Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Esteemed Member

Reading back through the more recent posts I also see that many are focused on Internet Explorer 7 as the 'problem' here.

While it's true that a change in the design of security zones within IE 7 has helped contribute to the issue, the real problem lies in the dependancy of Outlook 2003 on IE 7 for HTML rendering. In attempting to protect Outlook from future exploits of HTML within email messages, this made Outlook dependant upon portions of the Internet Explorer [6 or 7] security zones and susceptible to future changes in their handling.

So the fault here lies with the Office 2003 development group who made these short sighted decisions in an attempt to buffer themselves from potential future HTML rendering exploits. Apparently they realized this flaw while developing Office 2007 and chose to remove this dependancy by using Word [2007] for HTML rendering, placing the responsibility and control for security and other concerns back in their own hands.

Other components of the operating system have often been blamed for the faults of Office/Outlook in the past, including problems with oversided PST files and other co-dependant security issues. This was really the result of too many cross dependancies between portions of Office and other parts of the OS, including Internet Explorer. I'm glad to see that with Office 2007 they seem to have taken the direction of removing these dependancies.

Bitman

Currently out of three pc's all have Outlook 2003 IE7 and XP SP2:
    One has spybot; displays Outllook problem.
    The other two don't have spybot and show no problem.
    So, I installed spybot on one of these and ran immunisation. No change - still ok. I appreciate that spybot may only contribute to the problem by adding to the number of restriced sites but I would have thought that on pc#2 it would have had some effect. Zilch!

If you work in rtf then the problem is avoided until you try to reply to an email which uses html.

Has anyone tried the regedit suggestions mentioned earlier (post 31)? Does the "one liner" work?

Raincheck!

Looked closely at the uneffected pc and realised (because I don't actually use this one for emails) that the default setting was to use Word! Unticked that box! Voila! B*gge*ed! Bet I could almost get the email sent before the text appeared.
    Removing immunisation didn't make any difference.
    Naive question: what is the problem with leaving the Word box ticked? My normal way of using Outlook is not to use Word so I don't know what effect this has either obvious to the user or in underlying security issues.

We've had a similar problem with one of our applications that reuses the MSHTML control. The problem was reported by some users who are using Spybot with immunisation.

I'd be interested to hear if the fix we've found helps fix Outlook as well. The solution we have at the moment is to add an extra entry into the Windows Registry.

In the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING

Add a new DWORD value called "outlook.exe" and set this to 1.

Post RE: Using Microsoft Word.

Hello Again Everyone!

Yes, I actually have been aware that using Word would avoid the problem all together for some time now. I actually was going to amend fix number 2 in my previous post to include this instruction, but when I tried to post the text, the limit on editing a post had already expired.

I personally do not like this fix, as using Word to edit e-mails is rather inefficient, as its core has to be opened separately from Outlook's and thus results in much more memory being taken up. Regardless, it is a valid work-around, and there are no other side effects other than having a much more detailed text editing environment.

As for Office 2007...

For me, that's just not going to happen for the time being. As I may have mentioned earlier, I'm not one who enjoys upgrading software just because. I prefer to pick a software set that I am comfortable with, and then to use it for a predetermined amount of time until I really do see a need to upgrade. Knowing how Microsoft does it, Outlook 2007 will likely offer even less functionality while taking even more system resources than its predecessor with all sorts of unnecessary bells and whistles.

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-15 at 02:25.

Exclamation Potential Fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ABurt View Post
    We've had a similar problem with one of our applications that reuses the MSHTML control. The problem was reported by some users who are using Spybot with immunisation.

I'd be interested to hear if the fix we've found helps fix Outlook as well. The solution we have at the moment is to add an extra entry into the Windows Registry.

In the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING

Add a new DWORD value called "outlook.exe" and set this to 1.
    Hey Guys, I think we're onto a partial fix here...

Everyone give a big round of applause for ABurt, as this is a really solid lead!

This is actually something that I was investigating through my own research, and then I spotted this post outlining very similar steps. I went ahead and applied this fix to my registry and indeed it does work!

However...

Although the fix works, it's not complete. The very first HTML-formatted e-mail that you open or create will still scan your "bad domains," but all other e-mails that are opened/created after this will operate flawlessly. Furthermore, your typing will be back to normal, and at no point will it scan the "bad domains."

