PDA

View Full Version : Pb to get Spybot running as a task with XP

trilling
2005-12-12, 12:27
I've installed Spybot 1.4 under XP Pro (SP2) with the firewall NOT activated.

Both the scanning and the updating work.

What I can't go is get the application to install into the system tray. When I try and close the application it minimizes itself into an icon in the Quick Launch area and the process disappears from the Windows Task Manager.

One last thing, the Windows XP is a corporate edition. Could this be the cause? It might be easy to say NO, but haven't had any problems running it with the non corporate edition. I see no reason while the corporate edition should create problems but ... :confused:

captain_gut
2005-12-12, 14:54
The system tray icon is for Spybot-S&D's resident tool TeaTimer only.
Do you already have this tool enabled? In order to do so, please switch to "Advanced Mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and go to "Tools" --> "Resident".
There tick the checkbox for Resident "TeaTimer". This should enable TeaTimer and make the system tray icon appear.

Flo

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-12, 14:56
SpybotSD.exe does not stay resident when you close it and therefore there is no system tray icon associated with it. A system tray icon is only present when TeaTimer is active. TeaTimer is an "Advanced mode" feature that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system to prevent certain malicious processes from starting.

To activate TeaTimer: Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Check the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Note: There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's pup-up dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
Disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.