Thread: Freezes when Fixing

Default Freezes when Fixing

I can run the scan with no problem and I get a list of 6 files (see below) but when I hit "Fix Problems" the program freezes. I've tried unchecking all but one file but the same thing happens. Any suggestions?

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie
    Clickbank: Tracking cookie
    MediaPlex: Tracking cookie
    TagASaurus: Tracking cookie
    SpywareBOT: Tracking cookie
    Statcounter: Tracking cookie

When I printed this out, a list of about 40 other files printed underneath it with date, name of file, and version #. Not sure what these are.

Hello,

Which version of Spybot Search and Destroy do you run?
    Do you have installed the latest updates?

To see which version number and/or updates of Spybot - Search & Destroy you are using please run Spybot-S&D and choose "Help" --> "About" in the menu bar.
    There you can see which version you have and which updates are installed.
    It should be version 1.4 and the updates from the 2007/01/05.

Which browser do you use?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Freezes when fixing

Thanks so much for responding. I'm at my wits end. I recently uninstalled Spybot S&D and reinstalled the latest version with all the updates but the problem still exists. I went through all the preliminary steps suggested by this site and still no luck. My browser is Internet Explorer.

Hello,

Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Immunize" page. Checking the checkbox will enable the BrowserHelper, a drop down menu will appear giving you some options. You should select "Block all bad pages silently". With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you thank you thank you. I have been having the same problem. Man I am sure I had done immunizing sometime back, forgot about it, so it was overdue. I noticed though, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers are mentioned. I am wondering about Firefox? I do use Firefox mostly.
    redgypsee

Hello,

We are sorry, but the Immunization does not work for Firefox, it is only for the Internet Explorer. ActiveX isnīt supported by Firefox, so there is no need for protection there.
    Maybe in one of the coming versions there will be a bad download blocker for Firefox, but not at the moment.

Here is a thread in our forum that deals with the same problem:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3008

If you don't have any other cookies you want to save in Firefox,you could click the Remove All Cookies button. This would be easiest, but don't do it if you have any cookies you want to keep.

If you do have other cookies in Firefox you want to keep, could remove the cookies manually from within Firefox. To do so go to Tools->Options->click the Cookies tab, then click the View Cookies button.
    Looking off the Spybot report, scroll through the list to find the tracking cookie(s), then click on the tracking cookie with your mouse, and then click on the remove cookie(s) button.

Or you could try doing another scan with Spybot and see if it removes the tracking cookies this time (though it might not work, but you could try and see).

There's an article here, showing how to block third party cookies.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/37.html

It is also recommendable to use SpywareBlaster also, which has an option to Prevent ad/tracking cookies in firefox.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

The problem seems to be fixed. My computer was freezing when browsing too before. I thought it was a Firefox memory leak. Although I only had half of my 750RAM in use my CPU was running at 100% most of the time. Seems to be good today since I followed those instructions. Thanks again for your help.
    redgypsee

When I did immunize I think it helped somewhat, I should have mentioned. I downloaded Spywareblaster ... seems like a good program. Thanks for the recommendation!
    redgypsee

Phew! I just deleted all of my Windows temporary files and the problem is fixed. I recommend this step to anyone having problems. Thanks!