Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Using XP-SP2, IE7, Outlook 2003 and the HTML format, there is a significant typing delay creating new e-mail messages, both using stationary and not. Using text or rich text, there is no lag. Also, IE7 in general seemed slower.

I have eliminated anti-spyware and ant-virus as a cause. Office Detect and Repair did not fix anything.

Resetting IE7 fixes the problem.
    Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced>Restore>Reset.

Caution: this resets the IE7 add-ins also, which must be investigated and re-enabled as necessary.
    Open IE7>Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable add-ons.

I have traced the issue down to SpyBot Immunization and Spyware Blaster Enabling Protection for Restricted Sites. Either one causes the problem. This is repeatable. The problem started around 1/20/07.

In addition, I have found that Sun Microsystems BHO (ssv.dll) slows IE7.

Disable SSV Helper class - (It's from Sun Microsystems) It's a BHO - ssv.dll

Close browser and then re-open.

Cheers

I am surprised this message received no attention. I just stumbled into it doing Google searches trying to fix my wrecked Outlook HTML email. I immunized with Spybot yesterday. That's when my problem started. I just undid the immunization and now Outlook HTML works good again.

There is a serious problem here that needs to be fixed. I feel much safer with immunization running. But not at the expense of wrecking my email.

Can this be fixed and is any attention being afforded to such a fix?

Some users e-mailed us that they have experienced compatibility problems with the Internet Explorer 7 and Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    In detail, there were problems with freezing/not responding of our software and also problems with the SDhelper of Spybot - Search & Destroy that won't work correctly.
    Currently, we are working on this issue and try to find out what the problem might be.
    We hope that we will solve this problem very soon.
    There will be a new SDHelper.
    Please be patient.

Further, you will find more infos and other users' experiences regarding this point in our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...8286#post48286
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8492
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

I had no problem with IE7 so long as I had the browser helper disabled. But that did not prevent problems with Outlook 2003. Typing was delayed. Sometimes I would type 5 or 6 letters and nothing would appear on the monitor. Then suddenly all the letters would appear at once. Repeating was would not work. If I held any letter key down it would not repeat. One letter only would appear until I removed my finger from the key - then multiple images of the letter would appear. I can turn this behavior on/off by disabling/reenabling the immunization feature of Spybot.

I believe this behavior was brought to Spybot's attention with the release of IE7 almost six months ago. How patient do you expect user's to be?

I have the same problem as well as logging out of hotmail. This freezes and eventually times out. A fix or resolution would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if it's something to do with the phishing filter?

Quote Originally Posted by haapy View Post
    Using XP-SP2, IE7, Outlook 2003 and the HTML format, there is a significant typing delay creating new e-mail messages, both using stationary and not. Using text or rich text, there is no lag.

<snip>

I have traced the issue down to SpyBot Immunization and Spyware Blaster Enabling Protection for Restricted Sites. Either one causes the problem. This is repeatable. The problem started around 1/20/07.
    I had the identical problem. Thank you for your post, as it helped me find this fix: In Outlook go to Tools/Options/Security/Security Zones, change from "Restricted Sites" to "Internet".

I suppose this means Outlook will possibly download from blocked sites should I happen to come across one in e-mail. I will have to live with this risk, which I suspect will be small considering I have multiple spam filters and other protections in place.

MS Outlook help says:
    Zone list box— Specify the zone you want to apply to HTML messages. Zones can warn you of potential dangers or can prevent scripts and other processes from running when you open HTML messages. To change the settings associated with each zone, click Zone Settings.
    Last edited by RutDog; 2007-04-22 at 09:17.

Exclamation I Know What's Causing This!

Hey Everyone!

Looks like we are the only people on the earth who know about this problem, and that's a shame because it really stinks! Anyway, after reading through the posts I was definitely able to apply the work-around fix of unimmunizing my system, but that to me was unacceptable, so I have been pounding away at this in my spare time.

Okay, I still do not know how to permanently apply a fix for this, but I DEFINITELY know why your typing/e-mail create/e-mail open is so slow. Of course, the amount of slowdown will vary per-machine, but that is irrelevant.

I decided to run a process viewer on my machine, and I was amazed to discover that with Immunization enabled, Outlook was literally scanning each and every single blocked domain that Spybot had added to the Security Zones every time I opened an e-mail or even typed a letter. Yes, each time I pressed "A" on my keyboard, my CPU was running through all 13,000+ entries in the registry's Zonemaps. In fact, anything that had to do with HTML text editing was causing this. Opening a HTML-formatted e-mail, typing HTML-formatted text, or even highlighting said text would all result in my CPU having to run a marathon. The more you type, the more gets added to the CPU's work queue, and you can see where the progressive slowdown comes from. With Immunization turned off (i.e. all bad domains removed from the Zonemaps section of my registry), not only does Outlook work flawlessly, but what's most peculiar is that unlike before it doesn't even try to scan the Zonemaps.

So, long story short:
    Immunization turned on = CPU makes 13,000+ queries to your registry.
    Immunization turned off = CPU takes a breather and doesn't even check.

You get the point...

It would make a lot more sense if during the latter, the CPU did check the registry, but because the list was either non-existent or short, everything moved smoother. However, since it is not like this, I would have to assume that there is either some setting in Outlook that can be changed, or that Spybot (or the kind folks that code and operate it) could hold the secret.

Is there a secret setting or registry entry?
    Is there a particular Zonemap that should be changed?
    Is there some control somewhere else in Windows that can be modified?

These are the questions that I pose to the readers and to the forum masters. One thing is for certain, this is a very real and very annoying problem!

========================================================

BTW: Since this problem seems isolated to this message board, perhaps we can start by trying to find some similarities between our software/hardware setups. Obviously, I know for a fact that the main issue here is with the addition of IE7, but because it is so closely integrated with Outlook (when viewing messages in HTML mode), I figured it wouldn't hurt to also see if we could spot some additional similarities to help narrow down the cause of the problem.

My Specs:

-Hardware-
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2GB RAM
    2x 250 GB HDs
    ATI Radeon x3100 w/512MB DRAM

-Software-
    Windows XP Media Center Edition (AKA: Win XP Pro SP2)
    Microsoft Office 2003 (Includes Outlook)
    Norton's AntiVirus 2006 w/Office Scanning Turned On
    Internet Explorer 7 (Primary Browser)
    Firefox 2.0
    Netscape Browser 8.0

========================================================

Good hunting, folks! Let's win one for the Gipper...

-Ronald Reagan

Default This helped me

I too was having very slow typing echo from my Outlook 2003. This was only when in HTML format, no problem with raw text. After reading your comments I fully removed both SpyBot and Spyware Blaster. Now it seems much better, only minor spirts of backed up letters. It seems like my IE is also running better. Was getting long "waiting for ..." in bottom box (normal shows "done").

Still need to test more but 1st impression is good.

OK, my Outlook seems to be working OK. IE7 is still very slow.