 1.4.2.3

Java version is 1.5.0.3

Java version is 1.5.0.6

Scan started at 8:38:42 PM 11/15/2006

No infected files were found.

pskelley
2006-11-16, 03:09
Let me start by pointing you at the information I posted earlier about Java. There is a very good chance hackers exploited your out of date Java to infect you and you are still running several out of date versions. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for uploading that file, it may help someone else.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 8:44:35 PM, on 11/15/2006
Besides the out of date Java program, this HJT log looks clean of malware. How is the computer running now? If all is back to normal, then do this.

System Restore does not know the good files from the bad. In case bad stuff has gotten into your System Restore files, follow the instructions in this link to get clean System Restore files. Turn it off, reboot then turn it back on:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?Open&src=sec_doc_nam

Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

I will wait to hear from you before I ask tashi:) to close this topic.
Thanks for your cooperation, those tools will work if used properly.

Phil

atc721
2006-11-16, 17:49
Thank you for helping us get rid of any malware,
but the computer is not back to normal.
Still getting those error messages. And still having problems with Internet explorer. It opens up but becomes nonresponsive when you try to navigate away from the initial web page.

I read through what you recommended about system restore; I guess that's just to clear out previous restore points so we don't send the computer back to the infected state.

But it's still not right so I'll wait to hear from you before doing anything else.

Thanks

pskelley
2006-11-16, 18:41
Still getting those error messages.
Please post these "error" messages "word for word".

Try looking through this information:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/IEtopten.mspx

But it's still not right so I'll wait to hear from you before doing anything else.
"still not right" means nothing to me, it sounds like your issues are in Internet Explorer. There is a new version available free from Microsoft, that may fix your browser issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-22, 01:39
Ok. My point is that my computer is STILL SCREWED UP. I believe that the malware is finished, but we STILL CANT RUN OUR PROGRAMS THAT is the bottom line. How can we get it back to the way it was BEFORE the crap happened to it? Is there some way you're not telling us, some way to system restore after the virus is gone and done with? or is this all, the only way is to format the drive. Dell PC recovery options show there is a way to restore the computer to how it was when we first booted it up. Should we take this path? or not. THATS what I've been TRYING to get across to you. Im really getting frustrated with this as you can see. Thanks

pskelley
2006-11-22, 02:37
Still getting those error messages
What you can do for starters is post the error messages, I need them word for word, and that's what I am trying to get across to you! Post a new HJT log with them.

Dell PC recovery options show there is a way to restore the computer to how it was when we first booted it up. Should we take this path? or not. THATS what I've been TRYING to get across to you. Im really getting frustrated with this as you can see. Thanks
That is up to you, I remove malware, If I can get the error messages I have been asking for, I may be able to find out if it could be malware related. Once I know this is not the case, I may be able to direct you to help with Windows or other computer issues.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-23, 01:59
Ok, for starters, heres the mcafee securitycenter error
| |
| __________ |
| | Ok |
-------------

The lines signifying the box, it is word for word.

Here is an AOL error for AIM. w/o box

AOL |X|

The AOL software cannot start up correctly. Please try again, restart your computer, or reinstall the software.

Error starting: ee://aol/imapp
Error Code: 10

| Reinstall | | Close |

here is for creative mediasource player, a music program similar to itunes.

Creative MediaSource |X|

(big X in a red circle) Unable to load the theme engine.

|OK|

those are a couple of the ones that come up at startup, ill get you more.

pskelley
2006-11-23, 02:24
I would say either you are having major Windows issues or problems with those progams which may have been corrupted by the junk we removed. I would contact support for the programs and ask for instructions. I normally uninstall and redownload a corrupted program, which is what McAfee has had me do in the past, and I have no knowledge of the other programs you mention. If you think Windows may be at fault, try one of these forums that deal with those issues.

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=83

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum56.html

What you can do for starters is post the error messages, I need them word for word, and that's what I am trying to get across to you! Post a new HJT log with them.

Thanks

atc721
2006-11-23, 16:14
Sorry, forgot the log.

Scan saved at 10:13:55 AM, on 11/23/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/mcfscan/2,1,0,4896/mcfscan.cab
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

pskelley
2006-11-23, 17:22
Thanks for showing me a new HJT log. I see a lot of programs running at every startup that you may not need, this information will explain how to turn them off: http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
but I do not see anything that should be causing issues like you are having. I would be glad to run scans to look, but I must say I believe you would be wasting your time. From the sounds of things the issues are not malware related. You can have a look to see if perhaps a file/files have been corrupted or is missing like this:

Click Start > Run, type in sfc /scannow, hit Enter or OK
Note: there is a space between sfc and /scannow
This should replace any corrupted/missing system files and will hopefully fix things. You may need your XP disc in your CD drive for this.

Thanks

LonnyRJones
2006-12-06, 11:59
Im Glad we could help
Since the problems are solved Im going to close the topic now, this keeps others with similar problems from posting there logs/question here, they should start a new topic.

If you should need to post another log for the same PC let one of us know via a PM (personal message).