Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Lightbulb Some More Information.

Hello Again Everyone!

After doing some more investigation into the matter of the typing delay caused by Spybot immunizations, I have discovered that there is yet another work-around solution. This work-around will enable any user to have both immunizations installed, as well as a speedy and functional HTML-based Outlook.

The Steps:
    Start Outlook
    In the Menu Bar go to Tools/Options
    Click the "Security" tab
    Under the "Security Zones" section click on the pull-down menu
    Change the default (should be "Restricted sites") to "Internet Sites"
    Change this value back to the default ("Restricted sites")
    Click OK

Voila, Outlook should work correctly again until its next reboot. Of course, you will have to repeat these steps each time that you start the program, but until there is a more permanent fix in place it will have to do.

Clearly, the issue here is with Security Zones, as with my previous post I outlined how with immunizations installed Outlook is querying the registry for every single entry in the Zone Maps. Now, whether this is a bug in Outlook's behavior or perhaps a technical snafu on behalf of the immunization database is still unknown, but it is evident that the problem resides here. Of course, this behavior is perplexing, because as some of you may have noticed that on its own, Outlook will sometimes (although rarely) not suffer from the slowdown.

Through my efforts, I am still trying to pinpoint the exact registry entry that may be causing Outlook to misbehave with regards to the Security Zones, but as it stands it is definitely a combination of Outlook 2003, Spybot Immunizations, and IE7.

Hopefully, Team Spybot will be able to shed some light on this subject, as this is practically the only message board on the entire internet that has so accurately and effectively narrowed down the cause of this problem.

The hunt continues, so good luck!

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-05 at 12:20.

Although I don't know for sure I don't think this is a Spybot issue. I think it is between IE7 and Outlook alone. I've tried the suggestions in this post and they sort of work. "Undo"ing immunization caused Outlook to crash. Turning it back on fixed that problem. Changing the security settings makes things fine until Outlook is shut down and then restarted. In fact you can make other changes in the Options setting and this problem will go away until you restart Outlook again. Turning SDHelper off made no difference.

Others on the Internet have reported this same html issue with no mention of Spybot. See the Microsoft forums for several reports people with this same problem. Some people have reported other "solutions" - disabling Outlook add-ins, changing language options. All hit and miss with results.

I don't want to rain on your parade but changing Spybot and/or security settings doesn't do it here.

We're simplying using text format and waiting for Microsoft to push out a fix in one of their automatic updates at some point in the future.

Cheers.

Question Re:

Hello Again,

Although I agree that ultimately the fix will probably rest with MS, I would still have to disagree with your point that Spybot has nothing to do with it. It clearly does, as the difference between immunization and no immunization equals Outlook scanning the Zone Maps section of the registry.

With this in mind, I think it would be beneficial for both Team Spybot and for MS if they (or we) could track down the exact entry/entries in the registry that trigger this behavior. On machines that suffer from this specific problem, it is evident that removing immunization (hence, blanking out the Zone Maps) will relieve this problem 100% of the time.

As for what other users may or may not be experiencing, that is still up in the air. I am convinced that what many people are encountering is unrelated to this specific issue, and is in fact a result of other problems such as poorly configured machines, malware, or etc. Crashes or slowdowns in IE7 are not the same problems as the slow e-mail/text create.

Until this specific issue is addressed by a specific entry on the MS website with a hotfix, I will continue attempting to narrow down the list of immunizations.

Good Luck,

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-06 at 04:15.

Esteemed Member

You are both correct to some extent, since under certain circumstances the Restricted Sites entries can interact in undesired ways in combination with IE and other applications, generally security applications in most cases.

The4Bs is correct that this isn't really a Spybot S&D issue, since all Spybot really does is add a number of entries to that list, it's Internet Explorer and apparently Outlook that actually check the list during their operation. There are other programs including SpywareBlaster that also place even more entries in that list, so it isn't really an issue for Team Spybot to solve.

Microsoft has taken the stance in the past that automatically filling the Restricted Sites list with thousands of entries isn't what was intended, since it was really designed for the user to add their own sites manually one at a time. Though in theory the idea works, eventually even the most stable system will start to show the effects of needing to scan through thousands of entries for each web site accessed. You are likely seeing these effects, possibly in relation to another security application on your system that is also attempting to verify each access like a Phishing filter or AV/AS product.

Since many combinations of this issue are being seen it's likely there are at least several different combinations of applications that can cause it. Since Spybot simply places entries in the list, it really isn't actively involved, though I believe that TeaTimer Resident monitors this registry area for changes, so you might try disabling that during your testing if you have it running.

Unfortunately the interaction of active security applications is becoming more common as they each add more monitoring of registry and other changes. Since Internet Explorer 7 and Outlook have also added some of their own protection, the likelyhood of these issues is increasing, often leaving the users to discover the interactions themselves. Good luck in the search for yours.

Bitman

Lightbulb Food For Thought.

Hello Bitman, (Hopefully, 8-bit!)

