Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Thumbs up

would it be possible to implement a system tray icon for the updater?

Default ...

-an option to just right click a file and choose 'remove on boot', just permanently delete it, something like GiPo@FileUtilities 2.9 but preferrably GiPo@remove on boot.
    Spybot seems to not be great at scanning at startup and removing, what if i dont want it scanning at boot, i just want a file i chose deleted
    honestly i dont know., is there a better way, research maybe to how spybot can remove files, or clear them out of memmory to kill the processes and than delete them

-also check to see if a new version of your setup maker for spybot is out, if yes, see if the repair option/modify is supported now
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

I still don't understand

If it's about files Spybot-S&D detects, it already schedules them for removal during boot. And if it is about any file you want removed, the Erase using Spybot-S&D option in Windows Explorers context menu does the same.

And it already does a lot to "remove them from memory", including killing process handles, unloading file handles, closing library handles etc.. I guess it would be better if you would name something specific instead that is currently not removed through the standard methods

InnoSetup homepage - no update since October I'm afraid. Neither for the Repair/Modif addon (UnInsHs). The incompatibility is not exactly with the setup engine itself though, but with the ISX download addon, where helpinf updates are not very likely (we have to use an old version of the ISX download addon since newer versions have this problem of scrambled texts during the download on older Windows versions).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Another suggestion would be that when you select multiple items to be 'erased with spybot search and destroy' from the context menu, each item you want to delete, pops up with it's own individual warning.

When multiple items are selected, there should be one pop-up listing all the files set for deletion, instead of loads of pop-ups for each file.

Last edited by honda12; 2007-12-28 at 13:42.

I think the problem with individual warnings is that Windows calls SDDelFile.exe for every single selected file.

A better solution would be to integrate tighter into Explorer (like the file properties scanner - as a DLL loaded by explorer.exe), since that would allow us to see all selected files at once.
    But I'm not sure how it would act when you're killing a file that needs Explorer to shut down to be removed - it might lead to it stopping itself from removing the files

Maybe a combination...

How about also enabling the 'erase with spybot search and destroy' to work with deleting folders.

And here's another one, When a scheduled scan is in operation, If you move the scanning box you can see the loading bar (same bar as when you start up the program). At the moment, it is hidden behind the scanning box, but is there a way to hide it?

and one more

In the recovery window, the picture of the 'first aid kit' has a red cross on it, while the icon in the side bar has a green cross. It would be better if the the 2 icons matched colour.

(now im being really picky!)

All noted
    Yes, that cross should be green as well (the red cross is a trademarked symbol and the red cross organization doesn't like it used anywere )!

Will think about a way of hiding the loading bar, not sure though if that could make its way into the next version, since I already made a possible RC build today

The erase option will surely improve a lot; not specifically for this, but for a bunch of other topics as well (we've got some broader new cleaning concept in planing).

I love the advanced features SpyBot includes, but there were a few things it seemed to lack.

When you scan for problems, it always checks specifically for individual bad programs, which makes not including an explorer extension of right-click scanning understandable, but the ability to specifically target a certain directory or file (possibly by right-clicking) would really be nice. I sometimes feed malware to anti-malware programs to see what has proper detections, and that's hard to do with SpyBot.

The second issue is that SpyBot doesn't give the option to hook Firefox like it does to Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is a commonly used program, so it is very targeted, and needs protection. However, now Firefox is becoming popular I understand exploits exist for it too, so there needs to be an option to hook Firefox just like with the Internet Explorer tweaks. As far as cookie managment, the current version of Firefox doesn't offer a whole lot of support for it, so some extra setting tweaks couldn't hurt. It has a checkbox to enable cookies or not (blocking them foils most logins), and you can carve out exceptions, but the option to quickly (and temporarily) allow a site to set a cookie, with the option to enable/disable alerts prompting if the user wants to allow a cookie - like TeaTimer does with registry changes - in both Internet Explorer and Firefox would be wonderful.

The third suggestion I have is something I'm unsure about. I can't find anyway to manually edit the host file settings in SpyBot. When you find something constantly phoning home to a certain address, the ability to null-route it with a simple right-click is priceless.

A forth neat right-click treat would be in the browser pages. Supposing a user doesn't want yahoo.com to load every time they mis-type an address, they should have the option to change it to something they do want, like google.com, with a right-click.

Number 5: The above suggestion of using the right-click to delete on a startup is not bad. It can be a real pain to try fixing a problem with SpyBot only to require yet another scan on the next startup, more so if it already knows what the problem is. Other competing products generally have this option, so users will probably be used to it.

Yet a sixth is, an additional option to run the program without the brief scan (mentioned somewhere above) under the advanced settings, and perhaps a parameter to specify one or the other to override the current setting and shortcuts for both in the startup menu. This would be really helpful for those with slow computers who are only (at that time) launching SpyBot for its utilities and do not likely have to worry about something intercepting the process at that time.

And finally, TeaTimer should hook the operating system to prevent its termination. Any malicious process could probably just terminate it when TeaTimer gives trouble (which it most likely will), so it needs to defend itself. Then, to be fair to the user (such as in a case when the user is installing a trusted program that makes many registry changes), there should be an option to disable TeaTimer temporarily.

Now, my picky suggestions involve the startup info page. Some additional right-click options would be nice, such as running (or at least specifically copying to the clip board this alone) the listed uninstall command, or in a case where none is present, an option giving options to find information, like putting relevant details (such as KB884016) into a search engine to minimize mistakes and safe work/effort from the lazy user.

I'm not giving any of these to criticize the program - I already consider it as a top-quality program - but I truly think they'd be nice, and I'd personally make much use out of them. As for the program rating, I give it a 95%, with a subtraction of 20% for the lack of a targeted scan, 10% deducted for its lack of support for Firefox (what we should probably be using), 10% extra credit for its good definitions, 20% for the advanced utilities, and a deduction of 5% for the disappointment I get in a few of the wonderful tools going so far and working so well, but then leaving me without an easy way of fixing something they present (all those right-click options). In short,
    100 - 20 - 10 + 30 - 5 = 95% A.