PDA

View Full Version : Another problem with Teatimer popups?

Shirayasha
2006-12-25, 22:07
After the latest update, when I opened my browser (IE6), Teatimer popped up a warning about my home page changing to Microsoft.com. Even after telling it to remember my decision, it then continued to pop up one message box after another, telling me that it was denying a change based on my instructions. I couldn't even operate any controls on the browser because the computer was so busy with Teatimer.

I restarted the computer, and ran Spybot, Ad Aware, and AVG, all of which found no problems. I had to turn Teatimer off in order to get here and post this message, but now that I'm online, my homepage isn't changing. I guess it was a problem with Teatimer that caused it to report denying a change over and over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I describing it well enough? I'm uncomfortable leaving Teatimer turned off, so I'm hoping for other suggestions.

Zenobia
2006-12-25, 23:52
Sometimes that happens with Remembered Decisions.
Try turning Teatimer back on.If you just exited Teatimer,try going to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy and doubleclick Teatimer.exe.
If you disabled Teatimer,then go back to Tools->Resident and recheck Resident "Teatimer".
If you're still getting the pop-ups up the side of your screen and/or you want to remove your remembered decision,then rightclick teatimer,select Settings to open the Black & White list,you should see four headings at the top....Allowed processes,Blocked processes,Allowed registry changes,Blocked registry changes,look through each one until you find the remembered decision about msn.com(look in blocked registry changes first,it's probably in there.),click the black X to remove it,then click okay.
If that doesn't work out,please post back. :)

MalfaOmega
2007-01-18, 17:08
Sometimes that happens with Remembered Decisions.
Try turning Teatimer back on.If you just exited Teatimer,try going to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy and doubleclick Teatimer.exe.
If you disabled Teatimer,then go back to Tools->Resident and recheck Resident "Teatimer".
If you're still getting the pop-ups up the side of your screen and/or you want to remove your remembered decision,then rightclick teatimer,select Settings to open the Black & White list,you should see four headings at the top....Allowed processes,Blocked processes,Allowed registry changes,Blocked registry changes,look through each one until you find the remembered decision about msn.com(look in blocked registry changes first,it's probably in there.),click the black X to remove it,then click okay.
If that doesn't work out,please post back. :)

Hi, I have the same problem! I tried everything as above, but no way, especially when I try to operate on TeaTimer settings.

Getting into details, I'd like to cancel from its registry white list all references to the following key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

but when I do what you suggest they only look as deleted: when I restart TeaTimer I still get a popup about this entry and when I go back to the registry white list all the entries which were supposed to be cancelled are still there!

Any other clue? Thanks in advance for any help!

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-18, 20:15
MalfaOmega:

I personally can not reproduce the problem that you are having.

Is there a chance that you logged on to two users concurrently who are both running TeaTimer?

Zenobia
2007-01-18, 20:43
After you remove those things from the Black & White list,make sure you are clicking the OK button,rather than clicking the close button (red X on the upper right.)

MalfaOmega
2007-01-19, 09:56
MalfaOmega:

Is there a chance that you logged on to two users concurrently who are both running TeaTimer?

Of course not, unless you mean that TeaTimer, being launched at startup, runs under a different account (say LocalSystem) from the one I logon with.

MalfaOmega
2007-01-19, 10:04
After you remove those things from the Black & White list,make sure you are clicking the OK button,rather than clicking the close button (red X on the upper right.)

During those several years I have been working on Windows systems, my close button on the upper right has always being looking different than red... ;)

Anyway it is not the one I click, since I use the OK button as suggested.

Zenobia
2007-01-19, 10:07
Okay,I thought I would check,as someone was having a problem with that before.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8235

Zenobia
2007-01-19, 10:33
RegKeyWhite.sbe should be located at one of these locations:
Windows 95/98
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT/2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

I am unsure if this will make any bit of difference,since all references to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page can't be removed using teatimer's Settings.But,you could try deleting the RegKeyWhite.sbe file and see if that works,so long as you have no other whitelisted registry remembered decisions you would like to keep.I will tell you upfront that this is just a shot in the dark,though.

MalfaOmega
2007-01-19, 10:34
One question: where are TeaTimer settings stored? On a "per user" basis or under the "All Users" Application Data folder?

Thank you in advance for any answer and kind regards.

Zenobia
2007-01-19, 10:54
RegKeyWhite.sbe,RegKeyBlack.sbe,ProcWhite.sbe, and ProcBlack.sbe aren't stored on a per user basis.They are all only stored under the "All Users" Application Data folder.hth. :)

MalfaOmega
2007-01-19, 11:23
RegKeyWhite.sbe,RegKeyBlack.sbe,ProcWhite.sbe, and ProcBlack.sbe aren't stored on a per user basis.They are all only stored under the "All Users" Application Data folder.hth. :)

Ok, in this case I have found what the problem is and I have also fixed it: for some reason my "SpyBot - Search & Destroy" folder (under the "All Users" Application Data one) has not enough write permissions for the "Users" group, so TeaTimer could not update its settings. I added the necessary permissions and now the problem has disappeared :2thumb:

Worth a note in the FAQ, maybe? ;)

Thank you again and regards.

Zenobia
2007-01-19, 11:28
I'm glad you got it fixed. :) :bigthumb: