Thread: optical drives disabled

Question optical drives disabled

I updated Spybot search and destroy two days ago to V1.4. The next time I started my computer I saw the following message before Windows loaded:
    "Secondary hard disc drive 0 not found
    press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup"
    In the setup utility the secondary drive 0 showed "unknown device"
    After starting Windows neither of my two optical drives appear in Windows Explorer or in the list of devices in the device manager control panel.
    I did a "recovery" of the registry files listed in the recovery window of Spybot but to no avail.
    Is it possible that Spybot has somehow altered sttings that would account for this problem?
    Any ideas on how to fix?

I did a ggogle searh for registry fixers and found this file:
    remove-spybotsd-settings.reg
    Any comment on what it is or does?
    I am at a loss on how to fix.
    Please Help
    Thanks, John

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Holscher View Post
    I did a ggogle searh for registry fixers and found this file:
    remove-spybotsd-settings.reg
    Any comment on what it is or does?
    That file is a Registry Editor file that removes any remains of Spybot - Search & Destroy from the registry after uninstalling.
    Reference: this very small fix in the following:

Although the problem with your optical drives could stem from a registry entry, it sounds more like a driver problem.

If you post a log what you fixed with Spybot, perhaps someone may be able to assist you better.

You should have a Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file from any fixes that you did.

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to review and optionally post the logs from previous runnings of Spybot's "Check for problems" and/or "Fix selected problems":
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm from when you detected the problems. Open it. Right click > Select all. Right click > Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) to the post.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. Copy and paste (Ctrl+V) into a post.

Note: Since you indicated you used the Recovery feature, it might be wise to list what items you recovered.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-02-16 at 18:04.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default optical drives disabled

I checked the logs and although I see check & fix reports going back to 2003, I don't see any check & fix reports from 2006 or 2007. all I see is an update report from 2-16-07 which I attached to this message.
    My system info is:
    Dell 4550, Win XP pro sp2 with CD & DVD drives
    If it is a problem with the drivers, any idea how would I update/re-install them if the 2 drives don't appear in the device manager window?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Drivers for most devices are available on the internet either at the PC manufactuer's web site or the device manufactuer's web site.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default optical drives have returned

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions I thought you might be interested to learn that it turned out not to be a software issue. I re-seated the ribbon and power cables on both drives, closed the case, started up and the drives were back. What caused this i don't know but I'm hopining they're here to stay.