PDA

View Full Version : Announcing betas: TeaTimer / Updater / Vista integration

PepiMK
2006-12-04, 13:32
We are proud to announce new versions of miscellaneous tools are now available for beta testing!

Scanning engine

This update cannot be disabled in the download package below; it is not only used if you install TeaTimer, but by the main Spybot-S&D scanner as well. The methods available to detect malware have been more than doubled, including new ways to generically detect malware mutations.

TeaTimer

Aside from the fix of the graphical glitch so many users have been waiting for, there have been some important changes under the hood, which will reduce the number of change dialogs where the user has to decide.
TeaTimer now automatically allows any changes during the installation of other security software which follow the ASCs guideline of code-signing all files, as well as a much improved scan of the files associated with registry changes.

Vista Security Center

The Windows Security Center included with Windows Vista has a dedicated entry for malware protection software.
Microsoft ships Windows Defender with Vista, however, Spybot-S&D can now easily integrate into the Vista Security Center; which will then monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not.
This update will only show on Vista systems, since previous Windows versions do not offer anti malware integration into WSC.

Download beta versions of above tools here (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sbsdtools15beta.exe)

djpailo
2006-12-05, 19:39
Great news! Spybot hasn't really been updated for a while, apart from definitions. I'm curious to know if this integration with Windows Vista is also available on XP?

TeMerc
2006-12-05, 20:52
Should users uninstall 1.4 before installing the beta? Or can users install over 1.4?

bitman
2006-12-05, 21:00
djpailo,

As the last line of the post states:

This update will only show on Vista systems, since previous Windows versions do not offer anti malware integration into WSC.

TeMerc,

You must install over Spybot S&D 1.4, since this beta install only includes the components mentioned. It's meant as a file refresh, not a complete install.

Bitman

TeMerc
2006-12-05, 21:01
djpailo,

TeMerc,

You must install over Spybot S&D 1.4, since this beta install only includes the components mentioned. It's meant as a file refresh, not a complete install.

Bitman
TYVM:bigthumb:

djpailo
2006-12-05, 21:28
djpailo,

TeMerc,

Bitman

argh sorry :red:

:oops:

greenhatch
2006-12-05, 22:46
I have installed the scanning engine improvement but preferred to skip the Teatimer. However on checking the 'About' info, it stills states 1.4 there not 1.5 beta. Is that ok?

PepiMK
2006-12-05, 23:33
The old TeaTimer has that ugly glitch that makes it difficult to click the buttons, so I would really replace it ;)
The version number shown by Spybot-S&D will still be 1.4, that's ok. Spybot-S&D itself doesn't really show the engine version (yet) I'm afraid. The main user interface will be updated as soon as more changes for Vista have been implemented :)

Regarding XP: should a future XP service pack include an anti-malware option in the Security Center as well, we'll try to make an update very fast.

Oh, and if this should be bug-free (and after that much bug testing, we really hope that), it'll be available through the integrated update soon as well of course.

greenhatch
2006-12-06, 12:07
I don't use the Teatimer facility, just the scanner as a backup, once a week; which itself is an excellent program. Incidentally, I found the speed of the scanning noticably faster after the 1.5 beta upgrade.

wk357mag
2006-12-06, 12:43
1.5 beta works perfect for me!

Great job!!

streetwolf
2006-12-06, 16:04
Two issues I've run into.

1. My AV program (AVG Pro) flags the beta exe as some sort of malware. As a result I can't even download it using the IE7 download manager. However, I was able to d/l it using Flashget.

2. It still says version 1.4 within Spybot. Is it supposed to say 1.5?

wk357mag
2006-12-06, 18:18
no, its still going to say 1.4

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-06, 18:28
streetwolf:

From the following post by the developer, PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1), earlier in this thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=56616&postcount=8

… The version number shown by Spybot-S&D will still be 1.4, that's ok. Spybot-S&D itself doesn't really show the engine version (yet) I'm afraid. The main user interface will be updated as soon as more changes for Vista have been implemented :) ...

streetwolf
2006-12-06, 19:25
streetwolf:

From the following post by the developer, PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1), earlier in this thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=56616&postcount=8

Thanks for providing the link.

djpailo
2006-12-06, 21:29

1. My AV program (AVG Pro) flags the beta exe as some sort of malware. As a result I can't even download it using the IE7 download manager. However, I was able to d/l it using Flashget.

Strange. My AVG Home edition didn't flag anything. :bigthumb:

I have noticed fast scanning, infact, to me its actually got slower.

PepiMK
2006-12-06, 21:53
@streetwolf: do you have a screenshot of that? If so, I'll bug AVG immediately with it :)

@djpailo: that depends I guess. On the one hand, there are some improved mechanisms in there speeding things up. On the other hand, last fridays update may already make use of a few of the new mechanisms. The authenticode scan e.g. is now more thorough, since some bad files were signed with a tricky method aimed at hiding the certificate from scanners. So I guess speed improvements or decreases may depend on individual configurations, can't say that in general.

BrainDedd
2006-12-06, 23:42
Beta works great :)
Would be nice if the new scanner was multi-threaded :)

diverdan
2006-12-07, 14:05
here are the two notifications that avg 7.5 pro gives me after downloading the exe:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/diverdan1/spybot%20thread%20pics/1.png

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/diverdan1/spybot%20thread%20pics/2.png

PepiMK
2006-12-07, 19:09
Just called them. They just gave me a silly form email and an address to send the file and more information to. Lets see how quickly they react...

noel-pr7
2006-12-07, 20:08
Regarding XP: should a future XP service pack include an anti-malware option in the Security Center as well, we'll try to make an update very fast.

speaking of future XP SPs PepiMK, windows xp service pack 3 is scheduled to be released sometime in the first half of 2008 as noted on the Windows Service Pack Road Map page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

it's still unclear whether or not Microsoft will actually include an "anti-malware" option in Windows Security Center for the next XP service pack.

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, on the other hand, is in the release candidate stage and will be officially released sometime in 2007.

also, I'll have to test TeaTimer 1.5 beta on a Win95 machine to see if it works. I remember that TeaTimer 1.4 does not work under Win95.

tashi
2006-12-07, 21:09
windows xp service pack 3 is scheduled to be released sometime in the first half of 2008 as noted on the Windows Service Pack Road Map page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

I would not be surprised if that becomes a non-event once Vista rolls out to the public early 2007.

