PDA

View Full Version : Deskmate.Tahni

Morlok8k
2006-11-21, 11:39
Deskmate.Tahni is NOT a trojan. i repeat: NOT A TROJAN.

how this got into spybot i dont know, but no other spyware program on earth detects it as spyware. It's a ligitimate program being sold since 1997 by a ligitimate company.

even secutity sites i quickly found on google say that it's not spyware - just a program in your start-up (which can be toggled inside the program.)

and if it was a trojan, dont you think that all the other deskmates the company sells would be listed too? nope. just tahni.

I have no affilitation with Oska, except for the fact that i've used their software (including tahni) since 1998 with no computer malfunctions due to it.

Gaming4JC
2006-12-20, 22:35
Hello,
I fully disagree with you on this matter. I went and download Oska "free" from Deskmates and I must say they are loaded with ads and most likely spyware.
Oska Privacy policy:
http://www.oska.com/privacy_policy.php
Oska.com's Privacy Policy says clearly they do not transmit "adaware" or "spyware". They've lied on the ads and they probably lied about the spyware too.
If it wasn't for a new registry cleaner I found, I would still be deleting all the trash that nasty little virtual bear left behind, popup dlls etc... :mad:

Not to mention the ads/popups are of light p0rn. :eek:
I hope spybots next includes include all of Deskmates mess.

If this were a legit company I don't feel they should lie to their customers.

Just wanted to let everyone know, DO NOT DOWNLOAD OSKA HE's A WICKED LITTLE BEAR...

Manual Oska the Bear Removal (how I deleted him):
1. Delete all of C:\Progam Files\Deskmates folder it contains all the mess.
2. Run "Free Windows Registry Repair" and fix all the thousands of problems it finds on "deskmates".
Tool can be downloaded here:
hxxp://www.regsofts.com/free_registry_repair/registry_repair.htm
People inexperienced with the Registry should be very careful, especially if a program finds "thousands" of errors. One could corrupt Windows, causing system instability, or worse, a nuked PC. -tashi
3. Just to be safe after all this run CCleaner.

Gaming4JC
P.S: Sorry if I sounded too mean I was quite disgusted with the Deskmate as you can probably see :laugh:

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-20, 23:30
Morlok8k:

It seems that your post concerning "DeskMate.Tahni" being a possible false positive may have been overlooked for about a month without a response before Gaming4JC (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=15410) posted disputing your observation.

Perhaps you could post the actual detections that Spybot is getting so that a member of Team Spybot can investigate your assertion that the "DeskMate.Tahni" detection(s) are false positives. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes and you get the detection(s) for "DeskMate.Tahni", right click on the results list and select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste those results (Ctrl+V) to a new post in this thread.

daurizio
2006-12-23, 15:27
I am experiencing this as well. Did not have a deskmate folder in program files, but spybot keeps finding it. This is the results of the scan. Thanks,

DeskMate.Tahni: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-984921898-296042466-2431848808-1006\Software\VHLD

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---

2005-05-31 blindman.exe (1.0.0.1)
2005-05-31 SpybotSD.exe (1.4.0.3)
2005-05-31 TeaTimer.exe (1.4.0.2)
2006-12-03 unins000.exe (51.41.0.0)
2005-05-31 Update.exe (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-06 advcheck.dll (1.0.2.0)
2005-05-31 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2005-05-31 borlndmm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 delphimm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 SDHelper.dll (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-20 Tools.dll (2.0.0.2)
2005-05-31 UnzDll.dll (1.73.1.1)
2005-05-31 ZipDll.dll (1.73.2.0)
2006-12-22 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2006-12-08 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*)
2006-11-24 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*)
2006-10-27 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*)
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*)
2006-10-20 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2006-12-08 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*)
2006-10-13 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*)
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2006-12-08 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)
2006-12-22 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*)

DragonWench70
2006-12-27, 05:38
Ok, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I have to say, I cannot get these program off my computer! No matter what I do, it won't LEAVE! I try to use add/remove program, and I get an error msg saying their is NO UNINSTALL FILE for this program. Every scan I have run, including spybot has tagged it as a TROJAN, not a harmless program. My computer ran just fine, until my fiancee downloaded it to show me what it does.

