PDA

View Full Version : run unattended off usb key

mulligan.can
2006-12-02, 06:37
ok, i am trying to put together a small collection of utilities that can all be called/scripted to run via a batch file to automate system maintenance. anyway, i need the whole script to be able to run from a usb key (thus the installer can't be needed to set it up) spybot works perfectly expect for one thing. the "legal stuff" notification requires user interaction and thus throws a spanner in unattended use as it pauses everything until someone clicks it.

i was wondering if tehre was a way to bypass this or perhaps import whatever file/regkey spybot uses to remember when you select the dont ask me again option.

anyone able to help me out?

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-02, 06:47
The indicator as to whether or not to present the following dialog when Spybot starts is in Spybot's Configuration.ini file:
Legal stuff

If you remove advertisement robots with this program, you may not be allowed to continue using their host programs. Read their license agreements for further information.

□ Don't show this message again.

[OK]
The Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
The indicator for the control of whether or not to present the dialog is under the category "[Main]" in the Configuration.ini file and the entry is "Legals=x" where:
Legals=0 – display the dialog.
Legals=1 – suppress the dialog.

mulligan.can
2006-12-02, 06:59
thanks a lot for that mate. really appreciate the help

bitman
2006-12-02, 07:08
That's the right configuration info, but the wrong place for this situation.

Since the files will be contained on the USB Key and moved from PC to PC, the change should be made in the 'Default Configuration.ini' file in the main folder containing the SpybotSD.exe file on the USB Key. This will then cause the value to be preset on any new PC where Spybot S&D is run for the first time.

This file also contains some of the other common items like setting Restore Points or Backups that would still be stored in the folders md usa spybot fan mentioned above. You can copy the Configuration.ini file from the appropriate directory and rename it once you've cofigured exactly what you want.

You might also want to set some of the default registry entries to skip things like the Installation Wizard that normally runs the first time on a new PC. The path to these is as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD

Bitman

mulligan.can
2006-12-02, 07:15
i didnt even realise that spybot had a configuration file :S

just pointing that out made me look a little harder (had been looking thru the registry for something that looked like it might help to no avail)

there is a default configuration.ini file in the spybot folder so i just modified that with "legals=1" and it worked brilliantly :D

again, thanks for all the help