PepiMK
2006-12-07, 21:38
@diverdan: Just received this from AVG:

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the virus (Trojan Horse) on some legitimate applications. We
can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released the new virus update that removes the false positive on this application. AVG with newest update doesn't detect the file as a virus.@noel-pr7: are you using "schedules" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence? ;) The whole WSC details are under a NDA anyway, so I won't say anything further on the topic ;)

Regarding Windows 95, 1.4 failed since Borland removed support for Windows 95 from its Developer Studio. I recently gave up on hoping they would adjust, and patched everything myself (the reason they removed support was really really silly: see the toolbar with the gradient on the white/blacklist window of the new TeaTimer? Just for the possibility of using this, they gave up 95 compatibility... we were able to work around that though, without even giving up the gradients on 98 and newer). And I think I tested the new TeaTimer myself on various Win95 virtual machines we have here to make sure all the patching works. Some people may laugh at making stuff backwards compatible to operating systems older than 10 years, but recently I actually even worked towards ReactOS and Wine compatibility as well.

wk357mag
2006-12-07, 21:48
I use AVG Free edition, with no issues. Wonder why there is a differance!?!?

noel-pr7
2006-12-07, 22:14

I too have AVG Antivirus 7.5 Free Edition installed on my WinXP SP2 computer and have no problems with the sbsdtools15beta.exe file. maybe diverdan downloaded the file from a bad web site. try getting it from the Spybot web site instead of a mirror site.

PepiMK, I did try out Teatimer 1.5 on an old Win95 SR2 computer at my next-door neighbor's house and it works.

noel-pr7
2006-12-07, 22:17

what version of AVG Pro were you using, streetwolf?

I use AVG Free 7.5 and it didn't find anything wrong with it. AND I have the latest virus definition files for AVG Free installed. weird :scratch:

noel-pr7
2006-12-07, 22:20

which version of AVG Free, wk357mag? version 7.1 or 7.5

noel-pr7
2006-12-07, 22:45
I even installed AVG anti-spyware free edition (latest version & latest build) and it too found nothing wrong with the sbsdtools15beta.exe file.

note to diverdan and streetwolf: try downloading the sbsdtools15beta.exe file using Firefox or Seamonkey web browser instead of IE. do not use any third party download managers to get the file.

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-07, 23:09
noel-pr7:

It may be a mute point now since according to PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1) @ 2006-12-07 09:38 (GMT/UCT):

@diverdan: Just received this from AVG:

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the virus (Trojan Horse) on some legitimate applications. We
can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released the new virus update that removes the false positive on this application. AVG with newest update doesn't detect the file as a virus.

wk357mag
2006-12-08, 01:45
which version of AVG Free, wk357mag? version 7.1 or 7.5

I have the 7.5 Free edition, which updates daily, so it had the latest files onboard at that time.

rdsok
2006-12-08, 03:08
Hi all,

Randy ( rdsok ) Moderator from the AVG Free forum here...

I'd thought I'd clarify some issues concerning the AVG Pro detection that was mentioned. AVG Pro AntiVirus also detects adware and other potentially unwanted programs... AVG Free only detects standard ( if there is such a term today ) virus's, trojans and worms but not the others that Pro can detect. You should also note that Pro detected ( falsely in this case ) this as a Potentially Unwanted Program... not as a virus and there is a big difference as many here already know.

This is an important distinction that users really need to pay attention to with any protection program or they may be getting rid of a utility that they knowingly download and use for good reasons... a lot of good utils are detected by AV and AS programs just to alert the user to their presence and not to indicate that the program is malware of some sort. Commonly detected programs include network scanners, password retrieval utils and many others as well. So the point is... pay attention to what your software is really telling you about the items it is detecting and don't just blindly delete everything listed or you may loose something you don't want lost.

PS... just for good measure... I've tested with the AVG Free 7.1x and 7.5x as well as AVG Pro 7.5 versions against this and it still comes up as clean.. :bigthumb:

diverdan
2006-12-08, 04:07
Hi all,

Randy ( rdsok ) Moderator from the AVG Free forum here...

I'd thought I'd clarify some issues concerning the AVG Pro detection that was mentioned. AVG Pro AntiVirus also detects adware and other potentially unwanted programs... AVG Free only detects standard ( if there is such a term today ) virus's, trojans and worms but not the others that Pro can detect. You should also note that Pro detected ( falsely in this case ) this as a Potentially Unwanted Program... not as a virus and there is a big difference as many here already know.

This is an important distinction that users really need to pay attention to with any protection program or they may be getting rid of a utility that they knowingly download and use for good reasons... a lot of good utils are detected by AV and AS programs just to alert the user to their presence and not to indicate that the program is malware of some sort. Commonly detected programs include network scanners, password retrieval utils and many others as well. So the point is... pay attention to what your software is really telling you about the items it is detecting and don't just blindly delete everything listed or you may loose something you don't want lost.

PS... just for good measure... I've tested with the AVG Free 7.1x and 7.5x as well as AVG Pro 7.5 versions against this and it still comes up as clean.. :bigthumb:

you bring up some really great points about avg pro vs. avg free and also anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

great job on the quick response and modification of the definitions file. that's why i use avg pro. plus it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. :bighug:

rdsok
2006-12-08, 18:44
you bring up some really great points about avg pro vs. avg free and also anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

great job on the quick response and modification of the definitions file. that's why i use avg pro. plus it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. :bighug:

Your welcome... but I don't work for Grisoft, but they do respond very quickly to issues like these.. The moderators on the AVG Free forum are all just AVG Free users that have voluteered their time to help the other users.

Rednose
2006-12-09, 15:13
So far so good. No issues what so ever here :)

Greetz, Red.

dk2005
2006-12-11, 03:08
<snip>
Vista Security Center

The Windows Security Center included with Windows Vista has a dedicated entry for malware protection software.
Microsoft ships Windows Defender with Vista, however, Spybot-S&D can now easily integrate into the Vista Security Center; which will then monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not.

Download beta versions of above tools here (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sbsdtools15beta.exe)

I installed this tools on Vista Rc1 Build 5600. Even though Teatimer and Sdhelper were all on, it still showed this:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7499/untitledhx9.jpg

If I attempt to click turn on, it will just launch Spybot S&d and the status will still remain turn off.

Also, the text in Vista security centre shows like that:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4557/ddwn7.jpg

Windows defender and Spybot - Search _destroy both report that they are both turn off
The text is missing an &.

I don't know if these problems are fixed in later builds of vista but they sure are a problem in RC1.

PepiMK
2006-12-11, 13:35
Shouldn't be a problem in RC2 (5744), I don't have a VM of RC1 any more to test it there (edit: wait, or maybe it still is, see below).

Btw: Spybot-S&D has absolutely no way of influencing Windows Defender, so that bug won't come from us.

The thing about the amp (&) is that Windows can use this characters as a sign that the next caption is a shortcut letter, thus the & would not be displayed, but the following letter underlined. In those cases, one has to use a double amp (&&) to tell it to display the actual letter. The problem here is something you can see in the other screenshot: in one place Windows is interpreting it as a shortcut, in the other as a letter. We can provide only one name - so it's a bug in WSC ;)
Did you leave the checkboxes at the end of the setup on (Service Installation & Run service)?
Could you check if the SDWinSec service is running?
(Start) > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > SBSD Security Center Service
I'm going to improve some of the updating for a second beta ;)That "turn on" starts Spybot instead of TeaTimer, well that's because the SpybotSD.exe has not yet been replaced. Let me see... got an idea maybe... could you please test this (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sbsdvista15beta.exe)?

wk357mag
2006-12-11, 15:57
do you need any beta/RC testing done, on a WinXP system? If so, let me know. Dont mind helping out

dk2005
2006-12-11, 16:08
<snip>

Did you leave the checkboxes at the end of the setup on (Service Installation & Run service)?
Could you check if the SDWinSec service is running?
(Start) > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > SBSD Security Center Service
I'm going to improve some of the updating for a second beta ;)[/url]?

