Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot will not complete a scan ?

Prior to spybot freezing i have had no problems with random popups or any ads. Also I did not see any difference in the performance of my computer. I did notice sluggishness of web pages and after spybot began freezing about two weeks ago, my computer did start to slow down and it still does. I also run adaware se and yahoo anti-spy that comes with my internet software. Also i have NortonSystem works 2003, i did a full pc scan and it did not detect any virus (yes everything was up to date) I went through the one button checkup and at the windows registry scan it found some errors, and it automatically fixed them. I scanned again right after doing so and it said 0 errors found. They were invalid activex/com entries. I also did the usual, erased all cookies, internet files and history. I ran speed disk, defragment, disk doctor and quick clean (all with the norton) We went away for a few days unexpectedly and forgot all about shutting down the comp. before we hurried to the train and when we got back norton had said it detected a virus trojan.vundo This was about a month ago. My brothers wife's stepdad is a computer wiz and had taken the computer for a week or so and fixed everything for us. He got us the norton systemworks before that we had the anti virus and firewall. When we got the pc back everything worked as good as new
    Last edited by KMunzta; 2005-12-04 at 19:23.

I just tried the mcafee online scan and it froze
    Last edited by KMunzta; 2005-12-04 at 19:40.

Esteemed Member

Whew! Thanks for the very complete history, especially mentioning all the various programs that have been and are involved. This makes it clear that you either had a malware infection or an interaction between programs at the tme of your trip (trojan.vundo), but we don't know everything that your relative (brother's wife's stepdad), did to at least partialy resolve it.

At this point and with this much history I think it's best that we have someone look at the PC in the Malware forum. If there's malware, they should be able to find it and if not, they may recognize an interaction between programs that's contributing to the slowness and freezing you've seen. I have suspicions, but would need the same information they will, so I'll watch from the sidelines and add comments if I see anything.

What's needed is for you to start your own Thread in the Malware forum. Title it something that you think describes it (Anti-Malware Programs Freezing, Maybe Malware?) and copy and paste your above two post(s) as part of the info describing the problems.

Malware Removal Forum
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    You'll also need to follow the forum instructions found here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Start by mentioning that both the McAfee Online scan and Spybot S&D scans are freezing and try at least one of the others listed if you've got time. Make sure you Post a HiJackThis log following the instructions in the post exactly.

Thank you, the log is posted.

It works like a charm bitman.

When checking the programs affinity it has indeed changed to cpu 0 only.

Thanks for this great workaround.

Question Spybot 1.4 hangs during scan

I have a p4 3G and it hangs while doing the scan of spybot at different quantity items scanned. Even if i do a fresh install of Winxp with only the drivers install. I wonder if it can keep a thread after a complete format and re-install. It works fine for every other programs but i think that spybot is a must. So , If somebody knows?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

fiston:

Does a p4 3G have hyperthreading? If so, try set Affinity to one CPU as posted by bitman earlier in this thread. See the following post:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...90&postcount=4

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default OK up to file #643/Central24

Hi...........I just ran across this forum after I tried to get email support for a problem. I tried sending to this address but it keeps coming back undeliverable! mailto:bugreport@spybot.info.......There is definitely a problem somewhere. My pc is a p4 with 3.0 GHz and runs the program (older 1.3) with no problem and no tweaking in the Task Manager. FYI.....here is a copy of my email that I am having trouble sending....................Don

Good-day.....Quick question......I just installed S&D 1.4 on my new HP
    Pavilion dv 4000 Laptop a few days ago(I've had it on my PC for ages) and
    my scans take about 2+ hours. It scans some files then just hangs, scans
    some more then hangs some more. I've properly removed and reinstalled the
    the program many times but it still runs forever. All my other anti-virus
    programs run at normal speeds. I'm running "default" scan. I tried
    different advanced settings but it still runs slow.It seems to suck the
    life out of the CPU Performance to using 100% most times with no other
    programs running. I am running a Linskeys Wireless router but it is turned
    OFF when scanning.It's a 1.6 Processor with 512mg ram and 60GB HD. I've
    heard of some people on "web forums" with the same problem when they
    installed the newer 1.4 version. I even tried my old 1.3 and it does the
    same. Any ideas....It all starts to hang at file #643/
    Central24..........................Thanks in advance....Don (Canada)

> --6DE3E85BBEDC86F361492A1DF1727702

Default Steps suggested dont work

I tried following the suggestions posted above but they dont work. Spybot crashes in my case at step 6689 and it takes a long tome getting there. Then the whole sistem goes crazy and I sometimes had to turn off power. I have a pIV 3.0 1ghz ram on a laptop sp 2 and all updates, It started more or less when I installed Panda titanium antivirus 2006, but I am not sure there is a connection. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Mário Rodrigues; 2006-01-02 at 05:28.

Esteemed Member

I doubt either of you have HyperThreading (HTT) so the solution here has nothing to do with your problems. HTT first became available with recent P4 3.0+GHz processors, but it's an option and I don't believe it's common on laptops. If it wasn't advertised as HTT capable, it's highly unlikely.

We've seen a few different issues with hanging and you each seem to have a different one.

Mário Rodrigues: Your's sounds like it's hanging in the CoolWWWSearch detections, which appears to be related to conflicts with other Anti-malware applications with active (real-time) protection. Try turning off that real-time protection if you can and see what happens. By your description it sounds like the Panda titanium antivirus 2006 is your problem as you had guessed.

ddfed: I've seen several with your issue too, though I've yet to see a solution for it. You could try scanning while in Safe Mode (press the F8 key at boot just before windows starts to load) to see if that works. In your case it sounds like it keeps moving forward, so have you ever just let it run overnight to see if it completes and how long that takes?