Thread: Spybot Update Progress Bar

Default Spybot Update Progress Bar

Hello,

I've tried searching these forums, can't find an answer, so here goes:

Whenever I run Spybot, I first click Search for Updates, and the downloads seem to go fine (most often from the 1st try).

My problem is that the "Update Progress" box never stops. Here's what happens.

As time goes on:

- Each update gets a green checkmark;

- The status bar looks like the job is done (all the green boxes get filled from left to right); &

- Spybot's folders contain the new files (correct size, date, etc.), both in Updates and Includes.

But the box entitled "Update Progress" never goes away, and those tiny manila folders continue floating along. I'm running it right now, here's what's going on:

The text says the usual: [The connection has been established. File(s) will be downloaded and installed now.] But it also says, at the bottom, "immunization files," which would suggest that their installation is still in progress, even though the new CLSID - both in .zip and .sbs - have made it to their locations.

In order to begin my scanning and get to the destroy part, in the past I've clicked cancel to make the progress bar go away, other times I've just ignored it, clicked on Search & Destroy, and proceeded. Is either way OK? Any ideas on this?

In the meantime, thanks for any answers out there,

Ms Database
    Pittsburgh

FYI: S&D 1.4; Dell Laptop; MS XP for Home, Sup 2; Only S&D running (not TeaTimer, no skins)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

msdatabase:

You are not the first to report:

Quote Originally Posted by msdatabase View Post
    ... that the "Update Progress" box never stops.
    I've had the "Update progress" bar continue after the last selected update was completed (green check mark) on a few of occasions. In fact I had it happen today.

In my case the problem does not happen on every update. In fact it does not happen far more often than it does. As rough estimate, I would say it happens maybe 10% or less of the time (I've never kept statistics).

When it happens, I just check "Search for updates" again and if I receive the "No newer updates available." dialog, than I just forget that it happened.

When it has happened in the past, I have checked the updates to make sure that:
    1. The update .zip files (folders) have been received properly (expected md5 hash value vs. the md5 hash value actually received).
    2. The all the updates contained in those files have been properly unzipped to the correct locations (Help, Includes, Languages, etc.).

I have personally not found a single case when the "Update progress" bar continue after the last selected update was green check marked were any of the updates that were checked were not complete properly.

I know that that this is not a real answer as to why the "Update progress" bar continues after the last update or a solution to this quirk in the update process. I am merely trying to relay my personal experience that this particular quirk in the update process does not appear to adversely affect the updates themselves (at least in my case).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.