Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default temp cleaning popup

??? I don't have this in my registry

Tweaks\DisableTempFolderCleaning

can't the coders just make a setting for this in the final version to stop this annoying thing?

@Hoodye8: well, cleaning the temp folder is able to speed up the scan quite a lot depending on how large it is.
    If users would misinterpret this option and disable it, this would mean a lot more support work in finding out why some users scans take so long.

You wrote that you do not clean out your temp IE folder to save time, since you're on dial-up.
    That's fine. Because this function does not clean out the Temporary Internet Files folder (aka browser cache), but the regular temp folder used by applications during installation of software to temporary store extracted files, for example. So your browser cache would not be affected at all. But thinking that it was, you would give up the possible speed improvement, being a good example on why options often complicate things more than both sides expect

PS: and no, tweaks have to be created, the do not exist beforehand. I should add a help page about them somewhere, but then, they're inofficial tweaks only
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default clean temp files at start

Ah OK, well if it just cleans up the windows temp files than that's another deal, and i don't care about that folder. It may be an idea to have that box say that.

Yeah being on dialUp I only clean out those files once in a while, but I do clean my cookies more often.

I just don't like this vista OS having made so many folders inaccessible now, like the IE temp, history, and cookies.

So thanks for clearing up what files are deleted, I couldn't find that folder in my reg as it was anyway.

Default somptin else now

I got another deal goin here now, I'm not sure just what version of S&D put this tap in the system properties box.

I was checking my C drive properties, and found the properties box was taking a little longer to pop up than it did, or any other properties check was on any other drive.

when it did show, I seen this spy bot tap listed, so I clicked it to see what it was for.

Well hell this thing seemed to just start some sort of system scan, which never did finish, I left it on all last night to see just what it was for, and this morning was stuck, but it took forever just to get to that point.

first thing is it shouldn't just start right up doing this, it should have a box to ask you what you want to do and tell you what it WILL do.

So I'm thinking what ever this tab is for, its probably making my properties box taking longer to show up now.

can tis be removed some how? is it in settings? I don't need this in the system properties box info, I can do this from within the regular program when I wana check for malware or bots.

S&D 1.6 beta 2

It's a bit different from the regular scan, since it's usually targeted for single files only (can do folders and whole drives as well though).

But I agree, this part caused too much trouble. For the next release, I've recently finished the alternative that has been suggested a few times here: SDFiles.exe, which appears in the context menu when you right-click a file (not in the Properties window any more), giving you some more control on when to scan exactly, allows to drag'n'drop more files onto the window to scan, and runs on 64 bit systems as well.

To remove the old one right now, you would have to unregister the DLL. That's probably the command
    Code:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDfiles.dll"

Thanks for reminding me about the topic, I wrote a todo for myself to make sure this is automatically removed by the next installer

Default properties box

yeah OK, I'll just wait for the next release to re set this thing, I don't use it that much anyway and won't use that tab at all for now. I figure this 1.6 should be about ready for final anyway.

BTW you ever think about the GUI on this program? I mean yeah there are some skins available, but they also seem old like looking graphics wise. Any thought into making the graphics more clear looking, I mean more bright and the colors more vivid?

hi. i have some suggestions to spybot, i can see that i have 11 hostsfile backups in the hostsfile folder, maybe they can be removed by spybot so we dont have to do that manually because the folder is just growing and growing and some people maybe dont know the folder is growing, i mean it is just necessary to have just one backup.

the other one is that maybe the installation wizard can ask if you want to disable the dnsclient to avoid slow browsing speed, maybe someone dont understand why their browsing is a bit slower than before. and it have been great to have a hostsfile server to serve up images or empty images to make the browsing even faster, and to avoid to having to hit the backbutton in the browser several times to get back to where people was, but that happenes only sometimes and mostly when a ad or something is blocked on the site they are visiting, maybe you should link to hostsman wich has a hostsserver.

and maybe the logs should be not only in the advanced mode, but in the standard mode, to be easy for newbies to delete them when they are not needed anymore, to avoid the growing of the logs endlessly

Default mmhm

Agreed with Blues about the ever-growing logs and hostfile backups - maybe a section in Settings to 'Remove after' week, month, or quarterly would help housecleaning. Leave it in Advanced, though - it doesn't seem to affect performance and by the time a user actually takes a look at the log dir and hostfile backups, they're not so much a newbie anymore. Possibly another page or note in the .chm as to that.

