PDA

View Full Version : First Time Posting...

Paladin
2006-12-15, 18:55
If I'm posting this in the wrong section, please forgive me as I'm new at this. I was experiencing a 'redirecting' problem on Internet Explorer (IE). Each time I Googled a name of an individual, and attempted to read their bio on Wikipedia, I was being redirected (or possibly hi-jacked) to another, unintended web-site. I was on the telephone 3 consecutive days with technicians at CA; each time they resolved the problem, it returned the following day. And, I make it a point not to frequent any unsavory or questionable web-sites only frequenting Yahoo, Google, Wikipedia and perhaps PokerStars.

One technician at my ISP highly recommended that I use FoxFire, exclusively which I do. And, I've also noticed that the redirecting problem has not returned because I occasionally check it with IE. I was advised by a technician at PokerStars that I have a rootkit problem. He highly recommended I visit this web-site.

I read a thread or 2 with what appeared to be a similar problem and the gentleman who gave advice was PSKelley. I followed a few of his recommendations by installing Spyware Doctor. This scanner found 257 infected files however I was unable to remove them because the form that they use was cut in half as I use a double monitor.

I also installed Spybot and it said that I had 63 infected files which it eliminated, entirely. I ran the Fixwareout software and was advised to post the report:

Fixwareout
Last edited 12/06/2006
Post this report in the forums please

Reg Entries that were deleted

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Random Runs removed from HKLM

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, There WILL be legitimate FILES LISTED. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.

»»»»» Search by size and names...

»»»»» Misc files

»»»»»
Search five digit cs, dm and jb files
This WILL/CAN also list Legit Files, Submit them at Virustotal

It would appear that it didn't find anything harmful.

Incidentally, my operating system is a Windows 98SE. I am using a router (non wireless) and Computer Associates Anti-Virus. I ran both their scan and Trend Micro and both found nothing.

I am very confused if I have this rootkit, or malaware, or smitfraud, or any other bugs that are as of late, surfacing. I noticed an ATF-Cleaner that PSKelley recommended but it says that it is only designed for Windows XP and 2000. I am sometimes hesitant to d-load and install some recommended software because I understand that it will not work well with Windows 98SE. I also was previously using Ad-Aware and cannot grasp why it didn't manage to pick-up all these infected files that Spyware Doctor claims that I have? Is it also possible to purchase Spyware Doctor in a computer store that sells software?

Anyone imparting helpful information will be most appreciated. thanking you in advance, until then I remain...

Very truly yours,

Wm. Palladin
PS: You're also welcome to reply directly to my e-mail which I've permitted at the start of my registering.

tashi
2006-12-15, 19:04
Hi there.

If you would like someone to take a look at logs and assist you in the removal of any malware that might be present on the System, please follow the procedure in this link:
"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps and scanning with SPYBOT-S&D (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

Please do not follow instructions given to any other member (even if the problem appears to be similar) by our helpers, start your own topic for an analysis.

Cheers.