1. Yes, I check both boxes at the end of the setup.
2. Yep, is turned on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That "turn on" starts Spybot instead of TeaTimer, well that's because the SpybotSD.exe has not yet been replaced. Let me see... got an idea maybe... could you please test this?
Ones I installed it, Security centre started detecting that spybot is on.
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2852/untitledjn6.jpg

When I turned off teatimer through the windows taskbar, it takes a while(10sec) before security centre realized that spybot is off.

Then, I attempted to turn it on through the security centre, it works like a charm, teatimer was instantly turn on and shown in the taskbar.

But one thing to note that if when turning off/on teatimer through WSC, it dosen't affect the settings located at Spybot-->Advance mode-->Tools-->Resident.

Cheers.

PepiMK
2006-12-11, 20:39
Ok, Microsoft apologizes for not finding the & bug in testing, won't even be ready for SP1, so we'll probably change the "&" to "and" to workaround their bug :laugh:

Regarding the settings: hmmm yes, that's right. Right now it's just a silly starter. Good point :)

Xray70
2006-12-14, 13:30
before this update ihave message box issues now i can see all text inside and all button well placed but, i have new issues based on teatimer advices
One reg modify box pop and ask me confirmation about the change of my home page (like before was www.google.com now is www.google.com\ the only change is "\") i push on allow after choose remember my decision.
teatimer start spamming message box (like a colum from the sistray to the top of desktop) taking about white list and my decision that allow modify of registry.

I am at work (windows 2000 professional edition)cannot do screeshot, the only way to shut up this colum of messages (same text in all boxes) is to close teatimer.exe process from taskmanager.

I like spybot i hope to see a fix:bigthumb:

PepiMK
2006-12-15, 09:23
Could you take a look at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ ?

There should be a folder Snapshots (old TeaTimer) and Snapshots2 there. If you remove the second one, he'll redetect all current settings. Or maybe even better: remove the Excludes\RegKeyWhite.sbs file. Then, please try again.

noel-pr7
2006-12-16, 02:00
according to this Windows Vista Team Blog page (http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/12/13/announcing-customer-preview-program-cpp-best-effort-support.aspx), Windows Vista will be available to the public at the end of January 2007.

MartinHowe
2006-12-29, 17:33
Since installing the spyware 1.5 beta, changing any "do it on next boot" setting causes TeaTimer to repeatedly keep posting the "registry change allowed" messages on the desktop. It keeps stacking the notifications on top of each other and doesn't stop generating them until I turn off resident protection. It slows the system to a crawl!

This did NOT happen before installing the beta. This change occurs when, for example, you set chkdsk to run at boot for a drive that cannot be checked when the system is running.

The system is Windows XP, SP2 with all available updates installed.

Simon_owl
2007-01-01, 00:46
I noted that the new version stops for a long time when it finishes the bot check: the program seems to stop and shows the green bar full filled and the phrase "(54634/54634:ZlobZcodec)" for nearly or for more time it used to do the check, before showing the results of the scan, while in the version 1.4 the results were shown immediately after.
Is it its normal behaviour or a bug?

Thanks in advance - Simon

Simon_owl
2007-01-01, 01:50
I noted that the new version stops for a long time when it finishes the bot check: the program seems to stop and shows the green bar full filled and the phrase "(54634/54634:ZlobZcodec)" for nearly or for more time it used to do the check, before showing the results of the scan, while in the version 1.4 the results were shown immediately after.
Is it its normal behaviour or a bug?

I've found the problem - If you set the program to scan download directories, during the check of these folders no info message is generated and the last one (relative to the last bot check) is shown.
I think it could be considered a bug, anyway.

mcclausky
2007-01-02, 19:27
Hi,

Due the visual glitch with Teatime on Spybot 1.4, I was using Spybot v 1.3. I was working like that for the last couple of years, but I now I decided to try the new Teatimer Beta.

I installed Spybot Tools and now the problem is that everytime I delete an entry from the "System Startup" section (under tools) Teatimer is not giving alerts anymore. If I set some application to run on startup, TeaTimer won't alert me anymore! Is this a bug or something?

Thank you & Regards.

PepiMK
2007-01-03, 14:17
@Simon_owl: well yes and no, that option was never intended to be used much, but you're right, it's confusing.

@mcclausky: could you check if the Includes folder includes the necessary RegWatch.sbs?
And also how many files are inside C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2\?

mcclausky
2007-01-03, 18:01
@Simon_owl: well yes and no, that option was never intended to be used much, but you're right, it's confusing.

@mcclausky: could you check if the Includes folder includes the necessary RegWatch.sbs?
And also how many files are inside C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2\?

Yes, the include folder has the file RegWatch.sbs (6.43Kb 10/1/2006)

And, the are zero files in the Snapshots2 folder.

:sad:

PepiMK
2007-01-05, 23:46
6,43k & the date look like the real file. But in Snapshots2, there should be about fifty files or more.
Does the Logs folder contain files? I remember something about user access rights - when you first started Spybot as a limited user, it would create the AppData folder with access rights only for that user or something like that (an empty Logs folder as well would indicate that nothing can be written there). For 1.5, I've updated the code so that if you run Spybot with any admin account, it'll fix those rights automatically if necessary.

Btw @ all: the updates for TeaTimer & AdvCheck and a new tools.dll update are available as beta through the integrated function now.

kailasa108
2007-01-09, 09:46
Btw @ all: the updates for TeaTimer & AdvCheck and a new tools.dll update are available as beta through the integrated function now.

:spider: Hi, I'm new here. I recently found out about Spybot and really like it! However, in regards to this quote PepiMK...I just did an update today and did NOT get notified about the beta updates. Checking the log file, all that happened was the info file downloads. Soooo???
I wouldn't have even known about the betas except I just happened to find your post on securitycadets.com
I've downloaded the beta installer manually and am looking forward to installing it as the TeaTime window glitch IS a problem.

PepiMK
2007-01-09, 10:15
You need to switch to Advanced Mode, go to the settings page, and enable beta updates to be able to see them when you're looking for updates ;)

mcclausky
2007-01-09, 16:37
6,43k & the date look like the real file. But in Snapshots2, there should be about fifty files or more.
Does the Logs folder contain files? I remember something about user access rights - when you first started Spybot as a limited user, it would create the AppData folder with access rights only for that user or something like that (an empty Logs folder as well would indicate that nothing can be written there). For 1.5, I've updated the code so that if you run Spybot with any admin account, it'll fix those rights automatically if necessary.

