PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirus/FirewallDisableNotify

razorcanes
2006-12-20, 07:13
Hi, new here...

as described in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9016, and in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=58111, I have also gotten the "microsoft.windowssecuritycenter.antivirusdisablenotify" and the "microsoft.windowssecuritycenter.firewalldisablenotify" alerts when I use the free spybot search+destroy software.

I'm running WinXP SP2, which has an OEM microsoft security center option. I also have mcafee security center installed - with mcafee firewall and mcafee virusscan, and I use only the mcafee security center and have disabled the XP security center.

when I have run spybot in the past, and have allowed it to "fix" or "remove" the microsoft/antivirus/firewall.disable thing, without fail the next time I restart my computer mcafee has asked me to choose mcafee security center as my default again.

I'm wondering if spybot isnt picking up whatever code mcafee uses to keep windows from interfering in it's security process, and identifying it as possible spyware. if this is painfully obviously the truth, please feel free to point and laugh, but I do not have nor have I ever had "mailskinner" or "mywaysearch" installed on my computer.

thanks in advance - this is great software, thank you for your time and effort to help keep my computer as secure as is permissible.

Zenobia
2006-12-20, 07:48
Please see here:

Note the part about McAfee:

Since the Detections Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date.

If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot to exclude those detections from further scans.
In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot will still detect those.
The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.

The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Some more information is also available in our forum.

Also,if you highlight the detection with your mouse,Spybot will give you this description after you click the bar over to the right:
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntivirusDisableNotify

Company: Microsoft
Product: Windows Security Center
Threat: Changed Security Center Settings

Functionality
This entry only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" has disabled one or more notifications in the Windows security center.
If you’ve changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot to exclude those detections from further searches. In order to do this please right click on each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future searches". That way, should any other part of security center settings change Spybot will still detect those. For more information please visit our forum linked above.

"Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify" , if this is found, the Security Center does not notify about the antivirussoftware.
This could have been disabled by your antivirussoftware to avoid double notifications. If your antivirussoftware is up and running , you can ignore this detection.

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify:

Company: Microsoft
Product: Windows Security Center
Threat: Changed Security Center Settings

Functionality
This entry only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" has disabled one or more notifications in the Windows security center.
If you’ve changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot to exclude those detections from further searches. In order to do this please right click on each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future searches". That way, should any other part of security center settings change Spybot will still detect those. For more information please visit our forum linked above.

"Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify" , if this is found, the Security Center does not notify about the firewall.
This could have been disabled by your personal firewall to avoid double messages. If your personal firewall is up and running, you can ignore this detection

LonnyRJones having them remove Mailskinner and Mywaysearch was unrelated to the Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify detection.
If you scroll down to post four,you'll see he suggested setting Spybot to ignore AntiVirusDisableNotify,and posted a link to the article above. hth. :)

These detections
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
I would set SpyBot to ignore them
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/46.html