PDA

View Full Version : How to lauch wizard to create registry backup?

q0987
2006-12-12, 15:22
Hello all:

I have installed Spybot and used several times.
Now I would like to find the launch wizard (during the first time) that can help me to create registry backup.

thank you
-daniel

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-12, 16:41
If you are trying take the same registry backups after you have installed Spybot-S&D that are optionally taken during the installation process, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > Click on the Wizard button at the top of the settings screen. After you "Create registry backup" click next until you get to step 7 of 7 and then click “Start using the program”. Since you are already running Spybot the wizard terminates.

When you "Create registry backup" there are two files created as back-ups: regLocal.reg
regUsers.reg
The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups

q0987
2006-12-13, 04:53
Thank you very much!
-Danyu

q0987
2006-12-13, 05:24
Hello all:

I have one more question on this topic.

After I generated the "Create registry backup", how do I let Spybot restore my
registry by using these two files(regLocal.reg, regUsers.reg) to overwrite the existing system registry.

Thank you

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-13, 06:02
There is no facility that I am aware of within Spybot to restore from these backups. Since they are .reg files, to use them all you would have to do is double on the file(s) and Registry Editor should start. If you then clicked "Yes" the content of the file would be added/merged into the registry. You then click "OK" to close the program.

These backups are relatively large portions of the systems Registry and I personally would hesitate to use those backups to restore the Registry (at least in their entirety) because once you've run your system for any period of time they would be outdated and could possibly do has much harm as good.