Well today Snapshots2 folder contains 2 .reg files and one TimeStamps.ini file.

The Logs folder contains several .log and txt files.

And regarding the user access rights,I have admin privileges.

unclebobee
2007-01-10, 03:07
I am downloading the Beta Engine....will I have to download ALL the previous updates too, or will just downloading the latest one bring it up to date? Thank you !!

CEBII
2007-01-10, 18:06
No luck here with Win95A. We still get the errors:
Spybotsd.exe is linked to missing export user32.dll:endmenu
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I believe this is the oldest version of win95:
4.00.950a
IE 5.50.4807.2300

FAUST
2007-01-10, 19:20
Since installing the beta versions Spybot is now almost unusable as scan time has gone from approximatly 10 minutes to over 2 hours!:sad:

PepiMK
2007-01-11, 20:48
Has anyone else the same problem as mcclausky (I might have to think about a way to get more debug output from that)? I'm trying to decide whether to put TeaTimer public tomorrow or not ;)

advcheck.dll and tools.dll will do so for sure btw, and we may have another file available for beta asap.

@Faust: what kind of hardware?

@unclebobee: I think that was answered in another topic just two days ago :) Updates are not always full updates, but a combination of about a dozen files... whatever you need will be displayed during the update.

@Cebii: SpybotSD.exe itself is not yet updated to run on Win95 again (well, only on our machines here ;) ), the updates did include only TeaTimer so far.

bitman
2007-01-12, 06:50
I have a different issue I've discovered that I can duplicate on my Windows 2000 Professional system.

If I change the Home Page in IE 6 I get the TeaTimer Browser page, Value changed dialog for the Start Page with the correct Old and New Data as expected. However, when I try to Allow the change, the dialog re-appears after a couple seconds and this loop continues until I exit TeaTimer. The same happens whether I try to Allow or Deny the change.

I then attempted a change to the Search Page using the Spybot S&D Tools, Browser pages entry to change it to the default from the value created by SBC/Yahoo and the same issue occurs.

If this is repeatable, I don't understand why no one else has reported it yet.

Bitman

PepiMK
2007-01-12, 12:02
Maybe we've hidden betas too well? :laugh:

The new separated updater application that may be available next more clearly shows about betas:

http://www.spybot.info/images/spybotsd/sdupdate-start.png

Of course with the same warning dialog if users enable it, and using the main settings from the Spybot-S&D settings dialog as a default.

(and should someone wonder why its getting a separate application: 1. because this absolutely requires admin rights, which shouldn't be in a main application executable that may run with lesser rights, second to make scheduled updates faster and easier, and third to make the main app smaller, thus faster and using less memory)

Anyway, I won't make the TeaTimer beta available today as public for another reason (got some memory handling tweaks in mind I want to try this weekend), so I can test that in IE 6 as well.

The two DLLs are currently being uploaded though and manual updaters for them will follow on the website as well asap.

FAUST
2007-01-12, 14:58
@Faust: what kind of hardware?
Athlon XP 2400+
1Gb RAM
55GB & 114GB HD's
Windows 2000 pro sp4

unclebobee
2007-01-13, 08:30
Thank you for the update info....as I now understand it, when I download the updates, it will check what I have and fill in the rest ? Thank you !!

PepiMK
2007-01-14, 14:20
@Faust: seems to be the same thing as discussed here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10443) I think... should've looked deeper into it before making it public :D:

Btw, I guess I'll move this topic into the beta subforum, since its about beta mostly ;)

PepiMK
2007-01-15, 18:43
@bitman: I can't repeat it here :sick: Changed my startpage a dozen times at least :D
Could you give me the exact file version?

bitman
2007-01-16, 07:21
TeaTimer.exe

Size: 1446040
Version: 1.5.0.2
MD5: 00FA9709FB98A5F58EC6D4B3F2265C09

Have the same Home Page looping notification with both W2K and Vista RC2. Tried complete Spybot uninstall/re-install on Vista with no change. I was running the manual install 1.5 files (less SDHelper, which I'd reverted to 1.4 original) before the internal update was provided and installed.

Can't imagine what I might have installed that would cause this on two such different OS versions. Vista has virtually no additional apps except Office 2007, Windows Live OneCare and Adobe Acrobat 7.0.8.

Reggie Stry
2007-01-17, 13:39
You guys might want to take a look at my thread:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10505

For the last few days, I've been getting this message every time I boot up (Win 2000 Pro):

Teatimer has detected an unauthorized database change (RegGBTB2-Global.reg) This could be the result of a system crash or of manipulation. Do you want to verify each possibly affected registry key (if you do not feel up to that, press NO and do a full system scan)?

I also updated about a month ago with the beta version because of the "allow button" problem.

I have the file in two places:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2

To summarize my thread, it started soon after I edited my registry, closed a few services along with some ports that didn't have to be open.

PepiMK
2007-01-17, 17:39
We could finally reproduce bitmans problem, which happens only if TeaTimer starts with the Snapshots2 folder being empty... and that's where I rememberred your problem as well, could quite well be related.

I've planed hunting this down for tonight, already made sure there's enough coffee and cider :)

FAUST
2007-01-17, 18:18
already made sure there's enough coffee and cider :)
what a strange mixture. ;)

Reggie Stry
2007-01-18, 00:22
We could finally reproduce bitmans problem, which happens only if TeaTimer starts with the Snapshots2 folder being empty... and that's where I remembered your problem as well, could quite well be related.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my RegGBTB2 problem, but I'm going to uninstall Spybot tonight, clean the registry with Regseeker by searching for all Spybot and Teatimer references. Then I'll unplug from the net:

a) reinstall Spybot 1.4
b) reboot
c) connect to the net and update the definitions and
d) reboot again, and see if there's a message. Finally, I'll
e) reinstall the Beta upgrade and reboot.

I'll report the results on both the thread I started and this one.

PepiMK
2007-01-18, 01:17
I was working on both problems, and they were probably related ;)
Could you please close TeaTimer and replace the executable inside the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ folder with the one from this teatimer1503.zip (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/teatimer1503.zip), and try again?

bitman
2007-01-18, 06:16
We could finally reproduce bitmans problem, which happens only if TeaTimer starts with the Snapshots2 folder being empty... and that's where I rememberred your problem as well, could quite well be related.

Though the 1.5.0.3 TeaTimer version linked in your post fixes my issue on Windows 2000, the SnapShots2 folder wasn't empty. I can also return to the 1.5.0.2 version and again reproduce the looping prompts issue with Browser page Value changes, while using 1.5.0.3 will always fix it, with no other changes being made (renaming TeaTimer files only).

I don't know what the difference is, but at least the problem is fixed on W2K, I'll have to test Vista tomorrow, but wanted to at least report this tonight so you can move ahead.

