PDA

View Full Version : MyWay.MySearch

psybot
2005-10-27, 08:25
Hi good people

I'm using Spybot S&D 1.3 and constantly update.

The last ~five times I've scanned my PC, Spybot has detected the following:

"
MyWay.MySearch: Browser helper object (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{014DA6C1-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10}
"

Maybe the big number at the end changes I'm not sure, but the MyWay.MySearch is always there.

This is kind of worrying me as I love my PC to be healthy. Anyone have an idea of how I can fix this as Spybot can't seem to permanently remove it.

Thanks,
James aka Psybot

PS I click Fix Selected Problems each time and it comes up with the green ticks.

spybotsandra
2005-10-27, 10:05
Hello,

"Possible UnPopular Software"
There is some stuff - like AtHoc, BackWeb lite, CDilla, Hotbar, MiniBug, MyWay.MyBar, MyWebSearch, New.Net, PeopleOnPage, SideStep, WareOut and WildTangent where the makers state they're not "spyware" and it's quite difficult to prove that they really "spy".

We don't even name some "spyware" in the threat description, but as they are located in Spybots.sbi, they complain. So we thought about how to solve this problem by creating another file, named XYZ, where we move such stuff. That way, they can't complain about being listed as "spyware" based on the fact that they're located in Spybots.sbi, and we can continue to detect them without fearing any consequences (we wouldn't change the threat description itself of course).

All products which belong to the "PUPS" are not selected to be fixed automatically after the scan is done. This means the user can decide by himself whether he wants them to be deleted or not.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

psybot
2005-10-27, 10:38
Thank you Sandra for your prompt reply.
What can I do to make sure there is nothing harmful in my computer, as this keeps coming up in the scan?
:confused:

spybotsandra
2005-10-27, 13:08
Hello,

If you want to be sure that everything is ok, you can send us a bugreport to
detections@spybot.info

We will proof the BHO and the other stuff to be sure that everything is ok.
;)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gcRez
2005-10-27, 18:37
MyWay is a dell program they give out with their computers....IF YOU WANT TO GET RID of it, goto control panel, add/remove progs, and find "myway search assistant" uninstall this and you are free from dell seach assistant lol, untill you do a dell update and they will reinstall it.

i hope this helps...if you don't have a dell then you picked up the spyware.

- gcRez

tashi
2005-10-27, 22:05
Interesting discussion regarding Dell/MyWay here:

http://castlecops.com/p632320-Dell_MyWay_Discussion.html#632320

You may have to register at the site in order to see the topic but it is worthwhile.

psybot
2005-10-29, 08:31
If you want to be sure that everything is ok, you can send us a bugreport to
detections@spybot.info

:cool:
How do I do that? (Excuse my ignorance - I'm new to the e-security scene)

gcRez - I checked the add/remove programs list - I can't find it nor anything similar.

Spiritsongs
2005-10-29, 23:19
;) In the same castlecops forum ( "Microsoft Antispyware" ) quoted by tashi
is another thread about removing MyWay and ALL its "components", even
when MyWay is NOT listed in "Add/Remove Programs". There are probably
"left-over" registry entries that should be removed based on the info in the
"Removing MyWay Search Assistance" thread. All the advise given is based
on SPECIFICALLY WHEN the Dell computer was purchased .

ChrisRLG
2005-10-30, 01:10
Hi good people

I'm using Spybot S&D 1.3 and constantly update.

You need to update the program - the latest version is 1.4

tashi
2005-10-30, 03:08
Spybot-S&D 1.4 Final has been released.
Uninstalling Previous Spybot-S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html)
Spybot-S&D Version 1.4 Download (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html)

Tutorial (http://www.spybot.info/en/tutorial/index.html)

You can copy paste a Spybot log here if you wish and we will check it out to see what may be on the system.

Spybot-S&D
Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Copy paste the log into this topic. :)

Make sure you update the program after installing and before scanning. (If you receive a Bad Checksum Error please try another download mirror.)

theCaptain
2005-11-02, 00:24
As mentioned on Castlecops, the safest way to remove it is through Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. Also look for MyWebSearch in Add/remove.

If all else fails, download and run this utility http://help.myway.com/uninstall/mwsUnins.exewhich should remove all traces.

Let me know if you have any problems.
-K

EdwardHowland
2005-11-13, 07:03
You need to update the program - the latest version is 1.4
My trouble with MywayMysearch didn't start until after I downloaded V1.4. Now each time I boot up I get a series of boxes on my desk top stating: Registry change denied. Resident denied the change of {014DA6-189F-421A-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} {CATEGORY User-specific browser toolbar} based on your black list.
The only way to stop the process is to use CTL-ALT-DEL and close it from the close program box. I've even gone into the registry and manually deleted the key several time... but like Dracula it keeps coming back :eek:
Would it help do you think if I uninstall SB S&D entirely and re-download 1.4?

lakesider
2008-04-11, 00:55
If Myway Stuff Isn't Malware, Why Is It Impossible To Remove? I Have Tried Everything With No Success.