To apply this fix, follow the instructions quoted above, or copy and paste the following text into a text file and then save it out with the extension ".REG" Once saved, double click on the file and then click OK at the prompt to automatically add its contents to your registry.

========================================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING]
    "outlook.exe"=dword:00000001
    ========================================================

*Warning, do not apply this fix unless you are comfortable with editing your registry, and if you are certain that this issue/fix applies to you.

I still need to check to see if there are any other unwanted side-effects or any other issues with this fix, but so far it looks solid. I will continue to do more research to see if we can make it even more complete. Until then, good luck!

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-15 at 03:06.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldReagan View Post
    I personally do not like this fix, as using Word to edit e-mails is rather inefficient, as its core has to be opened separately from Outlook's and thus results in much more memory being taken up. Regardless, it is a valid work-around, and there are no other side effects other than having a much more detailed text editing environment.
    Actually, your reasoning here is why some in the security community don't like this workaround either, since bringing the codebase of Word into the operation of your messaging system also has the potential to bring any vulnerabilities along with it. Possibly a much worse situation than either resources or the initial problem itself.

However, it is simply a workaround, not a solution and as such will inherently have limitations.

As for Office 2007...

For me, that's just not going to happen for the time being. As I may have mentioned earlier, I'm not one who enjoys upgrading software just because. I prefer to pick a software set that I am comfortable with, and then to use it for a predetermined amount of time until I really do see a need to upgrade. Knowing how Microsoft does it, Outlook 2007 will likely offer even less functionality while taking even more system resources than its predecessor with all sorts of unnecessary bells and whistles.
    Again, I understand what you're saying and the economic realities that will affect this decision for many. but you have misunderstood a fundamental fact. What you stated could quite effectively describe the incremental upgrades from Office 2000 to XP (2002) and then to 2003.

However, the changes in Office 2007 are much more radical, especially as they relate to security, so this is one upgrade that is worth having. It really only makes sense though to include the upgrade to the Vista OS, since it's really when these occur together that you truly strengthen the security of the entire system.

Performing these upgrades in a piecemeal fashion will only provide patchwork improvements in security, as well as leaving any other applications known to contain vulnerabilities in earlier versions. This is a common mistake made by those with no security training, believing that upgrading just the OS will protect them or that patching just the OS or Office removes all vulnerabilities. At this point in time, even obscure applications have come under attack, especially if they have an association to financial or other high interest areas often focused around financial gain.

Bitman

Unhappy RE: Outlook 2007.

Hello Bitman,

Quite frankly, I don't understand the point of your last post.

I think that any discourse regarding the benefits of software upgrades, and really, anything else of that sort should best be saved for another place. This message board is here to help unify and inform users of certain software configurations, Office 2003 in particular, who are currently experiencing a slowdown with their HTML-formatted e-mails.

Any other discussion is irrelevant, and unnecessary.

Perhaps you work for Microsoft, or even get a commission from them based on aggregate sales of Office 2007? Regardless, I am honestly not interested in your opinions.

I am here to help share what I have learned with other users in the hopes of coming to a better understanding of what this problem is. I am not here to have my donated work/time dissected by a rambling pseudo-professional. Unless you have something noteworthy to contribute, please refrain from posting replies; at least to my posts. You are only cluttering the thread and making it harder for people to actually find the information that would otherwise benefit them.

Thank You,

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-15 at 13:23.

RonaldReagan.

Please refrain from flaming our Advisors or any user here, your post was reported by two other members.

Bitman's input is perfectly reasonable, informative, unbiased and welcome.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldReagan View Post
    This message board is here to help unify and inform users of certain software configurations, Office 2003 in particular, who are currently experiencing a slowdown with their HTML-formatted e-mails.

Any other discussion is irrelevant, and unnecessary.
    The purpose of these forums is for Spybot-Search & Destroy support, not Outlook.

At this point a more appropriate forum would be one that supports Office/Outlook, which is the real cause of this issue.
    Apprantly Spybot-S&D was just one of the contributors, for some people, and not the core problem.

To that end:

A synopsis by Jim Eshelman at AumHa:
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=151711#151711

Public NewsGroups for Outlook:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&lang=en&cr=US

There are several threads already:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

Best wishes everyone.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016