< EDIT > Patrick, Would it be possible to add the TeaTimer File Version (Compile time variable?) into the TeaTimer Notification Tray Icon, About Information dialog? This would help a lot in support, with so many different versions of the file running around via so many deployment methods.

Thanks for considering this. Bitman

Reggie Stry
2007-01-18, 09:47
Could you please close TeaTimer and replace the executable inside the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ folder with the one from this teatimer1503.zip (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/teatimer1503.zip), and try again?

I must apologize. I reinstalled Spybot S&D 1.4 along with the Beta upgrade before I had a chance to read your reply. I rebooted after reinstalling v1.4, started Teatimer, and rebooted again, and the Teatimer RegGBTB2 file alert didn't appear. Nor did it appear after upgrading to the Beta version and rebooting. I made a copy of the old Spybot program file directory and the Applications/All users Spybot directory in the event you had some further information on the clsid I found in the Global-reg file or wanted to see other files in the Snapshots2 directory, which I also don't think was empty when the problem existed.

Bitman's suggestion about adding the file version when you right click on the Teatimer tray icon and select "About" is a good one. I had to check the Teatimer.exe file by opening Windows Explorer and right clicking to select properties and see the version number.

I am currently using Teatimer.exe version 1.5.0.0. Would you suggest that I upgrade to version 1.5.0.3?

One other thing - when I first activated Teatimer, the icon stated that about 1100 processes were blacklisted. Only when I rebooted did it change to its current total of 26,087 blacklisted processes. Is this normal?

PepiMK
2007-01-18, 11:35
@bitman: while we could reproduce it with no snapshots existing, that wasn't the source of the problem, so it may well be that on your machine it didn't work even with snapshots.
There's a small bug with the Manifest still, and with adding the version number to the dialog (good idea :2thumb:) it'll be another version still, so I may change that to 1.5.0.4 yet before putting it into the updates.

@Reggie Stry: if you rename the TeaTimer.exe to TeaTimer.bak, you can try out the new one, and step back quite easily by deleting the new and renaming the old one back. It would be very helpful if you would try the new one, so that I know if it helped or not!

About the number of processes blacklisted - the first one probably was before downloading updates? TeaTimer comes with a small list, and when you update, it'll use the regular detection updates as well (1.5 and newer does).

nOInfectIOn
2007-01-22, 14:17

Hello,
this is my first post in your forum and I would like to say at first THX for developing this useful freeware!

I tested 150-3 but after replacing tt-exe, the S&D-activity-icon in the task-bar disappeared [XP-SP2], also after rebooting. After deleting the file and reinstalling the first beta-version, the icon is back again. Is this a bug?

Greetings from good old germany, nOI-IOn

Btw, the public beta of Norton360 "warned" me and suggested the deinstallation of S&D... LOL

Parish
2007-01-23, 20:30
There is a problem with TeaTimer when run by multiple users in XP and you use Switch User rather than logging out as one user and logging in as another - it causes the PC to spontaneously reboot. It seems that TT doesn't like multiple instances running.

I originally posted about this probelm in this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=65250) where Bitman advised I try the latest beta version which I have done but the problem still persists.

PepiMK
2007-01-24, 13:04
Actually I did recently test concurrent user sessions on Windows Vista.
And while I experienced user switching to fail even without TeaTimer on one machine (where the reboot on user switching happened ALWAYS, with or without TeaTimer running), it passed the past successfully otherwise.

I'll test again on my Vista machine that's set up to the official testing guidelines before submitting this post...
Tested, works quite fine, I've switched a dozen times between two users both running TeaTimer, sometimes having TeaTimer dialogs open...

Are you sure this happens only when TeaTimer is open?

PepiMK
2007-01-25, 15:29
@Reggie Stry: any more progress? I would love to fix your problem, but without any feedback and no one else reporting about it, I'll have to close this case then.

@nOInfectIOn (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=17643): the 360 beta did this as well???

And had you tried to run just enable TeaTimer again after replacing?
You can start it manually, or using the Tools->Resident section in Spybot.

nOInfectIOn
2007-01-25, 17:53
the 360 beta did this as well???
And had you tried to run just enable TeaTimer again after replacing?

@PepiMK

S&D:
You asked and of course I made a second test and did my very best... but same procedure as last time ( ;) ).The activity-icon disappeared after replacing tt-exe 1,5,0,0 (Freitag, 24. November 2006, 13:30:00) [included in sbstools15beta-exe] with tt-exe 1,5,0,3 (Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007, 00:13:56). First I tried to restart the icon by (un/on)checking the tt-box in "Advanced mode" --> "Tools" --> "Resident" which didn´t work and after that I rebooted my beloved machine and checked et cetera --> the same result as described. But "System Startup" shows HK_CU:Run S&D,tt-exe enabled... it is only the icon, which is missing.
After deleting tt-exe and reinstalling sbstools15beta-exe and restarting S&D --> "Resident", the activity-icon was back again and no reboot was needed therefore.
[OEM-XP-SP2; Intel Pentium IV; 2,67GHz; 512 MB RAM; all with Windows-Update available Patches and Updates installed]

Symantec:
Yes, while I was installing public beta of Norton360 there was a popup with a warning, that the program is not able to work perfect with this freeware-neighbour on same HD, something like that... ;)

noi-

nOInfectIOn
2007-01-25, 20:27
The activity-icon disappeared after replacing tt-exe 1,5,0,0 (Freitag, 24. November 2006, 13:30:00) [included in sbstools15beta-exe] with tt-exe 1,5,0,3 (Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007, 00:13:56). First I tried to restart the icon by (un/on)checking the tt-box in "Advanced mode" --> "Tools" --> "Resident" which didn´t work and after that I rebooted my beloved machine and checked et cetera --> the same result as described. But "System Startup" shows HK_CU:Run S&D,tt-exe enabled... it is only the icon, which is missing.
After deleting tt-exe and reinstalling sbstools15beta-exe and restarting S&D --> "Resident", the activity-icon was back again and no reboot was needed therefore.

@PepiMK
I was able to reproduce exactly the same result on my holy laptop (...normally the opposite of playground, but I wanted to know, if this is a machine-specific problem ;) )

Fully updated S&D 1.4... then Beta 1.5.0.0... then tt 1.5.0.3: Bingo, activity-icon disappears... then deleting tt-exe and reinstalling of Beta 1.5.0.0: icon back again - q.e.d. :)
noi-

nOInfectIOn
2007-01-26, 18:25
the 360 beta did this as well???
--> http://forums.norton.com/norton360beta/search?submitted=true&type=message&q=spybot
(snapshot from today)
noi-

SpySentinel
2007-01-29, 01:56
PepiMK: I got a message before installing Norton 360 Beta saying you had to uninstall Spybot before installing N360. I skipped this, however, I juste wanted to let you know that that message came up for me too.

