Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

I have been using Spybot for some time. Most recemend it hightly. I just found this V2 and gave it a try.

1. This is huge, 45MB vs 16MB for version 1.6
    2. The program UI is huge as well. Mind boggling at the least.
    3. It looked more like a V8 or at least a V5, not V2 with all the changes.
    4. I don't like processes running at startup. I see nowhere where you can stop the tray icon within the program from running. I had to us M$ Config to do so. While I understand the purpose of it running for real time monitoring, not having ability to stop it from loading is a issue AFAIC!

I hate to be negative, since this obviously took a hell of a lot of effort, but this is too much too soon. It needs to be a V2, not a V8.
    Last edited by videobruce; 2011-12-24 at 03:50.

Hi,
    I'm making a test onwin 7 x64bit and the version 2 found fraud.Sysguard on my system, version 1 did not find it. I like the new version.
    Version 2 works very well with my f-prot antivirus, instead version 1 had some problems of conflic .
    About the portable option, in the setting dialogue, I would like it to work also with this portable solution http://www.winpenpack.com, that is frequently used in Italy.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by rattlesalamander View Post
    I'm not sure that fragmenting the program in many frames is a good idea. Instead, I'm sure many end users like me would prefer a single-frame program, where everything's in control at the same time. Actually a more compact UI appearence may appeal more either expert users and newbies.
    I second that - I would prefer a slim scanner without a lot of background services!

Default Beta suggestion

Nice revision guys!
    One thought; It would be nice to be able to generate a descrete item White List, in addition to the whole system option I see. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning of a blanket white listing of the opsys as a whole moving forward.... My appologies if I'm missing something here guys.

Default registry and program-activity controll aswell as modern interface

im not sure if it (still) in sb2 but i would like a registry-activity controll which checks registry changes. I think tea timer did something simular but i miss it in spybot2. Another function i wish is a programm-activity controll which controll what programs do. Last but not least a modern interface like it have aviras antivir

Immunization and shell scan is too slow in shell scan it should only show progress bar.

Default clearification for my post

want to clearify my post (225)

-> live-protection must scan and contoll registry again
    -> firewall options should be implemented
    -> intelligent program-activity contoll (the current live-protection is taking too long and finds too less)

-> new modern and planin clear interface like used in Avira Antivir 12

1 - Rethink the way users approach utility programs lately. I believe people more and more look for COMPACT user interfaces and STANDALONE applications, even because the use of smaller screens/terminals is more and more widespread nowadays. Also, resources are never enough, expecially on net-laptops.
    Actually, we've split it into various modules to save resources, not to waste them. Spybot 1.x did load code and data for all functionality into memory. 2.0 will only load that which you need. Currently, the big download is a bit scary, but we're still in the progress of creating shared libraries, which means we'll reduce nearly all overhead of having multiple "applications".

2 - The less invasive software looks, the more people appeal it. That means absolutely NO unwanted background services running, single-frame resizeable UI, NO to unuseful animations. Even today, a perfect exemple to me is the ancient Tweak UI. Plain and trustful style then, pithiness and no-frills is just what users need
    Tweak UI is a good example here because it shows your level of expertise. You're not the average user, but know your system and probably you have much less problems finding your way around in new programs.

By the way, your arguments can also be used for the new version I think. Not just from the "low resources" standpoint, but also from the "compact" one - "one window, one purpose" is also a result of simplification and making stuff more compact.

But if you take a look at the new thread I started regarding the user interface, it'll show a few improvements on how we start to make stuff more compact within each window.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by 2old4her View Post
    Nice revision guys!
    One thought; It would be nice to be able to generate a descrete item White List, in addition to the whole system option I see. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning of a blanket white listing of the opsys as a whole moving forward.... My appologies if I'm missing something here guys.
    This touches a topic I just approached in the previous post. More options means less compact and more complicated user interfaces.

There is, by the way, a tweak available that would allow this. There's an undocumented registry entry that lets you add entries (including path entries) to the drive selection dialog shown by SDPrepPos.exe.

I've created a feature request in our internal tracker to add a selection option in the dialogs context menu, but I wouldn't give it high priority since there are probably few people dealing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by tpro View Post
    I second that - I would prefer a slim scanner without a lot of background services!
    Background services are important these days - for example because they have more privileges than standard applications.

They even become more important when it comes to Windows 8 and providing both a Metro and standard interface, and of course when it comes to the networked version. They make sure functionality is existing only in one place, without the resources needed multiple times (both on user and developer/tester side).

Still, they're not mandatory (at least from an internal perspective). SDFiles and SDUpdate for example would, if they could absolutely not use the service, run an internal "backup" of its functionality.