PDA

View Full Version : New to A.S. software- Please help.

lyndon
2006-12-16, 07:15
I'm new to antispyware, and need help understanding what findings are safe to remove.
Many listings have 'none' for the recommendation, but will have red alerts. I have read in some forums that removing certain findings can create alot of problems with other applications and/or hardware function, or that just installing SpyBot itself can disrupt some funtioning.

A simple example: I downloaded and installed a screensaver from a link at CNET, and it worked great for a few days, but now SB is telling me there's a registry problem and "denies a registry change" when I try to use the screensaver. A minor issue in itself, but an example of my not knowing what to do with these messages, or how to fix anything.

I have looked at the tutorials, but they instruct me on what I may or may not want to do about things I'm not familiar with yet.

I really appreciate someones patience to help. Thanks.

Danny
2006-12-16, 17:45
Hello
Installing Spybot itself normally don't bring problem.....with Tea Timer,sometimes some softwares (antivirus with suite are most frequent)don't appreciate this.........it's only to you to see...and desactive Tea Timer if it's recommanded
When Spybot find red items you must quarantine theses ones...tracking cookies are red items and they are less nocive than many others(just privacy violation)...but you should deleted them.....everything that Spybot find must be quaratine and before to do this action look to see at which softwares are bonded this items(sometimes you can have false positive ) and the reconizing of the software it,s not synonym of security....some softwares brings with them malwares .....and if you have some problems with a software(s) you just have to restore you quarantine in Spybot....search for the item and rescan and quarantine the indesirables.When you restore a quarantine you find your computer as before the suppression...and everything is replace
if you use Spybot with Tea Timer protection and everything goes well with your screensaver(if Spybot and your antivirus not detected malwares in scans),it can be normal to tea timer to detect a change when screensaver goes on ......if this operation is under your control,you just have to accept this modification and the screensaver will work well....normally......and you can desactive the tea timer protection...it's not a vital fonction....but a "must" to have...
Bye

Danny
2006-12-16, 18:10
Recovery is the term used in English version of Spybot......quarantine is for me the recovery (i have the french version that,s why i mentionne "quarantine" at the place of "recovery" because i was not inform about the exact english term used in Spybot to translate to "sauvegarde")
Bye

Danny
2006-12-16, 18:56
http://pix.nofrag.com/09/30/0531ac474ffb575b497d7d901bcc.jpg (http://pix.nofrag.com/09/30/0531ac474ffb575b497d7d901bcc.html)
If you accept this modification you can do "Remember this decision"...in that way teatimer will not advise you for this future modification......
Bye