Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help, please (Vundo, etc.)

Removed the one file and uploaded the others, as requested.

Issues...let's see. Well, my computer has slowed down some, but that's to be expected until I get my external drive up and running again (incidentally, do I need to look for anything in particular, virus-wise, on the hard drive? I haven't used it in months--since well before this Vundo infestation--and I think it's all documents, graphics, and media files...but I know that those can hide baddies as well).

As I mentioned before, I have some problems with ZoneAlarm crashing occasionally.

One weird thing: sometimes, if my laptop has been in hibernation and I bring it back out, it appears to have gone online but it refuses to load anything. I don't know how I discovered this, but if I open another program and then reload the page, the page will usually load. It's as though my computer has to be "distracted" by another process or program so that MIE will function properly, or something. It's very odd.

I've been thinking of switching to Firefox; would you recommend this? I've heard it's much more stable than MIE, but I've also heard there are some issues with it. In addition to general websurfing, I do email and a lot of work on several forums, two of which I admin. I backup the database on those two forums; is there any chance those files could have become corrupted due to the problems on my computer? Also, is it likely I may have transferred malware via file transfers (usually Word documents to my school computer)?

Thanks so much for your continued help!

Also: I still have the programs you had me install on my computer. I know that running two versions of a program (particularly anti-spyware) can cause problems, but I don't want to take anything off until I know my machine is clean. Suggestions for what to do with ZoneAlarm? I have over a year left on my license, but if there's a better program for one thing or the other, I suppose could always disable that part of the security suite.

I wish I could edit my posts; it's embarrassing to keep adding things.

Just read this:
    If you see such as this:
    "To play the video you have to install the latest Codec" Stop.... be aware, don't start clicking your way to infection.
    I'm fairly certain I did this before all the Vundo mess started. Don't know whether that's new info. you need or not.

Well your earlier malware infestation might have conflicted with ZoneAlarm, you should really try uninstalling then reinstalling it and see if the problem still continues. Or maybe ZoneAlarm has a 'Repair' option instead of uninstalling and reinstalling, might have corrupted an file or something.

As for the browser issue, I do recommend switching to Firefox. Sure, you can troubleshoot with IE 7 too, but Firefox is better and most likely it won't have the same issues. Most important is you to use the browser you like the most.

And the other hard drive, well, if you do use it, regular checkups are always recommended too. I don't think your Word documents or forum backups would get corrupted by the malware but of course there's always a risk; you could back the forums up again.

I still have the programs you had me install on my computer. I know that running two versions of a program (particularly anti-spyware) can cause problems, but I don't want to take anything off until I know my machine is clean.
    Well, you should use 1 active firewall, 1 active anti-virus, one or two active anti-spyware protections (most of the common anti-spyware programs do not interfere with each other or the antivirus/firewall apps.)

For example I currently have SpySweeper with active shields, SpyBot with immunization, anti-virus/firewall aswell as SpywareBlaster. I don't like to keep active shields with many programs at the same time. Using TeaTimer MIGHT get confusing as I have SpySweeper with active shields.

------

You should also update Java.....
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Software icon > Add/Remove Programs.
    • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
      It should have next icon next to it:
      Select it and click Remove.
      1. Now please install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 manually..
      2. Note to reboot the computer after updating:
      3. After the reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
      4. Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
      5. There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked
        • Downloaded Applets
          Downloaded Applications
          Other Files
      6. Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
        Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
      7. Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
    Hi there, stranger!

Proud Member of ASAP since 2005.

Also those issues might well be because of your ZoneAlarm if it is version 7.

For example, you can read the user reviews here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm_In...27&ctype=msgid

Looks like crashes are popular around the app. If you are able to, you could revert back to v. 6.5.
    Hi there, stranger!

The Java installer site is down for maintenance. ;-) Will install, run one final sweep, and post here when I have (didn't hear back after I did the malware upload; I guess that means it looks okay?).

Let me know about your issues, have you taken a look at zonealarm?

Java site is up. It does seem your logs are clean of malware.
    Hi there, stranger!

As the problem appears to be resolved this topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread. Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.

Thank you Rawe.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016