Thread: Teatimer Icon in Notify Area

Default Teatimer Icon in Notify Area

Hi,
    I think that I remember seeing the Resident Teatimer icon in the Notify Area of my home page (lower right). It is no longer there. I recently installed Grisoft firewall and AVG in place of Norton. Could this be the cause? Teatimer is running as reported by the Windows Task Manager. Is there a way to get the icon back?
    Thanks
    Frank C

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Just for clarification:

Are you talking about the TeaTimer (Spybot Resident) icon in the System Tray area of the Windows Task Bar?

If so have you attempted to click on the "Show hidden icons" button (see the attachment in the following):
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-01-16 at 22:42.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Teatimer Icon in Notify Area

The area is on the far right. I think it is sometimes called the Notification area.
    Anyway, I got the Icon back.
    I right clicked the area just to the right of the clock and selected Customize Notifications. I found Spybot Resident in the Past Items list of Customize Notifications. I chose Always Show in Select Behavior and clicked apply on Task Bar and Start Menu Properities screen. It is now in the Current Items list and back in the System Tray Area.
    Thanks
    Frank C

Esteemed Member

OK, though it has nothing to do with Spybot itself I've seen this Notification Area/System Tray thing one too many times, so I looked it up and found this on MSDN:

Why do some people call the taskbar the "tray"?

I thought they were renaming it the Notification Area myself, but apparently that happened before Windows 95 ever released. I do believe it was the Systray.exe that probably caused the primary confusion though.

Now you know 'The rest of the story'...

I guess the nomenclature confusion will continue at least through Windows Vista. From:

The notification area is on the taskbar and is sometimes called the system tray.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Esteemed Member

Yes, as long as the Notification Area exists this will probably persist, I just wondered where it came from and was heading officially. I found many similar references in my searches on Microsoft.com, but most were in forums, not official literature.

Also note that in the quote you gave from the Windows Vista 'Show or hide the notification area (system tray)' only the 'notification area' and 'taskbar' terms have a definition link, while 'system tray' is simply referenced as an alternative name. Right or wrong they've obviously had to react to the common use of this alternative name in public discussions.

Official Microsoft support articles titled like this don't help: