Thread: Can't restore maximized window

Question Can't restore maximized window

Spybot S&D Version 1.4, XP Pro SP2
    This is only a cosmetic problem but it is annoying to me and I've seen it happen on other machines as well.
    My S&D window runs either maximized or minimized but no in between. It's taking up the whole screen. When I click on the maximize/restore button up in the corner, the mouseover reads "maximize" or "restore". However, restore only changes that button. I can't grab any of the sides and resize the screen in either mode.
    Is there a fix for this?
    Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The only thing that I can suggest is to reset the Spybot window attributes back to their default values and the reset the window to the size that you want.

The Spybot window attributes are stored in the systems registry. Since I can not attach a .reg file in this forum, I have attached .zip file that contains a .reg file to reset the Spybot window attributes to their default values. The content of the .reg file is as follows:

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpybotSnD\Window]
    "Left"=dword:000000c0
    "Top"=dword:000000a4
    "Width"=dword:00000280
    "Height"=dword:000001b8
    "WindowState"=dword:00000000
    Instructions:
    • Exit Spybot-S&D.
    • Download the attached Spybot_Window default.zip file.
    • Unzip (extract) the Spybot_Window default.zip. This will produce a Spybot_Window default.reg file
    • Double click on Spybot_Window default.reg file.
    • Answer "Yes" then "OK" to the messages received.
    • Start Spybot-S&D.

I hope this helps.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks. That did the trick!

Question Not working for me...

I have a similar issue. When I run SnD, everything looks fine but then before the main UI comes up it minimized down and to the right. I have uninstalled / reinstalled as well as tried both of the solutions mentioned above (both the zip as well as manual updates), and neither work. And as previously mentioned in this thread, the only two non-close options for the tray item are to minimize (it does show up in the tray) or maximize (it dashes outside of my monitor down and to the right). If at least there was a "move" option I might be able to steer the app to where I can see it...
    Any help folks? This is a great product and I would really like to get it working on my lappie that I use for the most surfing.
    Thanks all, m

Could you rightclick the Spybot icon,then select Properties,then the shortcut tab?What does it say beside Run:?

The above .reg file may not have worked because it looks like the "Pepimk Software" part has changed in later versions,but just to confirm,you are using a version of Spybot later than 1.4?You have the latest version?

This .reg works now
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\UI\Forms\formMain]
    "Left"=dword:000000c0
    "Top"=dword:000000a4
    "Width"=dword:00000280
    "Height"=dword:000001b8
    "WindowState"=dword:00000000

Default Spybot system scan runs and shows complete but I cannot see results

As I run Spybot System Scan I get the icon that shows up in the task bar at bottom of Windows. It blinks green that complete and whn I try to maximize the window to se the results it looks like it opens up on a screen that would be to the right of my laptop screen (I cant see anything)

I have tried rebooting system and running SP again, no help.

Any Ideas.

I looked for zip file referenced above and did not see it (2005 may be too old for relevance here.

All help appreciated

I am on a Dell Lap top running Windows 8.1

Thanks

The window sizing is in a different area of the registry now if you have Spybot 2.6, so the zip file would no longer be applicable.
    I think I located the system scan window sizing at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\UI\Forms\FormSpybotScanner
    I think later windows versions remember window sizing now. To try to confirm that, I went to the FormSpybotScanner, exported the registry key, then deleted it, then opened the System Scan window, and it opened as normal. Then again, I might have the wrong window. (Please don't delete yours or anything, I'm just messing around trying to see if it's the right window.)

So, in light of that, it would be best if you exported the registry key just to be on the safest side before proceeding any further. Are you familiar with regedit?