Thread: need help undoing a denied registry change

Default need help undoing a denied registry change

A couple of days ago, I denied a registry change popup, and checked the "Remember this decision" box. Now, whenever the computer starts up, I get what looks like a stack of blocks of permanently denied registry changes in the lower right corner of my screen. The last popup (at the top of the pile) shows up as a flashing block - and Tea Timer stops responding. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to close the program down. Because my Tea Timer icon is then gone from my systray, I can't right click on it and choose "Settings" any more - I don't know how to go about undoing the fatal denial of registry change. I tried right clicking on the icon before shutting Tea Timer down, but while the menu shows up, as soon as I try to move my cursor there, the menu disappears.
    I read somewhere about deleting the "Snapshots" folder, but I'm not sure that solution applies to my particular problem.
    I'm running Spybot S&D 1.4. For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure the registry denial was related to Copernic Desktop Search 2.
    Thanks for any help,
    Rebecca

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you check "Remember this decision" during Registry change alerts, the information is stored in a file named either RegKeyWhite.sbe or RegKeyBlack.sbe depending on whether it was an "Allow change" or a "Deny change". The locations of the RegKeyWhite.sbe and RegKeyBlack.sbe files are:
    • Windows 95/98
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows ME
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows NT/2000/XP
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

To get Spybot to forget a permanent decision, you can use a text editor such as Notpad to remove the entry (line) that represents the decision you want eliminate. You can also delete the entire file and all of that type of decision will be forgotten.

I also suggest that you delete all of TeaTimer's snapshot files before restarting TeaTimer so that TeaTimer will start fresh and does not use the snapshot files to compare against the current content of the registry. This should eliminate the rash of notifications when you initially restart your system. To do that:
    • While TeaTimer is not running, delete all the .reg files located in one the following directories:
      • Windows 95/98
        C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
      • Windows ME
        C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
      • Windows NT/2000/XP
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.
    • Exit TeaTimer to store a new set of snapshot files:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
        • TeaTimer closes.
        • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Your instructions did the trick! Tea Timer is back on track, and I'll try to be more careful before checking "remember this decision" again the next time (although I've also saved your instructions on my computer just in case!).
    Thank you SO much!
    Rebecca

That is a great tip. Maybe a sticky?
    Often get heaps of pop-ups after re/uninstalling or something.
    Love it thanks
    Still, one the best tools I ever donated for.
    Proud user for >5yrs.
    Looking forward to the new engines
    Thanks

In Vista, at least on my system, the whitelist can be found under:
    C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes