PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Download Updates

Tarheel
2005-10-27, 17:50
Efforts to download updates results in an error message, "Error w/Hosts server #11001," pops up. What does this mean? How do I gain access to get the latest downloads? Thank you.

spybotsandra
2005-10-27, 18:09
Hello,

Please take a look at your security settings of your firewall (if you are using one) and make sure that Spybot-S&D is not blocked. That should help to get into the updates. If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try it again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Here is the direct download link:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe
Just download and run that file - it is selfinstalling.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

kenalcock
2005-10-28, 19:24
When I check for updates I get the error message:

Error retrieving update info file.

Socket error #10061
Connection Refused
I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. And Norton Internet Security 2002. I've set the Firewall to allow SpyBotSD.exe through. However, when NIS firewall is enabled, the message above occurs, when it is disabled, the connection works just fine.

In this case, it is quite clear that this error message is not related to a server being down. It has to do with the firewall not correctly permitting SpyBotSD.exe through it.

So what firewall rules should be created to permit SpyBotSD.exe to connect through a firewall. Disabling the firewall is NOT an acceptable answer; this is a huge security risk with a high-speed connection!

tashi
2005-11-15, 06:53
Hello kenalcock.

You have made sure that the XP PRO SP2 firewall is disabled?

Are you sitting behind a proxy server?

If so go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

So what firewall rules should be created to permit SpyBotSD.exe to connect through a firewall.

There being so many different firewalls available it would be difficult to generalize.

It is unfortunate that a product such as NIS Firewall does not appear to have a support forum to ask such questions. If you know of one I'd appreciate the link. :)

Here is a link that may be helpful:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=259337

el cpu
2005-11-15, 07:15
For whatever it is worth I also had Norton Internet Security 2002 and ended up discarding it after many problems; that version (2002) is now very outdated. You could consider updating to Norton 2006 which is now available or perhaps just enabling the Windows XP sp2 firewall (one way only, does not protect with outgoing). Do you have a wireless router? If you do that may well have a hardware firewall built it.