Thread: Help a Novice? WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

Default Help a Novice? WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

For the last 24 hours I've been plagued with an annoying piece of stupid marketing in the form of WinAntiVirus Pro 2006. It keeps intercepting my browsers (both IE and Firefox). It's claim is that a virus or somesuch has been found on my system XP SP2 and that it's here to rescue me. There seems to be some relationship with something called Spybotaware or some such, which duped me because I was looking for Spybot S & D, a trusted name. I had killed Sybot S & D because my ISP provided F-secure and the like. But F-secure (branded under Shaw Secure here in Canada) didn't find anything. The Winantivirus crap seems to be intercepting my browser somehow. I mean it's been tremendously difficult to compose this because keys will go missing as my browser is intercepted. I've mulled around in the forums and I see that someone had a similiar problem but I'm not sure how it was resolved. Any and all possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. This is extremely annoying.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-02-15 at 17:46. Reason: removed email address for your protection against spambots.

Hello,

It is important to read the stickied topics, posted for our members benefit:

"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps

Rogues:VirusBurst, PestTrap & other desktop type hijacks; commonly known as Smitfraud

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Following directions...with thanks!

I have done all as per instructions in your email. Thank you! So far, so good. There has been no intercept...yet! I hope I got the sucker, with your inestimable help!

Here are my logs....if they assist anyone. (I just have to figure out how to paste these HUGE files here...assuming that's what you want me to do.) Please bare/bear with me. I'm knew to this.

Here is what Spybot S & D generated...

And then I wrote.... I tried to paste the logs but they appear to large for your system. In addition, while doing so I started to get keyboard intercept. Please instruct..... Thanks

Default It's back....

I'm still infected. After all that. Sigh. When trying to submit the last post the item in question tried to reload a page in IE. In addition, I'm still getting keyboard intercept.

Quote Originally Posted by stevezygote View Post
    I have done all as per instructions in your email.
    Hello.

I did not send you an email. I did receive your PM however.

You said:
    I did system restores as per suggested by my ISP techies but can't do the system restores
    We will need to know exactly what advice you were given by your ISP and the steps you have taken, as doing a bit of this and a bit of that from different sources can really mess things up.

Generally we do not recommend a System restore when a machine is infected, was your ISP aware that WinAntiVirus is a Rogue Program/malware.

Please do not post the Spybot-S&D log, your helper will let you know if it is needed. But do provide the HJT log if you can.

Take as many posts as necessary to copy and paste the HJT log into this topic, and a helper will attempt an analysis.

Default ISP Instruction. HJT Log.

THIS IS WHAT MY ISP RECOMMENDED. I tried to do a restore yesterday but the system wouldn't let me. I have seen located a c:\386 directory on my hard drive which contains a lot of compressed files, such as filename.dl_ and per instructions found on MS's KB restored the file in question from that directory. There are about 500Megs of files in the directory. My XP was imbedded in my HP computer so I suspect... I have done a log for HJT and am including it either here or in my next post, depends on whether the system will allow it. I AM STILL INFECTED. I thought very seriously of doing a total redo of the hard drive after doing selective backups onto CD or ZIP disk. That's a last resort. That'll take me all day! And I'll loose a lot of settings. Anyway, here's what my ISP suggested...not done. Oh, yes, and BTW I downloaded an installed Norton's Trialware Antivirus. It isn't getting the culprit. I may uninstall. See following post for HJT log.

Hello,

Most of the spyware/malware and trojan infections imbed their code into the Windows 'System Restore' folder. The System Restore function is responsible for restoring 'last known good session' of your Windows system. Essentially what happens is that your antivirus program initially detects and deletes the infection, however when you restart your computer, the infection is restored due to the 'System restore' feature being enabled.

Currently there is not one antivirus program that can delete trojans or viruses that are imbedded in the System Restore folder. Viruses that imbed themselves to the system restore folder have to be removed manually or disable system restore and run your antivirus program to remove them permanently.

