Thread: Immunization, adding to.

Question Immunization, adding to.

HI, Immunize. When I run it I get a message that a large number
    of webs are immunized against but there is a much larger number
    that I should consider, but cannot locate any place that
    instructs me how to do this.
    I have looked at all threads, FAQ's and Spybot's Help re: Immunize.
    I stick with Firefox, which I understand is not effected by this process, but my daughter keeps with IE6 on her partition (many security updates) and is constantly in need of cleaning cookies). Win98SE. Thanks - Larry
    Incidentally is there any way to do this with firefox?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I'll assume for a minute that when you are talking about the need to clean up cookies you are talking about tracking cookies.
    • In Internet Explorer you can block the same Tracking Cookies that Spybot detects by enabling Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO). To do this go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". Check the following:
      • Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer
    • There is another way to prevent the storing of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:

If you are talking about managing cookies in general.
    • IE also allows you to add individual sites from which cookies would be blocked:
      • Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options… > Privacy tab > in the "Settings" section click "Sites…" (see Note #1 below) > on the "Per Site Privacy Actions" screen under "Address of Web site" type "tripod.com" (without the quotes) > click the "Block" button. Back out by doing OK > OK.
      • Note #1: If I remember correctly on older versions of Internet Explorer (pre XP SP2) to get to the "Per Site Privacy Actions" screen from the Privacy tab you have to click on the "Edit" button in the "Web Sites" section near the bottom.
    • There are other products that block cookies from selected sites, add site to the restricted zone (that also blocks cookies), and prevent the download/execution of ActiveX processes like Spybot’s immunization. One such product is SpywareBlaster (which offers some protection for Firefox also):

IE-SPYAD add sites to the restricted zone that would block cookies from being stored from these sites:
    • You can delete cookies from within Internet Explorer. See:
    • For deleting cookies that I do not want to keep, I personally use IE Privacy Keeper by BrowserTools.net which I find easier to use than using Spybot's "Ignore Cookies" plus "Usage Tracking" scan. IE Privacy Keeper can be found here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.