Thread: SpySweeper compatible with Spybot S&D?

Default SpySweeper compatible with Spybot S&D?

Do SpyBot S&D and SpySweeper play safely together? The last time I ran Spybot, Spysweeper popped up this warning message [edited]:

"Spybotsd.exe is attempting to change your Internet Explorer Security settings ... for this web site: cache.ysbweb.com
    Programs should not change your Internet Explorer security settings. For your security, we recommend that you block this change."

Don't know what ysbweb.com is - searching for it brings up nothing useful - perhaps a malicious software site Spybot is trying to prevent me from visiting?

Also, I've always let Spybot run unattended in the past but, since SpySweeper defaults to blocking any such items after 20 seconds, will I now need to watch for such messages every time Spybot runs to manually override them?

Thanks - rory

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybot's immunization process adds *.ysbweb.com, cache.ysbweb.com and www.ysbweb.com to the Internet Explorer restricted zone with the following registry entries:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ysbweb.com]
    *=dword:00000004

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ysbweb.com\cache]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ysbweb.com\www]
    Webroot's Spy Sweeper misinterprets one or more of these entries as possibly malicious. It is really a Webroot Spy Sweeper false positive.

It has happened in the past. See the following thread for a method to circumvent the problem:

Also see:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Excellent - thanks for the prompt, concise reply. I suspected it was SpySweeper applying too tight a leash.