Thread: Pop-up virus wont go away!!!

Angry Pop-up virus wont go away!!!

Ok, it look spybot says I have this:

TagASaurus: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

AdRevolver: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

Statcounter: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

AdRevolver: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Compaq_Administrator) (Cookie, fixed)

But they just have not gone away!!!

If I scan again it will say I still have them. I also have that WIN32 stuff (It says on discription it is the annoying pop-up maker)...

I seached in "My Documents" Win 32...and I have over 47 Win32 things!!! should I get rid of them???

Thanks everyone, I hope you answer...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mariocarzy:

All of the detections that you listed are Internet Explorer Tracking cookies and unfortunately that probably is not the cause of the problem the title of your thread (Pop-up virus wont go away!!!) implies.

The following are all tracking (third party) cookies:
    • AdRevolver
    • Avenue A, Inc.
    • DoubleClick
    • MediaPlex
    • Statcounter
    • TagASaurus

If you are running Internet Explorer the storing of those particular Tracking Cookies can be prevented by enabling Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO). To do that go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". Check the following:
    • "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

There is another way to prevent the downloading of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO). Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab > under Settings click Advanced > select "Override automatic cookie handling" > under "Third-party cookies" select "Block".

There also a way to prevent the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:

Since I do not believe that the tracking cookies that are being detected can be the cause of "Pop-up virus wont go away!!!", could you elaborate on the nature of the pop-ups that you are getting?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Lightbulb

Ok man, dont worry, its simple.

I have a pop-up blocker.

I mean, Im writing this message and it has one more blocked...and...I have got it...

The problem is:

TagAsaurus

It says it's on the windows directory...now I need to find it and kill it!!!

Ok, so it's is up to you to tell me what to do, if you dont mind...you have been a verry good help.

BTW, It says it fixed it, but I doubt that...

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Mariocarzy; 2007-01-04 at 03:22.

Hello,

To delete cookies please have a look at this link:

* To delete a cookie
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot