PDA

View Full Version : Listenindex uberschreitet das Maximum (17)

Martychgo
2006-12-08, 16:30
And yes, I am in the USA, with what I thought was an English install. Not being a German speaker, I have no idea what to do with this message that has just started popping up when I launch SD. The symptoms seem to be related to a failed update with PlanetMiror. Other associated weirdness - the fonts look different, and when I blow past this error I get taken to a screen on installed network drivers and protocols, which is a toolset I don't recall enabling... I've disabled the software until I understand what is going on.

Anyone else seeing this? It's happened on three PCs all of which talked to PlanetMirror at 9 AM EST this morning.

Thanks,

Pricey.

Please take a look at this topic (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9594)... sounds imho like all three PCs are running version 1.3 still?

(Only two people who supplied information after asking for this were running 1.3, and we could reproduce it on 1.3 only. We'll provide a manual update that's compatible with 1.3 asap, but recommend STRONGLY to use 1.4 instead ;) )

I just updated the Spybot - Search & Destroy software and getting the same
error when lunching the software. Is the any fix for that?

Also I do not see the version number in the Help =>About. The Copyright shows 2000-2004,
so it probably is 1.3

Paul

I think I am on 1.4 although the About page no longer lists the version. Most of the pages "look" different now.

Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall is required now?

Peter

I have S&D 1.4 running on a Dell 3.6 P4 with WINXPSP2 pro and 1 gb of RAM with lots of virtual memorey. When I downloaded the new update today 8 Dec I got an error message: ""Listenindex uberschreitet das Maximum (17)." My Spybot would not detect the definitions and would no longer display the Help About software rev level. I cleared my cache and cookies and rebooted to no avail. No system changes or installations had been done. No other programs spyware or otherwise appear to have any problems. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

I am running S&D 1.4 and did the update this morning 8 Dec and got the same error message. The version is no longer display and the program does not appear to find the definitions so it can run. The network like page is displayed when I click ok on the error message.

PepiMK
2006-12-08, 20:35
Ok, somehow the forum software merged posts, not topics :D
Blame Martychgo for double-posting ;)

So to summarize what I accidently merged, we've got two cases where on thinks he is on 1.4, and the other won't mention it.

So again, please take a look at the linked topic (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9594) to see a sure way to determine your version!

davidbaldwin
2006-12-08, 21:03
I also got this error dialog today, after downloading the updates. I also cannot determine what version I'm using because somehow, the Help/About page only says Spybot-S&D and there is no version or updates information visible.

The english translation is "List index exceeds maximum" (courtesy of Altavista/Babelfish). No idea what that means either, but obviously something from the updates dated today (8 Dec) has exceeded something in this software or this version?

I'm using Win98SE (ya, I know...) and I guess I'll download the latest and see if the problem goes away.

PepiMK
2006-12-08, 21:06
Please, just read the linked topic! You don't need the version number, there are two methods named there, by identifying the new icons and the copyright year!

Here they are again!

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8956/identifysbsd13lq2.png
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3851/identifysbsd14yp2.png

PepiMK
2006-12-08, 21:12
Update: Updates have been replaced with a version that should run under Spybot-S&D 1.3 without this problem. Still, I'll repeat that we urgently recommend upgrading :)

Martychgo
2006-12-08, 22:59
Alternative versions to find date and rev level did not work for me. Went to Explore/Programs and found the application right clicked to get properties, clicked on the version tab and found, guess what, I had 1.3 :(

Uninstalled 1.3, downloaded and installed and updated 1.4 and everything is fine now - end of story. Not sure where I missed or how I should now there was a product update?

pricey
2006-12-09, 03:56
Running the older version 1.3 - I will update and report back. However I can defintely confirm that the version number has evaporated from help/about, and the only way I can tell is from the copyright years.

Thanks,

Pricey.

JNspybird
2006-12-09, 03:59
None of the illustrated screenshots showing "easy" ways to identify the version of SpyBot I have matched what I actually see - there's no drop down section on the lefthand side, no licence info, no version info on any menu or display like th ered arrows etc suggest.

Control Panel -> add/remove programs told me I had 1.3

Like other people I had the funny error message immediately after applying updates.