PepiMK
2007-01-30, 15:10
@nOInfectIOn: thank you very much for testing it on holy ground :)
Could you try this version (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=66780&postcount=9) as well? Took me a bit longer than expected, but I've integrated a new reporting mechanism that'll react on crashes (much like Windows Error Reporting on XP and Vista, but working on all Windows versions and including a bit more useful information ; )).

nOInfectIOn
2007-01-30, 19:05
I've integrated a new reporting mechanism that'll react on crashes.
Crash-reaction, that sounds interesting! But everything is working fine...
With this update the activity-icon-behaviour has returned to normal - on both machines... sorry for that ;)

CEBII
2007-02-08, 22:22
<snip>
@Cebii: SpybotSD.exe itself is not yet updated to run on Win95 again (well, only on our machines here ;) ), the updates did include only TeaTimer so far.

Will the Win95 friendly beta be available soon?

katana
2007-02-09, 01:19
I installed the beta version a couple of days ago and at first everything seemed fine.
Unfortunately last night Teatimer decided to eat my registry :shock:
It started with a normal popup about a registry entry being changed (the Real updater I think) I denied it as usual,
then it almost covered the screen in popups about new entries being made. AHHHH I thought and denied them all quickly---DOH.
They didn't stop coming so I disabled teatimer and rebooted into safe mode for a malware scan----All clean ?????
I rebooted in my normal account and everything I clicked came back with
This file has no associated program (or something similar )
Please set the file association in Control Panel--Folder Options--File Types
After a lot of swearing and yes I mean a LOT, I managed to re-associate a .reg file to work and merged a backup I had of the entire registry (thank god for paranoia :D )

Edit ---Win 2000 pro O/S

jonathanbean
2007-02-09, 04:33
I'm not clear: Is 1.5 intended ONLY for Vista? I know that the Vista version will have added anti-malware protection, but what of those of us who just bought XP computers (because Vista is going to be buggy for a while, IMHO)??

Is 1.4 the end of the road for XP SD.

PepiMK
2007-02-12, 11:43
@CEBII & jonathanbean: 1.5 will even bring back Win95 support as wqell.
The added anti-malware protection from Vista is a joke. First, the whole Vista package isn't Certified for Vista at all. And if Microsofts anti-malware protection actually follows their own standards, there is a documented way how malware is allowed to shut it down.

@katana: the full registry? TeaTimer does only monitor special parts, not everything :spider: But file extension handlers belong into that category. There was a possible problem with an older beta that used the old snapshots... could you take a look if you have a Snapshots2 folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ ?

katana
2007-02-12, 13:51
@katana: the full registry? TeaTimer does only monitor special parts, not everything :spider: But file extension handlers belong into that category. There was a possible problem with an older beta that used the old snapshots... could you take a look if you have a Snapshots2 folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ ?

Hi PepiMK
I don't know if it tied to eat the whole registry :D: but I only had a full backup available. I am not very clued up on the registry, and absolutely nothing would open or work so I went into panic mode and restored the lot.
Yes I do have the Snapshot2 folder, What info do you want from it ?

PepiMK
2007-02-12, 14:03
Just wanted to know if it exists, because then it isn't the very early TeaTimer beta variant that could have mixed file extension handlers ;)
I'm going to put another new TeaTimer into Beta tomorrow with yet a bit improved error handling in panic mode... and will take a look at the Real stuff, need to test something there anyway :)

katana
2007-02-12, 14:07
The teatimer message as something like:-

New registry value added

old data (blank)
new data %1

Bill Bolton
2007-02-14, 11:22
I have installed SD 1.4 and then the "sbsdtools15beta" on an IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook, running Vista Ultimate (RTM version) and rebooted.

The Vista Security Centre tells me "Windows Defender and Spybot - Search_Destroy both report that they are turned off".

If I click on the "Turn On" button, I get another dialog box that gives me the opportunity to "Turn on Spybot - Search Destroy"

If I select that, I get a warning about trusted appplications and if I click through that, the mainh Spybot 1.4 application loads.

Even after SD 1.4 loads, the Vista Security Centre still reports that ""Windows Defender and Spybot - Search_Destroy both report that they are turned off".

I'm certainly not able to use the Vista Security Centre to "monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not."

What's is going wrong here? :eek:

Cheers,

Bill

nafcom
2007-02-15, 01:23
I have installed SD 1.4 and then the "sbsdtools15beta" on an IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook, running Vista Ultimate (RTM version) and rebooted.

The Vista Security Centre tells me "Windows Defender and Spybot - Search_Destroy both report that they are turned off".

If I click on the "Turn On" button, I get another dialog box that gives me the opportunity to "Turn on Spybot - Search Destroy"

If I select that, I get a warning about trusted appplications and if I click through that, the mainh Spybot 1.4 application loads.

Even after SD 1.4 loads, the Vista Security Centre still reports that ""Windows Defender and Spybot - Search_Destroy both report that they are turned off".

I'm certainly not able to use the Vista Security Centre to "monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not."

What's is going wrong here? :eek:

Cheers,

Bill

I have the exactly same problem! Any ideas? I am using a geniue windows: Vista Ultimate 64bit System Builder. Languages installed German and English

noel-pr7
2007-02-21, 00:10
Will the Win95 friendly beta be available soon?

hopefully yes. in the meantime, here's the link to the updated spybotsd.exe 1.41 beta file which should run under Win95:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/temp/sbsd141pefix.zip
extract the spybotsd.exe file from the .zip file onto the folder where you installed the Spybot S&D software and overwrite the existing version with the newer one.

it would be nice if there was a 1.5 beta version of the spybotsd.exe main application file available for beta testing.

PepiMK
2007-02-21, 14:56
The last month has been mostly discussing and waiting for MS to make the Vista certification requirements more secure against malware. We've agreed in theory now, I'm just waiting for the final adjusted testing steps.
It probably wouldn't make sense to release a win95-compatible beta just a week or two before that, when the "Vista version" will be a "95 to Vista" version actually (not sure where to put the side-projects like Wine & ReactOS ;) ) and include the Win95 compatibility as well ;)

nafcom
2007-02-21, 16:38
The last month has been mostly discussing and waiting for MS to make the Vista certification requirements more secure against malware. We've agreed in theory now, I'm just waiting for the final adjusted testing steps.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know! :)

CEBII
2007-02-23, 20:30
hopefully yes. in the meantime, here's the link to the updated spybotsd.exe 1.41 beta file which should run under Win95:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/temp/sbsd141pefix.zip
extract the spybotsd.exe file from the .zip file onto the folder where you installed the Spybot S&D software and overwrite the existing version with the newer one.

it would be nice if there was a 1.5 beta version of the spybotsd.exe main application file available for beta testing.

It works :bigthumb: Thanks

FAUST
2007-02-28, 18:38
Is there any timescale for the final release of Spybot S&D version 1.5?

tashi
2007-03-03, 04:42
Is there any timescale for the final release of Spybot S&D version 1.5?

