PDA

View Full Version : False Positives

Searcher
2006-12-18, 03:36
Spybot has found a problem, and I would like your assistance here please.

Is this a false positive or should i remove it? I have included the last report that found this, and also a full report, incase there are other issues at hand, that may have altered my system, be it bad or good. Since i had to uninstall my old version of Spybot and install the latest version 1.4
Your time and help is muchly appreciated.

Regards,
Searcher

Yodama
2006-12-18, 09:35
hi,

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Is not a false positive, but it is also not necessarily malicious. It is more like a warning, since malware can also change this.
The entry above shows that the Windows Security Center does not monitor your Antivirus Software and thus will not warn you if it stops working.
This can also be done by your security software to avoid double warning messages. Since your Antivirus appears to be working you can set Spybot to ignore the found entry.

Searcher
2006-12-18, 19:58
hi,

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Is not a false positive, but it is also not necessarily malicious. It is more like a warning, since malware can also change this.
The entry above shows that the Windows Security Center does not monitor your Antivirus Software and thus will not warn you if it stops working.
This can also be done by your security software to avoid double warning messages. Since your Antivirus appears to be working you can set Spybot to ignore the found entry.

Thanks for help Yodama, :bigthumb:

I went to the ignore product list and checked it, and also the microsoft.windowssecuritycenter.antivirusdisablenotify This also was not a problem found, I read in one of Spybot's previous forums. I will assume you found no other major risks in the full report I sent you. Whew! Hope I did this right? and it is my pleasure dealing with Pro's.
Best Regards!