Some other smallish niggles

a) If not too difficult to make in localizations, personally I'd like to see the 'pullout' info in plaintext if that could be done - somewhere along the way I've lost that ability to show RichEdit material http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27344 and I miss the info

b) Lighter text on the headers!
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9...6headernk1.png

c) Fix the 'persistence' of System Internals "Integrated search for registry inconsistencies" in the statusbar
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7259/ssdstatkd8.png
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7302/ssdstat2pv0.png

d) It may be just me, but the tiny 'favicons' are ghostly on Immunize and mostly so on Setting-main pages
    http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...onghostwy6.png

The black header text being less visible may also be 'just me' as that dark brown background is my Windows native for app background - skins aren't 1-size-fits-all, I've found

@HOODYE8: yes, we often think about the GUI. The immunization at least has become somewhat nicer with 1.5, and the overall concept is to split things, have more smaller, light (no full color schemes nor full skins like the huge AV UIs) windows instead of everything in one big, but bulky, place. You might also notice an attempt at an unobstrusive placement of our logo in these dialogs (again, not hitting with half the screen used for fancy things, but instead small but easy to recognize hints) in SDFiles.exe (RC 1).
    @blues:
    1. Good point on backups. We probably should combine all types of backups in 2.0, so that we could put a global "age" for them.

2. If it would be on the wizard, many 2000 users would disable it without knowing what it is about probably. What are the chances that users who actually need this service would blindly disable it, and suddenly have no connection? Rumors on that service are various. Are there any Microsoft recommendations that this file could be safely disabled?

3. See 1., it's probably best to get some combined data storage solution instead of implementing this in various different locations right now.

@ME_2&:

a) a bit late for the 1.6 release, since we've just closed the Release Candidate 1 :-/ But this needs an overhaul for 2.0 anyway, let me take a few thoughts on how it would look best if it doesn't have to be in this context, and maybe it could be brought back into a 1.x update sooner.

b) That's a matter of Windows color schemes; we do not use "static" colors here. In this case, it is the background color for app workspaces combined with the color for highlighted text. Sadly, this background color has no matching foreground/text color, so we combined it with the most likely other color.

c) Fixed, thanks
    Btw, after 1.6 is out, we plan to immediately move the system internals functionality into a separate file, like we already did with the shredder.

d) that's probably your gray background. The icons are anti-aliased PNGs, which has the advantage that they blend in much nicer in the other places, but the soft edges might make them more "ghostly" when shown on a background color similar to their fading out colors.

Meanwhile, I'm putting the last small touches to the installer of RC 1

i have always disabled the dns client when using hostsfiles without a problem, the only issue i found is if you try to repair the internet connection if you cant browse then you get a message that the dns cache or something like that cant be flushed, but i dont know what that means or if it is important to flush the dns cache. is it necessary to flush the dns cache?

this is from other sites: theeldergeek: As the description above states, it caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If disabled, it simply means the system will go upstream to resolve DNS names rather than use the cache.
    is this service needed? no. recommended setting: disabled.

Start this service if you receive a 'DNS Resolver Failed To Flush The Cache' message.

from microsoft: The overall performance of the client computer decreases and the network traffic for DNS queries increases if the DNS resolver cache is deactivated.

The DNS Client service optimizes the performance of DNS name resolution by storing previously resolved names in memory. if the DNS Client service is turned off, the computer can still resolve DNS names by using the network's DNS servers.

does this means our isps dns servers?

from blackviper: It is also needed if using IPSEC.

from hostsman forum: The DNS Client service is not necessary unless the system is used in a large corporate network that uses Active Directory

from mvps: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

When set to Manual you can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column.

The above instructions are intended for a single (home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to Laptop users who travel or bring their machines home. Make sure to reset the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your work Domain ...

IPCOP running a DHCP server needs the local PC DNS Client enabled to function