How to delete viruses from the system restore folder:

You have to disable Windows system restore and then run your antivirus and anti spyware program again to try and delete the infection.

disabling system restore in Windows ME

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

disabling system restore in Windows XP

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

Perform a manual antivirus scan after you disable System Restore.

Restart the computer after the virus has been removed.

Enable system restore again.

If the infection has not been deleted after conducting the above procedure, please call 629-3000 to speak with one of our Shaw Secure technicians for further assistance.

Emmanuel
    Shaw Internet Vancouver Help

Default Here is the HJT log.

Here is the HJT log. If I haven't already said this (which I believe I have) I want to once again state that I REALLY appreciate your help!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 3:34:09 PM, on 2/15/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE~1\backweb\3875767\Program\SERVIC~1.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Comodo\BackUp\CmdBkSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\backweb\3875767\Program\fspex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\backweb\3875767\program\fsbwsys.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\FSGK32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fssm32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FSMA32.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FSMB32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FCH32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fsqh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FAMEH32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fsrw.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fsav32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hplamp.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FSM32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FSGUI\ispnews.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\TweakRAM\TweakRAM.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE~1\ANTI-S~1\fsaw.exe
    C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FSGUI\fsguidll.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {BC4FFE41-DE9F-46fa-B455-AAD49B9F9938} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: FoxyTunes Toolbar - {1D1901C3-F72A-46f3-9DBB-0AAA0DEEF6DF} - C:\Program Files\FoxyTunes\ForInternetExplorer\components\IE\FoxyTunesForIE.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &VSAdd-in - {74DD705D-6834-439C-A735-A6DBE2677452} - C:\Program Files\VSAdd-in\VSAdd-in.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BlockTracker] c:\hp\bin\BlockTracker.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoTBar] C:\hp\bin\autotbar.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Lamp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hplamp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure Manager] "C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FSM32.EXE" /splash
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure TNB] "C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\TNB\TNBUtil.exe" /CHECKALL /WAITFORSW
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure Startup Wizard] "C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FSGUI\FSSW.EXE" /reboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [News Service] "C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FSGUI\ispnews.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Startup Cleaner] C:\Program Files\CM Data Software\CM DiskCleaner\Startup Cleaner.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows] rundll32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DllRunning] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ppkfsroc.dll",setvm
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows] rundll32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TweakRAM] C:\Program Files\TweakRAM\TweakRAM.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Shaw Secure.lnk = C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\backweb\3875767\Program\fspex.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Block this popup - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Spyware\blockpopups.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://speedbar.myway.com/menusearch.html?p=MG1
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to WebSite-Watcher - C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\aignes\WebSite-Watcher\config\settings\wswie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: IE Shield - {300DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73C00} - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Spyware\ieshield.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IE Shield... - {300DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73C00} - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Spyware\ieshield.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O16 - DPF: symsupportutil - https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...upportutil.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {9CCE3B43-4DE0-4236-A84E-108CA848EE6A} (WebCam Control) - http://webcamnow.com/fs5/ax/ActiveXWebCam.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Filter: text/html - {2AB289AE-4B90-4281-B2AE-1F4BB034B647} - (no file)
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Shaw Secure (BackWeb Plug-in - 3875767) - BackWeb Technologies Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\SHAWSE~1\backweb\3875767\Program\SERVIC~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: ComodoBackupService - COMODO - C:\Program Files\Comodo\BackUp\CmdBkSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: FSGKHS (F-Secure Gatekeeper Handler Starter) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
    O23 - Service: fsbwsys - F-Secure Corp. - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\backweb\3875767\program\fsbwsys.exe
    O23 - Service: F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon (FSDFWD) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
    O23 - Service: F-Secure Management Agent (FSMA) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\Shaw Secure\Common\FSMA32.EXE
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
    O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

Hello and sorry for the wait.

If you have not resolved the problem, we have this sticky topic:

If you have waited four days for advice post here.

Member emailed to inform us he had reformatted, this topic has been archived.