Now, your telling me that a program, with no UNINSTALL file is a legit program. All I can ask is, How much are they paying you?

Tahni is a trojan, I have had trojans before, and this is by far, THE hardest one to get rid of. It allows spyware and malware like Gator, and Gain slip into your computer through a backdoor in that program file.

All I am saying. :banghead:

tashi
2006-12-27, 05:54
Sorry for the delay, I have brought this topic to the attention of our Team.

Yodama
2006-12-27, 11:07
A short review on Oska Software just shows that they are not trustworthy.

First of all what kind of Educational Systems do they provide?
Secondly the store is fraudulent, by default ALL of the visible Deskmates are selected, ok there is a note to only select those you want, but which legit webshop marks all of its visible products by default or put all of their products into your shoppingcart?
And on the payment site, are prices not supposed to be eye-catching? The total price is more like hidden in the text.
This alone makes Oska Software suspicious. And obviously they do not care about who their associats are, as long as they promote their software.
There appear to be no rules against spamming, hijacking and so on.
Oska Software does not appear to be interested in banning associates that spam, hijack, bundle malware and so on.

If you want to purchase something from them you have to look thrice or more often.

drdrleach
2007-02-10, 11:23
I have the same problem as Daurizio with spybot and deskmate.tahni.
I have never posted on a a forum before... that's how much this thing is annoying me.

I have NEVER visited, installed, used, or had anything to do with deskmates of anysort and have never visited their website.

I have no interest in debating the legitimacy of the tahni deskmate or the creators of it... i just want my machine to be clean and spybot repeatedly detects deskmate.tahni as a trojan, "removes it", though it always comes back.

Anyone able to look in to this problem? Any advice?
Please be patient with me if you ask me to do things... will do my best.

ecvsandy
2007-03-02, 19:33
I had paid for three of the deskmates and enjoyed the Tahni greeting each morning but noted my computer doing some strange things and nearly locking up. Also saw a lot of unauthorized internet activity when idle. Upon downloading the latest spybot updates, the scan showed the dreaded trojan horse warning.
Well, after looking through this thread, I decided to err on the side of caution and uninstalled the entire deskmate program - no easy task as it didn't want to leave the warmth and comfort of my computer!
Since dumping the $60 worth of dancing nekkid girls, my puter has settled down considerably, no more unauthorized modem activity and I see that the useage meter has dropped as well.
Thanks, Spybot!

tashi
2007-03-02, 20:46
Cheers. :)

Any member who is having a problem with DeskMate.Tahni please make sure you have the latest Spybot-S&D definitions.

Run SpyBot
Check for problems
Fix all red items

Right click and choose copy results (not the full report) to clipboard and post that back here please.

If you don't wish DeskMate.Tahni to be flagged:

Mode > Advanced > Settings > Ignore products.

Put a check into the box next to DeskMate.Tahni

arnoldrimmer
2007-03-22, 15:58
A short review on Oska Software just shows that they are not trustworthy.

First of all what kind of Educational Systems do they provide?
Secondly the store is fraudulent, by default ALL of the visible Deskmates are selected, ok there is a note to only select those you want, but which legit webshop marks all of its visible products by default or put all of their products into your shoppingcart?

Sorry dont see your Problem, are you not able to do a few mouseclicks?

And on the payment site, are prices not supposed to be eye-catching? The total price is more like hidden in the text.
This alone makes Oska Software suspicious.

Microsoft?

And obviously they do not care about who their associats are, as long as they promote their software.

Who is that?

There appear to be no rules against spamming, hijacking and so on.
Oska Software does not appear to be interested in banning associates that spam, hijack, bundle malware and so on.
Again who?

I have Deskmates since 1999 and never Problems with the Deskmates even uninstalling works fine and Completly. Ok i never had the Demo versions.

Please give me Links like that one hxxp://www.spywaredb.com/remove-bargainbuddy/ (Disabled, no contact/ privacy policy on site.)

ok is found there the kahlisetup_demo.exe mentioned but if you are so stupid to install kahlisetup_demo.exe aka send by E-Mail = Selfowned......

If you dont belive me here my HijackThis log:

Please do NOT post hjt logs in the Spybot forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266)