Thread: Another very long scan

Default Another very long scan

I am using a Windows XP Professional computer and Spybot v1.4 with the latest detection update as 1/12/07. When I used Spybot until recently, the scans with Spybot took under 30 minutes. Now, when I run a scan with Spybot, the scan is only about half done after three hours.
    I have three hard drives all of which are at least 50% empty and have at least 100GB of free space. I did a disk cleanup to remove Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Also I was running Spysweeper, but stopped it from running when I did the Spybot scan - still the same problem with the Spybot scan of taking a huge amount of time. I did a search in the forum and looked at some other threads dealing with slow scans, but could not find an answer as to what could be causing the slow scan in my computer
    What could be causing this problem and how do I correct it?
    Thanks.
    Richard

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is a pinned (sticky) thread on the subject:

Summary:
    • Changes to the Spybot’s advcheck.dll cause some anti-virus programs to thrash while Spybot is scanning.

Solution:
    • You can either inactivate your anti-virus active shield while doing a Spybot scan or download a beta test version of the advcheck.dll which appears to remedy the problem. For the beta test version of the program see this post:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Advcheck.dll - it worked

Thanks for the advice about tyring the beta file advcheck.dll. That worked like a charm. My scan time is back to normal. (You may be interested to know that I am using the latest version of F-Prot antivirus software.) During the Spybot scan, it took about 10 minutes for the green horizontal rectangles to reach the end of the horizontal bar. However, after that happened, it took about another 30-40 minutes for Spybot to scan my browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, Internet Explorer) and complete the Spybot scan. I do have a lot of bookmarks. Is it normal at the end of a Spybot scan for it to take Spybot that long to scan browsers?
    Thanks again.
    Richard

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doowopper View Post
    Is it normal at the end of a Spybot scan for it to take Spybot that long to scan browsers?
    The end of my scans always seem to take a while (maybe it's because the scan status is just sitting there and not continually changing).

I only have Internet Explorer. I just ran a scan to quantify the times. I had a total scan time of 10:59 of which 1:17 appeared to be checking Internet Explorer objects. I keep my Internet Explorer relatively clean by deleting internet cache and cookies. When I ran the scan I only had 26 permanent cookies and my internet cache had 566 objects and was less than 2,500,000 bytes. All but about 2 seconds of the 1:17 appeared to be checking my 748 bookmarks.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.