Thread: Suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How about also enabling the 'erase with spybot search and destroy' to work with deleting folders.

And here's another one, When a scheduled scan is in operation, If you move the scanning box you can see the loading bar (same bar as when you start up the program). At the moment, it is hidden behind the scanning box, but is there a way to hide it?

and one more

In the recovery window, the picture of the 'first aid kit' has a red cross on it, while the icon in the side bar has a green cross. It would be better if the the 2 icons matched colour.

(now im being really picky!)

All noted
    Yes, that cross should be green as well (the red cross is a trademarked symbol and the red cross organization doesn't like it used anywere )!

Will think about a way of hiding the loading bar, not sure though if that could make its way into the next version, since I already made a possible RC build today

The erase option will surely improve a lot; not specifically for this, but for a bunch of other topics as well (we've got some broader new cleaning concept in planing).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I love the advanced features SpyBot includes, but there were a few things it seemed to lack.

When you scan for problems, it always checks specifically for individual bad programs, which makes not including an explorer extension of right-click scanning understandable, but the ability to specifically target a certain directory or file (possibly by right-clicking) would really be nice. I sometimes feed malware to anti-malware programs to see what has proper detections, and that's hard to do with SpyBot.

The second issue is that SpyBot doesn't give the option to hook Firefox like it does to Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is a commonly used program, so it is very targeted, and needs protection. However, now Firefox is becoming popular I understand exploits exist for it too, so there needs to be an option to hook Firefox just like with the Internet Explorer tweaks. As far as cookie managment, the current version of Firefox doesn't offer a whole lot of support for it, so some extra setting tweaks couldn't hurt. It has a checkbox to enable cookies or not (blocking them foils most logins), and you can carve out exceptions, but the option to quickly (and temporarily) allow a site to set a cookie, with the option to enable/disable alerts prompting if the user wants to allow a cookie - like TeaTimer does with registry changes - in both Internet Explorer and Firefox would be wonderful.

The third suggestion I have is something I'm unsure about. I can't find anyway to manually edit the host file settings in SpyBot. When you find something constantly phoning home to a certain address, the ability to null-route it with a simple right-click is priceless.

A forth neat right-click treat would be in the browser pages. Supposing a user doesn't want yahoo.com to load every time they mis-type an address, they should have the option to change it to something they do want, like google.com, with a right-click.

Number 5: The above suggestion of using the right-click to delete on a startup is not bad. It can be a real pain to try fixing a problem with SpyBot only to require yet another scan on the next startup, more so if it already knows what the problem is. Other competing products generally have this option, so users will probably be used to it.

Yet a sixth is, an additional option to run the program without the brief scan (mentioned somewhere above) under the advanced settings, and perhaps a parameter to specify one or the other to override the current setting and shortcuts for both in the startup menu. This would be really helpful for those with slow computers who are only (at that time) launching SpyBot for its utilities and do not likely have to worry about something intercepting the process at that time.

And finally, TeaTimer should hook the operating system to prevent its termination. Any malicious process could probably just terminate it when TeaTimer gives trouble (which it most likely will), so it needs to defend itself. Then, to be fair to the user (such as in a case when the user is installing a trusted program that makes many registry changes), there should be an option to disable TeaTimer temporarily.

Now, my picky suggestions involve the startup info page. Some additional right-click options would be nice, such as running (or at least specifically copying to the clip board this alone) the listed uninstall command, or in a case where none is present, an option giving options to find information, like putting relevant details (such as KB884016) into a search engine to minimize mistakes and safe work/effort from the lazy user.

I'm not giving any of these to criticize the program - I already consider it as a top-quality program - but I truly think they'd be nice, and I'd personally make much use out of them. As for the program rating, I give it a 95%, with a subtraction of 20% for the lack of a targeted scan, 10% deducted for its lack of support for Firefox (what we should probably be using), 10% extra credit for its good definitions, 20% for the advanced utilities, and a deduction of 5% for the disappointment I get in a few of the wonderful tools going so far and working so well, but then leaving me without an easy way of fixing something they present (all those right-click options). In short,
    100 - 20 - 10 + 30 - 5 = 95% A.

1. For targetting a special file, see Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 2: Separate File Scanner

2. For Firefox, there are already great generic protection plugins: NoScript and AdBlock, for example. It's somewhere on our todo list though to write a specific Firefox plugin as well I've added this issue to the bug tracking/feature request system though to allow votes and comments on the topic.

4. The browser page overview already allows you to change entries (see Change button in the toolbar). Do you want that button to be available in the context menu (right click) as well, or have I misunderstood your point?

6. For utilities, I would recommend RunAlyzer as a stand-alone tool. It's going to replace the integrated tools section in Spybot-S&D 2.0 RunAlyzer takes a lot of time to start up as well, that's true, because of it's integration check. Requests for specific combinations to be added to the startup selection are welcome.

7. The option to temporarily disable already exists, and the 2.0 TeaTimer is already concepted as a system service and with some other plans to make it more persistent

X. In RunAlyzer, you can already copy entries to the clipboard. I've added this feature request for direct browser links though.

Sorry that I skipped some entries, just used a short break in working on the new TeaTimer which I need to get back to now

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Default Separate Secure Shredder suggestion

Separate Secure Shredder suggestion:

Followup on a gripe by Sliztzan in the following thread:

Please consider adding a feature to the Spybot > Mode > Advance mode > Tools > Secure Shredder facility that would allow the addition or removal of the standalone context menu driven "Separate Secure Shredder" after the installation of Spybot.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Firefox & Flock support. . .

When working on firefox support, please simultaneously add support for flock.

It is based directly on firefox. It almost seems like a permanent plugin and skin since its still firefox underneath, but it has changed paths so plugins with hard coded path information, and Spybot, don't look in the right spot for various information. And immunization thus probably is not doing anything either.

I am assuming from the previous post that when you say firefox is supported, you don't directly control it as you do IE (I see the link in tea timer), and that when hooked it will be done as a plugin (per previous poster)? I am already running adblock plus with additional subscriptions. But I am getting some that they missed via your HOSTNAME blocks (I see the image not available tag from the browser).

Instead of hook, your current support is scanning the directory's and registry correct? which is better than nothing, but I don't know if I've been had since its not scanning flock's directories.

If you don't hook then what is the protection/immunization doing when it is protecting firefox?

Also until Tea-timer becomes a service, make it easier to restart it. I saw it was not running the other day and could not find how to run it. I looked in the start menu, programs folder, and inside spybot. I think it used to be on the immunization page.

Added two feature requests :
    Browser support for Flock (Spybot-S&D)
    Browser support for Flock (AlterEgo)