Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot will not complete a scan ?

Esteemed Member

The fix I posted above only works for a PC with HyperThreading (HTT) which first became available on P4 3.0GHz (3000MHz) and faster processors. It isn't the only reason for freezes or hangs during scan, and usually occurs at random (not the same) place during each scan. It also dosn't happen to all HTT PCs, since most such issues were fixed during the Beta phase of Spybot S&D 1.4.

I had requested that a few still having these issues with an HTT PC try a slightly different test which makes the Set Affinity permanent. However, no one ever responded, so I've never been able to confirm it works. If either of you having the issue would be willing to try it, I'll go look up the information again. It requires changing a small portion of the Spybot executable itself using a command line utility, but it's really quite easy as I tested it myself to be certain it caused no problems and changed nothing else.

orta02: Your issue sounds different since your scan always occurs at the same place. There are several other reasons this can occur so you need to start a separate thread to trouble-shoot your issue. I assume you've tried leaving the scan for at least a few minutes, if not try that first, then post in the new tread including your information above.

Bitman,

Thanks m8 - I would very much appreciate a work round for setting the 'affinity' each time I run SpyBot.

If you can post it i'd be most grateful,

Mick
    UK

Esteemed Member

Default Permanent Affinity setting for Spybot S&D hang on HTT

pomak249: This tool and setting is only useful to attempt fixing the Spybot S&D hang a few have had. It locks SS&D to CPU0, the first processor, which isn't preferred under normal circumstances. However, it really shouldn't create any problems since typically Spybot S&D uses more of the processing power during a scan then anything else anyway. This is the same thing Set Affinity did, but is permanent for the modified SpybotSD.exe you'll create.

The tool you'll use is called ImageCFG.exe and was originally included on the Windows NT CD, but works with all OS versions based on NT that have come since. I found a link to this tool which I used to test the basic process a few months ago, but was unable to truly test the fix since I don't have HTT myself. There is also a good simple tutorial for the tool, though I'll give you the exact command needed further below.

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

First, download the ImageCFG.exe file and place a copy in the Spybot program folder listed next so it's easy to use from a command prompt.

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search and Destroy\

Next, open a command prompt (Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and change directory to the same folder.

CD "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search and Destroy\"

Now create a backup copy of the SpybotSD.exe file so you won't need to reinstall SS&D if there's a problem.

Copy SpybotSD.exe SpybotSD.org

Finally, execute the following command to modify the Spybot executable to use CPU0.

imagecfg -a 0x1 SpybotSD.exe

At this point the file should be modified and you can run Spybot S&D just as you normally would. Try running a scan without changing the Affinity setting by hand. Whether it works or not, I'd be curious if the Affinity setting is visibly changed in the process view you've already used before, so let us know this and if it works or not.

Thanks for giving it a try.
    Bitman

< EDIT > Fixed missing quotes in CD to Spybot folder.
    Last edited by bitman; 2006-04-29 at 08:35.

Bitman,

None of the command prompts work ??

Keep getting (for both C:\Program Files\SpybotSD - Search & Destroy\ and imagecfg.exe) the following message;

'imagecfg' (or 'Destroy') is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Tried renaming 'imagecfg' to SpybotSD.exe still no joy - are you sure your instructions are correct ??

BTW, It is 'Search & Destroy' and not 'Search and Destroy' - tried both any how.

My Spybot is in the default location.

Mick
    UK

Esteemed Member

That's what I get for not doing the commands again myself. The problem was you weren't actually in the Spybot folder, so the commands couldn't work.

ImageCFG.exe should NOT be renamed to SpybotSD.exe, so change this back if you haven't already. You're using ImageCFG to change SpybotSD.exe, not turning one into the other.

The instruction that caused the problem was the Change Directory, it should have been:

CD "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\"

The rest of the instructions should then work if both ImageCFG.exe and SpybotSD.exe are in the folder and properly named. Again, they are:

Now create a backup copy of the SpybotSD.exe file so you won't need to reinstall SS&D if there's a problem.

Copy SpybotSD.exe SpybotSD.org
    Finally, execute the following command to modify the Spybot executable to use CPU0.

imagecfg -a 0x1 SpybotSD.exe

Thumbs up

Bitman,

All done - works a treat!

Spybot completes a full scan with no need to preset affinity.

Thanks m8, much obliged,

Mick
    UK

I am having the exact same problem as the original poster of this thread, but the suggestions to fix it don't work for me. Does anyone have an idea?

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by KMunzta
    I am having the exact same problem as the original poster of this thread, but the suggestions to fix it don't work for me. Does anyone have an idea?
    You're having similar symptoms, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same problem.

Does your PC have at least a 3.0GHz P4 processor with HyperThreading (HTT) and is the Operating System Windows XP?

If so, right click on the Task Bar and select 'Task Manager...', then click the 'Performance' Tab. Are there one or two CPU Usage History graphs displayed?

Which version of Spybot S&D are you running and how recent are the updates? Click Help, About in Spybot to view this information.

I do have windows Xp wih sp2 pentium 4. Im not exactly sure what HTT is. But i do have a CPU usage and the CPU usage history. I am running spybot 1.4 and everything is currently up to date.

Esteemed Member

You're very good at not answering the questions which are asked completely, but from your answers in this and your other thread I'm going to assume you don't have a HyperThreading processor. This means that the information in this thread is useless to you and you have a completely different issue.

Generally the type of problem you're having only occurs with Spybot S&D 1.4 if there is some sort of problem in the operating system, either registry or files. Unfortunately, there are a number of different possible causes, including the possibility that malware (virus, spyware, etc.) either currently exists on the system or did some damage in the past.

My earlier comment about answering questions was not intended to be mean, but to make a point. Trouble-shooting computer problems requires accuracy and completeness, to the level of what many consider being anal. Whether you normally think this way or not, you must attempt to at least answer any questions completely and accurately so those helping can understand what you're seeing and make the best judgement of what to do next. If you don't, at best it will take many more steps, at worst you can end up with a totally crippled PC requiring a complete Windows reload. I'm not trying to scare you, but this is a case where skipping steps and not doing everything exactly as asked can hurt you.

At this point I have only one question; When the Spybot program started freezing, had you experienced anything that might indicate you have malware, such as random pop-ups, sluggishness of web pages or the PC in general, or anything else that seemed out of the ordinary?

If so, please describe the symptoms as best you can, including how long ago it started, and if you've tried to fix it using programs other then Spybot S&D.