Thread: Missing shortcut for SpybotSD.exe

Default Missing shortcut for SpybotSD.exe

Today when I went to click on my Spy Bot icon on my desktop, the picture for the shortcut was missing!! I click it and it says "The item SPYBOTSD.exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly." I uninstalled and reinstalled and the same thing happens over and over. Whatever happened, it seemed to effect my Zone Alarm as well. Can someone please help me out????!! Thank you.

Is SpybotSD.exe present in the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder?
    The usual path is C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Whatever happened, it seemed to effect my Zone Alarm as well
    Zone Alarm's shortcut is behaving the same way?Which version of Windows do you run(XP,98,etc.)?Any other shortcuts besides those two doing the same thing?

I have XP. It also got rid of my F-Prot Real Time Scanner....strange I know. Trust me, I went to the Program File folder. The SPYBOTSD.exe is just not there. Even when I downloaded the new version and did it. Nothing!!! It is uninstalled as of now. Hopefully you guys can help me. Thank you.

And have any of the .exes for either/or Zone Alarm and F-Prot disappeared from their folders in Program Files also?Has there been any other strange things happening with your computer?

Those are the only strange things are the ones I talked about. The files are indeed missing from the folders. I heard something to do with True Vector maybe?

I'm not too familiar with Zone Alarm anymore,but I did see this page about True Vector service problems,but nothing seems to indicate other programs .exe's would disappear,and I couldn't find much else anywhere.
    http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...rruptlogs.html

Where the files are missing from the folders,and they are files to do with your firewall,antivirus,and Spybot,I think it might be a good idea if you got checked out in malware removal,just to be on the safe side of things.

If you'd like to ask for help in Malware Removal,the instructions to follow are here.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    If you post in Malware Removal,make sure you explain the situation,or you could just post a link back to here(along with posting your logfiles.)so that a helper can see what's going on,etc.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-02-07 at 03:49.

HAHA!! I have gotten rid of the problem by using a couple of excellent virus sweepers. It seemed that there was a hidden virus that would delete a .exe file if it were trying to be extracted. The virus scanners that helped me were:

BL Beta
    Comb Fix
    Dr. Web Cure It

BL Beta was the main one that let me rename the hidden file so that it would open anymore. Thank you for your help!

Glad you got it fixed. Is everything okay now?

Default Same Problem

Quote Originally Posted by pauliojr View Post
    HAHA!! I have gotten rid of the problem by using a couple of excellent virus sweepers. It seemed that there was a hidden virus that would delete a .exe file if it were trying to be extracted. The virus scanners that helped me were:

BL Beta
    Comb Fix
    Dr. Web Cure It

BL Beta was the main one that let me rename the hidden file so that it would open anymore. Thank you for your help!
    Where can i download BL Beta & Comb Fix? I downloaded Dr. Web Cure It but i have the same problem...Blank short cut which wont run.

Quote Originally Posted by fiasco99 View Post
    Where can i download BL Beta & Comb Fix? I downloaded Dr. Web Cure It but i have the same problem...Blank short cut which wont run.
    Found the "BL Beta" app you were looking for. I think you mean F-Secure's BlackLight beta program (blbeta.exe):
    https://europe.f-secure.com/exclude/...ht/index.shtml

as for "Comb Fix", get it here (it's been renamed to combofix.exe):
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...h/combofix.exe
    pauliojr did not mention in his post where he got the Comb Fix program.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2007-02-27 at 00:16.