Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...Another victim of winfixer2005

Default Latest scan results...

Spybot pros: The scan results from Ewido is an empty file. Not sure what happened with that. However, I can say that it appears most of my problems are gone. Thank you all so very, very, much! One thing to note is... the "free" Kaspersky scan wasn't available. I had to download a 30-day free trial in order to run it. My free trial expires at the end of Jan. 2006. In the mean time I will use Kaspersky until I figure out how to get "Active X" controls working. I need them (Active-X) to get the Norton Anti-Virus "Automated Assistant" to function; then I can hopefully debug the problem I am having with their software. I noticed someone posted a problem regarding Norton software that sounds similar to mine; so I will stay abreast of that situation; I may find some answers there. I've also been following the posts regarding Active-X controls.
    You "Spybot guys" are awsome! As soon as I recover from the recent holiday "pocket-book" depletion (maybe in a couple weeks) I want you all to know I'll be making a donation ($$) to your work. You're "worth every penny" as the old saying goes. Thank you all again very much!
    Respectfully, Jim

Security Expert-Emeritus

Yahoos is a seperate browser that uses Internet explorer, perhaps adjusting it and ie's security will help
    Re-Adjust your security settings & ActiveX:
    Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet(green&blue globe), press 'default level', then OK.
    If its not available click the custom level button and change something ok then apply now
    use the default button.
    Then press Custom Level.
    In the ActiveX section,
    1rst: prompt or enable
    2nd: disable
    3rd: disable
    4th: Prompt or enable
    5th: prompt or enable
    Installation of Desktop items" = Prompt
    Launching programs and files in a IFRAME = Prompt
    click apply > OK
    Highlight the restricted zone,click custom level
    and disable everything that can be, click OK
    then click the advanced tab and
    Uncheck: Install on demand (other), click Apply then Ok
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm#Why

Start Hijackthis and place a check next to these items If there.
    Close all browser windows and shut down all other programs that show in the taskbar.(even Folders)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www.iquicksearch.net/search.htm
    R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyBlocs] C:\Program Files\SpyBlocs\SpyBlocs.exe
    4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sguj] C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?gonui.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinFixer] C:\Program Files\WinFixer\WFX5.exe /min
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Lndt] "C:\Program Files\bcas\teas.exe" -vt mt
    ===================================
    Hit fix checked and close Hijackthis.
    Restart the PC
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In control panel addremove programs uninstall SpyBlocs (if there)

Set windows to show hidden extensions file's and folder's.
    click for> instructions<.

delete these folders if present
    C:\Program Files\SpyBlocs
    C:\Program Files\WinFixer
    C:\Program Files\bcas

Post a new log and let us know of any problems

Default Latest Scan / Log files...

:D Good morning all! I followed your latest instructions (Lonny) last night. I will see if I can get my Norton Anti Virus software working properly this evening. Hopefully the "Active-X" problems are resolved now & I can run Norton's "Automated Assistant". Man! That Kaspersky software is really good. It scrutinizes everything! While performing one of the scans (either Ad-Aware or Ewido); Kaspersky kept popping-up with msgs. several times informing me of Trojan attacks; recommending that I delete them; of course I did. I'm beginning to wonder if I should consider purchasing their product after my 30-day free trial ends; and dump my Norton software. If you have any comment or recomendations I will update my profile so that you can send me an e-mail to my home PC.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The Kaspersky scan result simply says no viruses found. No log file to save.
    Thanks again to all for your time & expertise!

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

I dont see anything in that ewido log, was there with any error 's ?

The hijackthis log looks great

To prevent conflict's do not have more that one antivirus installed at a time
    Yes i recommend Kaspersky over norton any day

Put in place a good hosts file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    How To Download and Extract the HOSTS file:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm
    Replace it about once monthly
    How did that go ?
    To help avoid reinfection see "So how did I get infected in the first place?"
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

Default Attachment problem... but I'm OK now!

Lonny: One of the problems I've been having is this... from my home PC, when I am posting a reply, I click on "Manage Attachments"; but nothing happens. Therefore I have to e-mail my (in this case, Ewido) scan results .txt file to where I work. For some strange reason the "Manage Attachments" button works when I'm using this computer. However... I just realized another problem. The Ewido scan file had info. in it when I sent it from my home PC; but when I open the e-mail at work; the Ewido file is empty. I think maybe the company I work for has some kind of anti-virus software running and it is deleting the contents of my file. It's amazing that I didn't lose the contents of my HJT file when I went through this same process in order to get you guys my scan results. But, anyways, I think I'm good to go now! My computer seems to be working fine.
    This should be my last post (wishful thinking).
    Thanks again to all of you SpyBot "brainiacs" (I mean that in a complimentary way); for all your wise instructions / suggestions.
    Happy New Year to all !!
    p/s I won't forget about my donation promise (give me a week or two)

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

You could have copy then pasted them here rather that attach.
    Maybe Re-Adjusting your security settings & ActiveX will help, did you do that ?

Default Copy & paste test...

Lonny: Yeah, I did reset my active-x IE control settings per instructions.
    As for the copy & paste, it doesn't work. I just (right-mouse button) copied the file from my folder on C: drive & came here to this "post reply" window & went to (right-mouse button) paste... but the "paste" function is "greyed out". In fact all (cut, copy & paste) functions are greyed-out (unselectable).
    If I could only get my "Manage Attachments" button to work at home as it does here at work... that would just about wrap-up all my problems.
    Later man... Jim

Security Expert-Emeritus

If i understand correctly, We cant copy a whole file into a post
    Open the text then go file select all >file copy > then in a reply rightclick paste.

Perhaps these browser check will help
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://www.browsertune.com/bt2kfast/

Lonny: Duh... why didn't I think of that :o (don't answer that)... it worked!
    Here is my Ewido scan result from the other day... :D

---------------------------------------------------------
    ewido anti-malware - Scan report
    ---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 9:34:07 PM, 12/27/2005
    + Report-Checksum: BCAB4F70

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\Gnat.DIX-HOME-PC\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\85ABCDAF\WinTS[1].cab/WToolsS.exe -> Downloader.Wintool.b : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Gnat.DIX-HOME-PC\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ET0F2981\hotfix[1].cab/hotfix.exe -> Spyware.WebSearch : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Gnat.DIX-HOME-PC\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ET0F2981\newmajorse2[1].cab/newmajorse2.txt -> Spyware.WebSearch : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\~323065.tmp -> Spyware.Wintools : Error during cleaning
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\~770932.tmp -> Spyware.Wintools : Error during cleaning
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\~891705.tmp -> Spyware.Wintools : Error during cleaning

::Report End

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi
    Those are probaly inactive files, but lets get them
    Use a program such as System Security Suite to clear temps, do so about once or twice a month
    http://www.igorshpak.net/
    If that site is unavailable use this link please
    http://forums.subratam.org/index.php...=post&id=25013
    Extract it from the zip file and run setup.exe
    after the install you can delete setup.exe and the downloaded zip file
    Start the program Check all the boxes under the 'Items to Clear' (except perhaps cookies) tab and click
    'Clear Selected Items'. You will be prompted to reboot, do so.

Run ewido again and post a current log if there are any "Error during cleaning"