Thread: What Are The Facts Please

Default What Are The Facts Please

Hi all,
    I just went to a technician to sort out my computer problems.
    He said
    1 Ad-aware is for handling adware while Spy Bot is for handling Spyware and does not detect adware. That I should run Ad-aware to get rid of adware, the presence of which will slow my computer down (a problem I am having).

My understanding:
    has always been that both programs handle both spyware and adware, that I could choose either and I use Spybot.

He said:
    2 That my version of Spybot is the free one and as such only scans the C drive that only the paid for version scans other drives.

My understanding:
    There is only one version and it it free, while donations are welcome no payment is required for Spybot and that the only version is a full version.
    (I also figure that while spy and adware would almost always only be found on the C drive, Spybot would scan all drives.)
    Thanks a lot

My understanding:
    has always been that both programs handle both spyware and adware, that I could choose either and I use Spybot.
    Yes, both programs care about spyware and adware.

My understanding:
    There is only one version and it it free, while donations are welcome no payment is required for Spybot and that the only version is a full version.
    (I also figure that while spy and adware would almost always only be found on the C drive, Spybot would scan all drives.)
    Yes, there is only one version.

I would like to know where to get the alleged paid version.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default SSD ± AdAware

You can use both, sometimes one is more to your liking in how it accomplishes goals (speed of scans, ease of use and reliability of 'internal' update procedure, compatibility of new versions with older OS' to name a few).

'tech's may or may not help, depending on how busy they are, etc. - after all, they are not you.

I use AdAware for 'quick' scans (and yes, that Lavasoft animal does come in a 'paid' version as well as the free SE) + MRUD clears (seems to be 'simpler' than SSD's useage tracks in that regard but.. it's different, to be sure). Plus their internal updater still works like a charm for me.

SSD 1.4 seems to be working for me, but the scan generally takes longer and some of the features don't seem to work so well (for ME anyway) since I switched from v1.3..

Default Which Drives Does Ssd Scan

thanks a lot
    adn does spybot scan all drives or just the C and can I decide which?
    Thanx

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There are no settings within Spybot to scan specific drives. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:

In other words, Spybot scans the portion of the drive(s) required automatically.

There is a special scan for Spyware installers (files not installed yet) that can be limited to specific directories (actually it should be limited) which can be located on either internal or external drives. To activate this feature go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Directories and add directories. There is more on what this feature scans for here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.