Sorry no, when ready it will be announced. ;)

sabrinawise1
2007-03-03, 17:20
Thanks for your program. I design websites for churches and get asked a lot about antivirus and spyware. It's great to know you all are trusted and your software works great!

nafcom
2007-03-05, 02:24
Sorry no, when ready it will be announced. ;)

Please fix the following problem: If I denied a change of an installer, it ends up in a loop telling me "change denied" and then I see 4-7 windows with the same message,l this doesn#t happen in xp pro and xp pro 54bit.

Thanks in advance

Med365
2007-03-20, 16:58
Hello, I installed the Beta TeaTimer and the Beta Rules with the updater, is the detection engine update aswell ?

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-20, 18:29
Med365:

Yes and no (it was updated two months ago).

The "Scanning engine" referred to on 2006-12-04 by PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1) in the first post (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=56333&postcount=1) of this topic is the advcheck.dll.

Scanning engine

This update cannot be disabled in the download package below; it is not only used if you install TeaTimer, but by the main Spybot-S&D scanner as well. The methods available to detect malware have been more than doubled, including new ways to generically detect malware mutations.
The new advcheck.dll was released in January 2007 and you have probably already picked it up as a regular (non-beta) update as the following item:
Advanced detection library 1.5.1 - !Advanced detection routines update (293 KB) - 2007-01-16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: To use the "ßDetection rules (beta)" you must go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > File Sets and check the following item:
Beta.sbi - For internal testing of new stuff only

Reggie Stry
2007-03-21, 00:02
Can someone summarize the files and version numbers that are included with the
sbsdtools15beta.exe download?

My current advcheck.dll version is 1.2.1.0, and my Teatimer version is 1.5.0.0.

Would it be possible in the future to include the Teatimer version number in the Teatimer "about" info, that appears when you right click on the icon?

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-21, 06:06
Reggie Stry:

Both programs that are installed by sbsdtools15beta.exe are old:
advcheck.dll 1.0.2.0 (November 27, 2006 11:09:52 PM)
TeaTimer.exe 1.5.0.0 (November 24, 2006 1:30:00 PM)

Reggie Stry
2007-03-22, 06:04
Reggie Stry:

Both programs that are installed by sbsdtools15beta.exe are old:
advcheck.dll 1.0.2.0 (November 27, 2006 11:09:52 PM)
TeaTimer.exe 1.5.0.0 (November 24, 2006 1:30:00 PM)

Thanks for the info. What's the latest Teatimer version? I'm going to search for it now.

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-22, 06:50
The latest beta TeaTimer.exe is Version: 1.5.0.6 (February 07, 2007 3:39:06 PM)

To download and install that ßTeaTimer 1.5:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (1 MB) - 2007-02-14
Click Download Updates.

Reggie Stry
2007-03-22, 07:34
Thanks for taking the time and for the explanation.
I started a new thread as I think it might be helpful for a one post Teatimer sticky (that can only be edited by the forum moderator).

The latest beta TeaTimer.exe is Version: 1.5.0.6 (February 07, 2007 3:39:06 PM)

To download and install that ßTeaTimer 1.5:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
Click Download Updates.

sergio monares
2007-03-23, 06:27
:spider:
We are proud to announce new versions of miscellaneous tools are now available for beta testing!

Scanning engine

TeaTimer

Aside from the fix of the graphical glitch so many users have been waiting for, there have been some important changes under the hood, which will reduce the number of change dialogs where the user has to decide.
TeaTimer now automatically allows any changes during the installation of other security software which follow the ASCs guideline of code-signing all files, as well as a much improved scan of the files associated with registry changes.

Vista Security Center

sergio monares
2007-03-23, 06:33
:funny:

ejg930
2007-04-03, 03:30
That TeaTimer update works great, thank you so much! It was almost painful attempting to click those buttons in Vista, especially when it was still in beta. :bigthumb:

tashi
2007-04-03, 04:09
Thanks for letting us know. :)

ejg930
2007-04-03, 04:48
TeaTimer won't let me change my screensaver, it keeps asking me for verification over and over again. I really would not like to disable TeaTimer, so any help would be appreciated.

Matt
2007-04-07, 00:01
@ md usa spybot fan:

I don't get the latest beta TeaTimer although I have configured the settings like you said. Can you or anyone else please help me? ;)

uremymate
2007-04-08, 20:27
how to uninstall the Vista integration (beta update)?

I uninstalled spybot and there are still files in the spybot dir.

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-09, 23:13
-Matt-

As I outlined in this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=75929&postcount=103) the following ßTeaTimer 1.5 version was available was available via Spybot's integrated update facility from 2007-02-14 until the updates of 2007-04-04:
That download installed TeaTimer version 1.5.0.6 and added the following files to the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes folder:
RegXLinks.sbs
X509White.sbs
I don't know why it is no longer listed as an available download.

Matt
2007-04-10, 00:33
I know your post ;) :funny:

Thanks for your answer.

MysticalOS
2007-04-15, 05:52
how to uninstall the Vista integration (beta update)?

I uninstalled spybot and there are still files in the spybot dir.

I've been wondering same thing, i installed it on Vista Ultimate and not only does it not work (it appears as a spyware option in security center but the option to turn it on is indefinitely grayed out)but it can't even be uninstalled.

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-15, 19:27
Team Spybot:

ATTENTION PLEASE!

If there is going to be a meaningful beta program for Spybot, could someone please take a few minutes to straighten out the problems with the delivery and testing of the betas.

If someone uses the Download beta versions of above tools here (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sbsdtools15beta.exe) link in the first post in this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=56333&postcount=1) they:
Get one of the original beta versions of TeaTimer.exe:
Version: 1.5.0.0.
Time stamp: November 24, 2006 1:30:00 PM.

Instead of the more recent beta version of TeaTimer.exe originally published via Spybot's integrated update facility:
Version: 1.5.0.6.
Time stamp: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:39:06 PM.

Note: This version is no longer available via Spybots integrated update facility since the 2007-04-04 updates.

Regress the advcheck.dll to an old beta version:
Version: 1.0.2.0
Time stamp: Monday, November 27, 2006 11:09:52 PM

Instead of the current production advcheck.dll delivered via Spybot's integrated update facility:
Advanced detection library 1.5.1 - !Advanced detection routines update (293 KB) - 2007-01-16
Version: 1.2.1.0
Time stamp: Monday, January 15, 2007 9:14:22 PM
Delivered via Spybot's integrated update facility as:

Or the current beta version of the advcheck.dll also delivered via Spybot's integrated update facility:
ßAdvanced detection library 1.5.2 - !Advanced detection routines update (314 KB) - 2007-04-04
Version: 1.5.1.0
Time stamp: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:23:24 AM
As indicated above, the latest TeaTimer.exe beta (Version: 1.5.0.6) that I was aware of disappeared from Spybot's integrated update facility with the updates of 2007-04-04. To make matters worse, PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1) indicated on that same date in this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=78203&postcount=4) in the following thread that there was a TeaTimer version 1.5.0.7:
bug in teatimer1.5
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=12153

Which TeaTimer beta version was that exactly?