You put up an interesting post, and it's given me some food for thought. However, I would have to point out a few differenced between what I think are the two main problems that people are experiencing.

===================================================

(Problem 1, Outlook Slowdown)

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the problem is indeed caused by Outlook scanning the Zone Maps. However, what I cannot tell you (yet, anyway) is why on earth Outlook will sporadically scan the Zone Maps when opening/creating an HTML-formatted e-mail, or when entering or editing HTML-formatted text. What boggles me (and leads me to believe that this is perhaps fixable through some trick without any intervention on MS's behalf) is the work-around trick which entirely negates this behavior.

As mentioned earlier, when the user goes into the options and makes any change before clicking OK to quit, the program will entirely overlook this previous behavior and completely ignore the Zone Maps. Otherwise, upon closer inspection I have discovered that it will in fact still scan the registry even with immunization disabled, but because the Zone Maps are so limited without the Spybot immunizations (in my case, anyway), there is no noticeable slowdown.

(Problem 2, IE7 Slowdown or Crashing)

I cannot say what this problem may be exactly, as I have fortunately never experienced it. Perhaps users should consider narrowing down the possibilities one at a time by turning certain programs on and off. Also, it would be wise to verify that any computer in question does not have any malware or viruses running on it, as these will absolutely lead to an unstable Internet Explorer. Finally, perhaps the computers in question simply are not up to spec enough, or are simply not as optimized as they could be in order to run IE7 well. There are many ways of improving a computer's performance with simple adjustments, and the steps for these can be found in many places online.

===================================================

As for the possible causes that you had mentioned: I did in fact check for those very same issues before I made my very first post, so I can tell you that at least in the case of problem 1, these are not the issues. Here is a breakdown of what I have checked for:

1) Phishing Filter has been permanently disabled and turned off for all user accounts since the initial installation of IE7. (Why would anyone surf the net and let MS track their every movement?)

2) Antivirus program entirely disabled (including having its service stopped/disabled) for the purposes of the test.

3) TeaTimer not running/installed, Bad Download Blocker disabled for purposes of the test.

4) All installed/running services audited and tested for their affect on Outlook slowdown, with no obvious source proving to be responsible.

Right now, I am attempting to further narrow down what exactly gets called for/looked at when Outlook is loaded as well as when Outlook's options are set and saved. Perhaps if I can locate a particular MS registry entry or command that is not being called or executed reliably, but is still reset by the work-around fix, I will in the least be able to make an official bug report of it to MS.

I will post again when I find out more information...

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-07 at 10:37.

Default SLOW typing

Sad to say, I've joined this group.

I ran Windows Updates yesterday on two machines, and BANG, when I type in an Outlook email (HTML format), it takes forever to show my characters.

I read all of these posts, and see that I can go into Tools/Options/Security... change ANYTHING... change it back, and click 'OK', and then BANG, I'm back up to speed.

I tried for hours different scenarios between SpyBot, Outlook etc. but never got it to work after a reboot.

FINALLY I just restored my computer, and did NOT run the Windows Updates, and Voila, I'm back up to speed again.

BUT I'm nervous. I did this exact thing last night, and then I uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime (I'm on an XP machine), and BANG, the slowness came back.

I'm NERVOUS that when I do any kind of program update, add, whatever, that I'll be crawling again.

MS better fix this!

Default Me three...

There seems to be something in the MS updates done this morning (5/9/07) that triggered this behavior for those of us not previously affected.

It was caused by one of the following three updates:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB931768) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB930916) Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2007 (KB890830)

I've run a SB S&D immunization last week sometime, and didn't have any problems at all until this morning's updates.

Who thought it was a good idea to scan a buffer against ANYTHING on every keypress!?! No wonder everything is so bloated and it takes a multi-gigahertz machine with gigs of RAM to do anything these days!

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post

The4Bs is correct that this isn't really a Spybot S&D issue, since all Spybot really does is add a number of entries to that list,
    Bitman
    Can you tell me where "that list" is stored? Is it in the registry or some file. I would love to look and see what my "list" looks like.

Angry SLOW typing

My guess is that it's the IE update OR the 'crypto' update (I don't remember what it was literally called).

Why on earth are they checking every keystroke??? On my 1.8 ghz P4, if I type really fast, I simply do NOT see ANY characters until I stop typing... lines and lines worth! That sucks.

I actually hope a few million users experience this major slowdown so the gripe goes straight up the food-chain.

Bring back DOS !

Default Joined The Club Too!

I too have joined the club! For now, the workaround that RonaldReagan posted is working for my Outlook. I suspect as the security features and program complexity continue to grow, there will be more of these undesireable "interactions" among programs that will manifest themselves in different ways. I also learned this morning that I had to go to a separate website for updates to my Office 2003 and do it manually. I installed all 6 of them but nothing resolved the issue until I followed RonaldReagan's prescription. Computers should help me be more efficient - not be another burden! Back to servicing record changers - something I understand!