PDA

View Full Version : Different Windows Security Center Problem

godawgs
2006-11-15, 18:08
I just updated to SP2. Yeah, I know it's been out for 2-3 years.....anyway...
I ran a check with SpyBot before updating and everything was clean. After updating I ran another check and the problem box lists a different Security Center problem than I've found on the forum so far. The problem is:

Microsoft.Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify
Settings
HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Security Center\UpdateDisableNotify!= dword:0

I do have the Automatic Update part of the Security Center disabeled. Should I fix this problem or tell SpyBot to ignore on future checks?
Also, I'm running SpywareBlaster. Should I Immunize with SpyBot also, or undo the Immunizations so far and leave that to SpywareBalster? I think that is waht the version of SpyBot before this one suggested.
Thanks for the help'
JC

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-15, 18:43
This detection:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.UpdateDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0
Indicates the Automatic Update alert setting within Windows Security Center has been turned off and that you will not receive notifications if the Windows Automatic Update facility is turned off.

Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window. There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
I believe that you will find that Automatic Updates alert has been turned off.

Since you have Windows Automatic Update turned off, fixing the problem would cause alerts to be issued.

Note: There are two (2) alternatives to turning off Windows Automatic Update entirely:
Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.
Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-15, 18:56
Re: Spybot and SpywareBlaster

I run both. See the following post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=46374&postcount=2

godawgs
2006-11-16, 15:36
md usa,

Thanks for the responses and the help.
JC