Thread: windowsecuritycentry registry chgs - HLP

Default windowsecuritycentry registry chgs - HLP

spybot idetified problesm for a host of Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.etc., etc. entries but does not offer any explanation under "more details". I am hesitant to allow a fix(even w/a restore point) to these entires without a more detailed explanation of how it might have come to be. Also running Adaware, McAfee Virus protection and I am in desperate pursuit of rescue from a looping CHKDSK in "the blue screen of death". which is what led me to do the spybot scan to begin with. Did not find any other references in any forums. Any help appreciated. thx!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If these are the two detections you are getting:

Code:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify
     Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
    Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
    Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
    • Firewall
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
    • Automatic Updates
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
    • Virus Protection
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

I believe that you will find that the first and third items are unchecked.

When you installed McAfee SecurityCenter, you probably chose it as the default Security Center. When you do that, McAfee SecurityCenter turns off these alerts in the Windows Security Center. If you reset the alerts, McAfee SecurityCenter will turn them off again when you re-boot the system as long as it is the default Security Center.

If you want to exclude these items from future detections:
    • Run another scan.
    • Expand the detection if necessary (+ to the left of the detection).
    • Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
    • Then right click on highlighted detection.
    • Select either of the following from the list of options in the menu.
      • Exclude this detection from further searches
      • Exclude this product from further searches

In other words left click to select then right click to display options. If you don't select (highlight) the item first the options menu is for the entire detection list.

Since the Windows Security Center detections have been separated into individual "Products" to facilitate exclusion, you can also go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > settings > Ignore products > in either the All products or Security.sbi tab and check the following Windows Security Center detections:
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify

Note: If you can't see the full name of the product, expand the Product column of the screen by placing the cursor in the column title bar between the Product and Detail columns until the column separator move symbol appears (cross with arrow heads pointing left and right), press and hold the left mouse button and drag the column separator to the right.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-01-17 at 18:28.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.