The most up-to-date one is 1.5.0.7, …
Also on that date a new version of the beta advcheck.dll appeared in Spybot's integrated update facility without announcement in the forum:
ßAdvanced detection library 1.5.2 - !Advanced detection routines update (314 KB) - 2007-04-04
Version: 1.5.1.0
Time stamp: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:23:24 AM
If anyone is trying to get meaningful information from Spybot's beta tests, the people willing to test must be able to:
Easily determine what the latest beta versions of the various programs are.
Where to download those beta versions.
And how to regress those versions should they run into problems while testing.
Thank you for your consideration,
md usa spybot fan

FAUST
2007-04-15, 21:43
Team Spybot:

ATTENTION PLEASE!

If there is going to be a meaningful beta program for Spybot, could someone please take a few minutes to straighten out the problems with the delivery and testing of the betas.
[snip]
If anyone is trying to get meaningful information from Spybot's beta tests, the people willing to test must be able to:
And how to regress those versions should they run into problems while testing.Thank you for your consideration,
md usa spybot fan

I couldn't agree more, someone needs to take control of the beta testing situation. It seems to be somewhat chaotic at the moment.

At the very least an announcement in the forum with a change log for each new beta version would be really helpful.

Matt
2007-04-16, 22:55
We don't need information about the changlogs of the betas necessarily I think. But you're right, in some way it's a little bit chaotic :rolleyes:
Someone of Team Spybot should take care of this problem, cause it would be no big deal I guess.

mikey
2007-05-02, 00:56
Sorry wrong page. :)

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-02, 01:10
Sorry wrong page. :)
Another post by mikey (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=31) around the same time frame:
Antispyware_2007
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=13378

mikey
2007-05-02, 01:41
That's what happens when you have too many pages up. :) Sorry.

poppylove
2007-05-12, 16:11
So I could download 1.4, then upgrade the files to beta, is that correct?

cchance
2007-05-14, 08:01
I love the vista integration but what i want in the next beta is much more indepth immunization... i mean its good how it is but more is what i want

paranoid87
2007-06-11, 15:58
does it integrate with winXP too? like Vista?

t001z
2007-06-15, 20:10
does it integrate with winXP too? like Vista?

Well if you read the very first post in this thread, you would have seen this part:

Vista Security Center

PepiMK
2007-06-20, 10:38
And how to regress those versions should they run into problems while testing.

Good points! As a first step, I'll make version numbers easier to find than having to look at file properties. And create a page on the website dedicated to beta information!

Chuck
2007-06-25, 04:17
Well if you read the very first post in this thread, you would have seen this part:

Well, lots of folks don't have bunches of time to read multiple pages of each long thread, so they fast forward to see what the latest news is. I think that is a good reason for having all beta release downloads in an obvious and perhaps locked thread. And to have the board's default settings not break threads into so many separate pages. I guess I'm getting old, but it seems far too common nowadays to reply to requests for help by posting a link from some other thread and without saying so in so many words that the person requesting the help is either too lazy or too dim to warrant the favor of a kind response. On the other hand, I do understand, however, that sometimes folks don't even check the FAQs before posting, and I certainly am not condoning that. More often than not, I think it is the tone or attitude of posts that can cause misunderstandings... I've gone off topic. I'm done. Thanks.

wk357mag
2007-06-25, 16:34
Good points! As a first step, I'll make version numbers easier to find than having to look at file properties. And create a page on the website dedicated to beta information!

You may also want to consider changing the name of the installer to show beta version. 1.5b1, 1.5b2, 1.5b3. Indicating Beta 1, 2, 3. These being the official released betas for testing. So 1.5b3 would be the third released beta test from you.

PepiMK
2007-06-26, 15:27
Well, it's "1.5.1.12 beta" now; might make the next one clearer by using "1.5.1.nn (beta 3)" ;)

wk357mag
2007-06-26, 16:41
Well, it's "1.5.1.12 beta" now; might make the next one clearer by using "1.5.1.nn (beta 3)" ;)

Internal naming is fine, I was mentioning the actual name of the file we download to install from. So far they have all been called "spybotsd15". Name next "spybot15b3" this way we know we have the latest file prior to download. Though I guess doing this makes it so you have to change HTML on webpage.

Gabrielz_Halo
2007-07-06, 00:32
I don't use the Teatimer facility, just the scanner as a backup, once a week; which itself is an excellent program. Incidentally, I found the speed of the scanning noticably faster after the 1.5 beta upgrade.

I also do not use the Teatimer option but ONLY because the buttons are cut off ive recently gone through to completely perfect my system and the Teatimer would be perfect for my needs but when i enabled it again (as i forgot it was like that) Tons of pop ups for registry changes bombarded me and i quickly disabled it again because even though the registry changes have already been made they still pop up and ask. and going through that many with only 30% of the button visable is a pain... i am eagerly anticipating the fixed Teatimer grafix for XP as i will NEVER switch to vista im scared to know how many of you have.. i wish there was something i could do to help Patrick and the team making the Teatimer FULLY functional again would in my opinion bring it back to the top of the list in anti-spyware software as avg is very limited in freeware and seems to detect alot of the good stuff and not enough of the bad stuff where SBSAD reigns supreme

Gabrielz_Halo
2007-07-06, 01:06
I also do not use the Teatimer option but ONLY because the buttons are cut off ive recently gone through to completely perfect my system and the Teatimer would be perfect for my needs but when i enabled it again (as i forgot it was like that) Tons of pop ups for registry changes bombarded me and i quickly disabled it again because even though the registry changes have already been made they still pop up and ask. and going through that many with only 30% of the button visable is a pain... i am eagerly anticipating the fixed Teatimer grafix for XP as i will NEVER switch to vista im scared to know how many of you have.. i wish there was something i could do to help Patrick and the team making the Teatimer FULLY functional again would in my opinion bring it back to the top of the list in anti-spyware software as avg is very limited in freeware and seems to detect alot of the good stuff and not enough of the bad stuff where SBSAD reigns supreme

Sorry posted too soon of course i did spend a good 2 hours looking b4 posting this but only 30 min more and i would have had it http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122&highlight=Solution+pop-ups+TeaTimer for those of you still looking hopefully my first post and this one will help redirect you to the solution it worked like a charm.. my next step will be to make a S&D slipstream autoinstall for xp with the fix already in it :) thanx gang

fred2028
2008-02-07, 00:38
Hi, I installed Spybot with WSC integration for Vista. How can I remove this integration? Thanks!

spybotsandra
2008-02-07, 14:17
Hello,

Please upgrade to the new Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

You can also do it manually. Please have a look at this flash tutorial on:
How to remove the Spybot-S&D Windows Security Center entry (http://www.safer-networking.org/flash/howto/overview.html)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot