Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot will not complete a scan ?

Question Spybot will not complete a scan ?

Hi,

Everytime I try to run spybot it 'stops responding' at various stages of its scan - most i get too is 1600 ish.

Any one help?

Mick

Xp pro SP2
    Diskeeper9 (tried this disabled)
    ZoneAlarm (ditto)
    AVG

IT could very well be something interfearing with spybots functions.

I would start by disabling as much as possible, doing a fresh boot with the least amount of stuff running in back ground.

Would than run spybot, using the option in settings, to run at higher Priority, just so SB is more dominant then everything else running.

If you have an older/slower system, this could make things take longer, so maybe just allow it to run for some time. Walk away.

What are the system specs (cpu speed, amount of ram, OS) and how long has it run till you stopped it?

System is;

P4 3GHZ Prescott HTT
    2GB 3200 DDR
    ASUS P4S800 MoBo

I've left it runnig for several minutes but nothing happens after the 'not responding' message - should I just leave it longer? I notice some guys are experiencing really slow scans !

Thanks

Esteemed Member

Default Spybot S&D and Hyperthreading (HTT)

Spybot S&D 1.3 was known to do this on HTT systems. If you have 1.3, get 1.4 by clicking the Download link on the menu bar at the top of this page. There is also a Tutorial link under Support on the left hand side of that same page that explains Installation and First run.

If you already have Spybot S&D 1.4 or it doesn't fix the problem, this is a rare situation that hasn't been explained yet. You can do the following to get a scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

Here is how:
    • Open Spybot, then leave it alone
    • Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    • Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
    • On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    • Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

Wow thanks m8 !

Would never have thought of that !!

Trying it now,

Mick

Thanks Bitman - worked a treat !

Hopefully they'll come up with a work round for this with a later release.

Cheers,

Mick:D

Looks like you got enough horspower there.

I too have a P4 at 3000mhz (3185mhz). My HT has never caused me an issue. Wonder why this is. But it appears to be the issue for you.

Glad you got it to work

STRANGE!

And i have 1.4 ??

Mick

Default I also have SB S&D 1.4

I have a P4 3000 mhz Prescott w/HT running 800 FSB on a Asus P4P800-VM MoBo.

FYI -I also experienced hanging that this work around seems to correct.

Default These steps do not help in solving the problem

Quote Originally Posted by bitman
    Spybot S&D 1.3 was known to do this on HTT systems. If you have 1.3, get 1.4 by clicking the Download link on the menu bar at the top of this page. There is also a Tutorial link under Support on the left hand side of that same page that explains Installation and First run.

If you already have Spybot S&D 1.4 or it doesn't fix the problem, this is a rare situation that hasn't been explained yet. You can do the following to get a scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

Here is how:
    • Open Spybot, then leave it alone
    • Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    • Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
    • On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    • Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

Hi everyone,

Everytime I run spybot I always update and immunize but recenty I have not been able to complete an entire Problem search. When I Check for problems the checking begins and it stops on # 643 of 31110. This is exactly what i see on the bottom left of the spybot software window "Running bot-check (643/31110: Centra24)"
    I tried the steps metioned on the quoted text above but it didn't help. I have a P4