PDA

View Full Version : My scan process is taking over 12 hours

amechev
2005-12-09, 15:27
I have been using Spybot for over a year. All of a sudden, when I do a scan it is taking 12 hours to finish.

What's going on?

Ana

tashi
2005-12-11, 00:51
Hello.
Please open Spybot>Help>About
Let us know the version and latest detection update.

Also your operating system and other security programs installed.

Cheers.

amechev
2005-12-11, 04:57
Spybot version 1.4. Detections 12-09-2005

I have lavasoft as-aware installed as well as Norton antivirus.

amechev
2005-12-11, 05:07
Well.... my scan is now back to normal. I have no idea how it got fixed.

vjcollins
2005-12-11, 16:34
Hi,
Yes, I have the same problem, as well. Same version, updated 12/09. Twice my Win XP locked up while trying to scan, third time took over 4 hours to scan.

I also have Norton anti virus, etc. installed and have used Spybot for at least two years with no previous issues.

Thanks for any ideas to fix.

Valerie
Taylors, SC USA

amechev
2005-12-11, 17:50
It is getting worse. When I log in with one user, everything works fine. When I log in with another user, then it takes 12 hours to finish. I thought spybot cleaned the whole PC, not based on the user.

Any ideas?

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-11, 18:45
amechev:

The entire system is scanned for most malware. However, because of restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan only includes the Internet cache and cookies of the current user's account. The scan from one account does not include the Internet cache or cookies of other accounts.

Try to clean up the Internet cache and cookies of the account that is running excessively long.

Are both accounts Computer Administrator accounts?

amechev
2005-12-12, 19:20
Both accounts are administrators. I cleaned the cache and cookies, but no change. The spybot process starts and it seems to get stuck on some of the checks.... central24, comload, connectMFCapplication,consul-infoBV,DCON and many more..... after 12 hours it finishes but it does not find any problems.

bartdesign
2005-12-13, 17:12
I have exactly the same problem. It doens't take 12hours but i does take a long long time. It hangs at some of the things, like the post above. One time i cancelled the scan and then i whole lot of spy soft popped up. Very strange, also i have noticed that when it finishes the scan it finds some things but not everything, a lot is still there. When i cancelled the scan i got the things i couldn't found earlier. Maybe something i trying to sabotage the scan? Im a spybot users from the beginning and i have never encounterd such problems.

I have an dual core p4 with an raptor drive so that shouldn't be the problem.

washa
2005-12-18, 04:45
Hi, I am having the same problem. Has anyone a solution for this?

leechking
2005-12-18, 16:12
same here!

first it started with spybot 1.3 - latest detection update.
then i uninstalled it and installed spybot 1.4 - detection update 2005-12-16.

it still takes hours to scan...

i do have the latest version of AntiVir and symantec personal firewall pro 5.5 build 2637.

using all of that on a windows 2000 system, administrator account.

i recently had the latest infection of coolwebsearch...which caused some problems (and maybe still does, although it should be removed entirely). so i don't know if that has to do something with it...

bilulu
2005-12-26, 12:31
My connection was hijacked a week ago
017-KKLM\System\services\Tcpip\...\ \NameServer = 85.255.113.109
When I fix it with hijackthis, it's always coming back when I restart IE. After several days internet search i find the solution to fix it.
And it is since this hijack that spybot freeze, adaware also, regcleaner also, the spybot process starts and it seems to get stuck on some of the checks.... central24, comload, ...
I have uninstall spybot, reinstall it. Last dectection file 2005-12-23. A new spyware ? Help !

tashi
2005-12-26, 16:38
bilulu, I removed the dupe and also your last post in which you were referring members to tools used under the supervision of our helpers in the Malware forum here:
Before you post a log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288[/url)
The freezing problem can be due to several factors which is one reason it can be difficult to nail it down.
Regards, ;)