PDA

View Full Version : Immunize

frankie
2005-12-10, 23:38
I have Spybot S/D on two computers.
one computer shows 8000+ bad entries blocked and the other computer shows 1200+ entries blocked.
?? Is there an explanation for the difference shown for blocked bad entries between the two computers.

Regards,
Frankie

Oppressed
2005-12-11, 05:39
I have the same thing.

My Windows 98SE last total this morning was 1200+ and my Windows XP indicated 12,625 a few days back.

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-11, 06:46
The immunization count varies among the various operating systems. This is because for certain types of immunization Spybot adds the same immunization entries to multiple registry hives, if those registry hives exist in the operating system.

Oppressed
2005-12-12, 18:59
The immunization count varies among the various operating systems. This is because for certain types of immunization Spybot adds the same immunization entries to multiple registry hives, if those registry hives exist in the operating system.

Hello,

I do not know what a "hive" is but thank you for the answer :bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-12, 19:29
From Microsoft's MSDN Library:
Registry Hives
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp

A hive is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data.
The above information was found by doing a search for "registry hive" at search.microsoft.com:
http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

bitman
2005-12-12, 19:49
Simpler answer; each user account created on the PC has its own 'hive'. So the number of accounts that exists affects the total number of bad entries blocked.

Since newer versions of the Windows OS also have more dedicated 'special' accounts used for internal purposes, they begin with more bad entries blocked then older OS versions. Windows XP has 6 such special accounts so the number of protections starts out several times higher and grows as you add more accounts yourself.

md usa spybot fan is beginning to sound like Lonny and me. :eek:

Oppressed
2005-12-12, 20:58
:cool: Thanks to both of you for the replies :bigthumb:

Makes sense to this old farmer's granddaughter :o