Thread: CasaleMedia, Webtrends Live, Zedo....

Default CasaleMedia, Webtrends Live, Zedo....

Hey everyone!
    When I scan in Spybot, these cookies always show up:

CasaleMedia
    Webtrends Live
    Zedo
    Statcounter
    Fastclick
    Avenue A, Inc

I have heard of others having this problem with Firefox, which is what I am using presently. I know you can't disable them in it, so I was wondering if these are really that dangerous to have? If they aren't real threats and won't steal information (I do a lot of buying online and forum posting, so I don't want my info stolen), I'll just have them ignored. Is it wise to just leave them be?

I did try to block them manually on Firefox, but that won't seem to work.

Please let me know, and thanks in advance!

Hello,

Here is a thread in our forum that deals with the same problem:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3008

If you don't have any other cookies you want to save in Firefox,you could click the Remove All Cookies button. This would be easiest, but don't do it if you have any cookies you want to keep.

If you do have other cookies in Firefox you want to keep, could remove the cookies manually from within Firefox. To do so go to Tools->Options->click the Cookies tab, then click the View Cookies button.
    Looking off the Spybot report, scroll through the list to find the tracking cookie(s), then click on the tracking cookie with your mouse, and then click on the remove cookie(s) button.

Or you could try doing another scan with Spybot and see if it removes the tracking cookies this time (though it might not work, but you could try and see).

There's an article here, showing how to block third party cookies.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/37.html

It is also recommendable to use SpywareBlaster also, which has an option to Prevent ad/tracking cookies in firefox.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you for the help!
    I did the thing to block third party cookies in Firefox, but they still showed up.
    I manually deleted them, so I'll see if they stay away.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

DazzleSurprise:

It appears that some third-party cookies may not be blocked in Firefox by setting the options in the following article:

See the comments by Zenobia in last post of the following thread for a possible solution:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I was just wondering, are these particular cookies very dangerous? I mean, can you leave them on and they won't do any harm or stealing?

Thank you for the links. They are gone for now, but I worry they will come back.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Some cookies can contain personal information, such as a name or e-mail address, but only if you've given that information to the Web site. Cookies can't "steal" your name or e-mail address if you don't give it out.

Third party (tracking) cookies are not by far most insidious form of spyware out there and you shouldn't necessarily be paranoid about them. However, since third party (tracking) cookies record information in a single location for visits to multiple Web sites they are capable of tracking your surfing habits from site to site. In addition if you provide personally identifiable information to sites that use certain third party cookies, you may be inadvertently sharing that information among the other customers of the company storing those third party cookies.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I see. Thank you so much for the info! I just wanted to know if I should be really paranoid over them or not.