Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Some More Information.

Hello Again Everyone!

After doing some more investigation into the matter of the typing delay caused by Spybot immunizations, I have discovered that there is yet another work-around solution. This work-around will enable any user to have both immunizations installed, as well as a speedy and functional HTML-based Outlook.

The Steps:
    Start Outlook
    In the Menu Bar go to Tools/Options
    Click the "Security" tab
    Under the "Security Zones" section click on the pull-down menu
    Change the default (should be "Restricted sites") to "Internet Sites"
    Change this value back to the default ("Restricted sites")
    Click OK

Voila, Outlook should work correctly again until its next reboot. Of course, you will have to repeat these steps each time that you start the program, but until there is a more permanent fix in place it will have to do.

Clearly, the issue here is with Security Zones, as with my previous post I outlined how with immunizations installed Outlook is querying the registry for every single entry in the Zone Maps. Now, whether this is a bug in Outlook's behavior or perhaps a technical snafu on behalf of the immunization database is still unknown, but it is evident that the problem resides here. Of course, this behavior is perplexing, because as some of you may have noticed that on its own, Outlook will sometimes (although rarely) not suffer from the slowdown.

Through my efforts, I am still trying to pinpoint the exact registry entry that may be causing Outlook to misbehave with regards to the Security Zones, but as it stands it is definitely a combination of Outlook 2003, Spybot Immunizations, and IE7.

Hopefully, Team Spybot will be able to shed some light on this subject, as this is practically the only message board on the entire internet that has so accurately and effectively narrowed down the cause of this problem.

The hunt continues, so good luck!

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-05 at 11:20.

Default SLOW typing

Sad to say, I've joined this group.

I ran Windows Updates yesterday on two machines, and BANG, when I type in an Outlook email (HTML format), it takes forever to show my characters.

I read all of these posts, and see that I can go into Tools/Options/Security... change ANYTHING... change it back, and click 'OK', and then BANG, I'm back up to speed.

I tried for hours different scenarios between SpyBot, Outlook etc. but never got it to work after a reboot.

FINALLY I just restored my computer, and did NOT run the Windows Updates, and Voila, I'm back up to speed again.

BUT I'm nervous. I did this exact thing last night, and then I uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime (I'm on an XP machine), and BANG, the slowness came back.

I'm NERVOUS that when I do any kind of program update, add, whatever, that I'll be crawling again.

MS better fix this!

Default Me three...

There seems to be something in the MS updates done this morning (5/9/07) that triggered this behavior for those of us not previously affected.

It was caused by one of the following three updates:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB931768) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB930916) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2007 (KB890830)

I've run a SB S&D immunization last week sometime, and didn't have any problems at all until this morning's updates.

Who thought it was a good idea to scan a buffer against ANYTHING on every keypress!?! No wonder everything is so bloated and it takes a multi-gigahertz machine with gigs of RAM to do anything these days!

Quote Originally Posted by rruss View Post
    There seems to be something in the MS updates done this morning (5/9/07) that triggered this behavior for those of us not previously affected.

It was caused by one of the following three updates:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB931768) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB930916) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2007 (KB890830)
    Sample of issues reported:

Windows XP General

Google Groups. microsoft . public . windowsupdate

KB931768 causes IE7 failure w/ navcancl & ieframe.dll &temp solut

Windows Update killed IE7! navcancl & ieframe.dll error

KB931768 'navcancl' error crippling IE7 for some Vista users

Problem after installing IE7 update(KB931768)

You receive an access violation error when you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update after you applyhotfix package KB916089
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

3 pc's; all XP SP2; all on autoupdate for XP
    2 unaffected don't have Spybot
    1 which is grinding to a halt in Outlook has.
    Not scientific but.......

I will try installing Spybot on one of the others.

Default SLOW typing

I'm certain the core problem lies just with MS. BUT I do have one computer that does NOT (has not ever) had SpyBot loaded on it, and it took the updates and does emails just fine. So I'm thinking it's still possible that once SpyBot is installed...?

It's funny... the Windows update warning usually says something like "Somebody could take your computer over...". I'm almost tempted to let them. After 1 day of sending emails, they'd popup a message to me and say 'OMG you poor bastard. I took over your computer but it ain't worth it. You can have it back. I'll never bother you again. I'll be praying for you...'

Have to find some humor in this somewhere...