I agree, as I've said on this thread at least a million times now.
Actually the important part was that so many returns need to have a reason in quality as well imho, not (only) about the people, but their reasons, and that you haven't said

That's interesting, I never thought it was free. I wonder why people think that.
How does it find out their credit card information?
That probably depends on how you get it. They use a bunch of methods beside the official site. Take a look at legal-at-spybot.info for example, a website by them using one of our email addresses as a name, and with the full look of our old website layout. And there are other sites out there... some people pay $19.95, some $39.95, some $59.85, all depends on where and how you get it.
I guess the "free scan" combined with the name SpywareBot in so many different colors besides their official site leads many to believe the credit card information would only be asked for for personal identification or whatever.
And where people knew they would have to pay something (though not what exactly for), there are also a bunch of emails about over-charging - some people agreed to pay $20 only to see $80 on the bill, etc..