PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for advanced mode

Dakota
2006-11-26, 21:36
I see that a dialog box comes up about advertising bots removal being able to make a program not work. What settings should I disable to make advanced mode safe?

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-26, 23:13
I assume that you are talking about the "Legal stuff" message:

Legal stuff

If you remove advertisement robots with this program, you may not be
allowed to continue using their host programs. Read their license
agreements for further information.

□ Don't show this message again
That message has nothing to do with settings in "Advance mode". It addresses the legality of removing certain things with "Check for problems" and "Fix selected problems" which are not "Advance mode" features.

A quote from tashi (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=7) in the following thread:
Advertizing Robots
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=6611

The warning is because some programs you may have installed on your computer include adware.

If you clicked "I agree" to that program's EULA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EULA) when installing; by allowing Spybot to remove those ads it could place you in the position of violating the EULA you agreed to.

Dakota
2006-11-26, 23:59
Yes, I guess that is what I mean. But I am also referring to this.

Dakota
2006-11-27, 00:05
I guess it didn't come so here it is. I guess I can't upload pics as yet, but it is the warning that shows up when you want to change from default to advanced.

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-27, 06:17
There are really no specific settings that can be disabled to make advanced mode safe.

Extra features made available when you go into advanced mode that can, if misused, cause problems on your system. That is the reason that the warning is issued. On the other hand these features can be very handy.

When you go into Advanced mode no settings are automatically changed. You can go into Advanced mode and return to Default mode without any problems.

As a start, I would like to suggest that you go into Advanced mode and click "Yes" on the Warning message. As soon as you go into Advanced mode, three additional buttons (tabs) appear in the left pane of the Spybot screen. They are Settings, Tools and Info & License.

Click Settings. The Settings list will expand and a list of individually Settings categories appears. Then click each of the individually categories one at a time, look at the screen and click Help on each.

Remember that if you don't alter anything in the screens themselves, you have not changed the way anything operates.

By repeating this process through Settings, Tools and Info & License you will get an understanding of what Advanced mode offers. Note: when you first go into the Tools tab not all the categories are necessarily checked so all the possible categories may not appear in the left pane. To see each category under Tools you can either check all the categories in the right pane or after viewing one category click Tools in the left pane and click a category button in the right pane without checking it.

Post back with any specific questions that you have or any features that you would like explained more fully.