Why doesn't the online update process tell us that there is a newer version than 1.3 available?

davidbaldwin
2006-12-09, 04:55
Ok, uninstalled 1.3 and installed 1.4. Error message is gone, but I'm sorry I installed 1.4. It's incredibly slow compared to 1.3. No idea why it takes so long to scan. It won't even do a usage tracks scan - just sits there and thinks. Oh well. I set it to scan only cookies as a user-defined combination. Took well over three minutes. That's crazy. I only have less than 50 cookies on my computer. Something happened between 1.3 and 1.4 that makes my system cringe. Oh well. Better luck next time. 1.3 was good while it lasted.

Debbie 58
2006-12-09, 10:52
I too had problems yesterday. I was so relieved when I looked at the forums today that I was not the only one! I would like to add my own observations for the Spybot team who are so helpful.

I was running 1.3. So I assumed I needed to upgrade. I removed 1.3 using the uninstall Sybot file. When I rebooted I was unable to start my computer as something called Microsoft Office. ink is in my startup folder and the uninstall spybot file had somehow corrupted this. Luckily I set a restore point so I went back and then it was telling me I could not uninstall spybot as it did not exist even though it was still in my add/remove programs. The same message appeared if I tried to remove in add/remove programs or if I attempted to use spybots own uninstall.

A friend then suggested I simply install 1.4 as the next step. This I did and it worked. I now have 1.4 in my add/remove programs ( 1.3 no longer appears there) and I was able to download updates, scan and remove anything it found.

All seems fine now. I even went into the add/remove programs and found that the uninstall option was working in there. I did delete the old uninstall spybot from the all programs folder yesterday as it still gave me an error even after I had upgraded to 1.4.

My only concern really is the fact that by uninstalling spybot I corrupted something else namely microsoft office.ink whatever that may be.I am not very computer knowledgeable so I cant add anything more about that.

For your info I use XP with SP2.

pricey
2006-12-09, 19:18
Confirm that an upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 has resolved the problem caused by the Friday update.

I would agree with the suggestion above that some form of notice of a version "pop" out of the tool would be good. I was asleep at the wheel!

And let me say once again, because I can't say it often enough - great software - great job guys and gals.

Cheers,

Pricey

PepiMK
2006-12-10, 17:53
@pricey: Actually there was some note in 1.3 telling you to update to 1.4. Sadly, it was a one-time only note, probably easy to click away ;) We'll try to think of something better.

Thank you :)

@Debbie 58: Regarding the "MS Office" thing: that was an item you disabled for running on startup through the tools section in Spybot-S&D. Disabling works by changing the file extension of the autostart link, so that Windows won't run it itself. If Spybot-S&D is deinstalled, the handler for this file extension is missing - but except for a warning messafe from Windows, the computer will boot anyway, it shouldn't case "unable to start my computer" ;) And you could manually remove the link whenever you want (or rename it back), but installing 1.4 should've helped as well.

@davidbaldwin: 1.4 has way more mechanisms to detect things. While 1.3 may appear faster, it wasn't as thorough ;) If it's only about usage tracks, I would recommend that you empty the cache of all your browsers and try again to see if this is the source of the problem. A huge browser cache can contain thousands of small files...

JNspybird
2006-12-11, 03:10
re: note in 1.3 advising people to upgrade to 1.4

If it ony happened once: do you mean it would have happened for me with my fairly recent install of 1.3, or that it happened - say - only to those users using 1.3 eg a year or two ago? Reminders need to keep happening.

I don't altogether like the way that users like me unknowingly running a downlevel version of SpyBot have had it install an update meant only for version 1.4 - can't the updates be restricted to the version they're suitable for?

PepiMK
2006-12-11, 17:09
We could increment the minimum build probably; the reason why we wanted to allow updates for 1.3 users still is mostly that 1.4 won't run on Windows 95, and we can't (yet) make updates visible for specific OS only. Good point to keep in mind for the upcoming changes though :)

Debbie 58
2006-12-11, 18:10
Pepi MK thank you so very very much for that.

I have now amended so that it no longer shows as disabled in the startup folder.

1.4 is much better altho it takes longer to scan.

I had an entry that kept reappearing in 1.3 called Microsoft Active.Desktop following a pest trap infection a few months ago. Spybot saved my computer then.

1.4 seems to have removed it on the first scan. (fingers crossed its gone for good)

You guys do a fantastic job!