Thread: updates last night 3/7/07

Default updates last night 3/7/07

Hello,

I updated during the night. When I got up this morning, explorer and windows were messed up right royally.

I have counterspy 2, adaware se plus, nod32, spybot and sitehound. After many tests using rollback rx, it seemed that sitehound's updates and spybot's updates had been the cause.

I have removed sitehound.

Has anyone else had trouble with spybot's updates for today? explorer and windows would lock up and not work.

Thank you very much.

If it is the updates, how would I know when there is a fix?

jett

I had never had any problems with regular Spybot S&D updates. Only once with a Beta update that included a false positive, which was solved with the next update

I don't know Sitehound, but as far as I know Spybot S&D updates can't mess up Windows and/or Windows Explorer.

Greetz, Red.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jettt:

You didn't indicate what, if anything, that you found and fixed during a scan with the updates. If you like to post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log from the running of Spybot, we can take a look at what fixes were done.

There are two methods to copy and post that information:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that you ran after the updates in question. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
    • Method 2
      • The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default updates last night

Hello,

I appreciate your help.

I believe the culprit was counterspy which updated to version 2. I have been going in circles with the problem. But I took out sitehound and the problem was still with me.

I ran sfc /scannow and removed counterspy. Everything was as it should be.

I updated spybot and all was good. So it wasn't spybot.

I got brave and did a clean install of an even newer version of counterspy in which they fixed some problems. So far, so good. Now I am waiting for a spybot update.

I copied the info above on how to look up reports in spybot.

I thank you all very much.

Jettt

Default more problems

Hi,

I updated today and again there were problems. windows explorer and a bsod on bootup.

I believe the conflict is with counterspy v2. Could the programmers for spybot work with sunbelt-software and fix this?

I surely would appreciate it. Last week counterspy wasn't installed and the updates were fine. However, today it caused the same problem and the week previously.

Thank you very much.

Joyce Turner

Default spybot immuniztions causing bsod

After much agony,

summary:
    2/17/07 let counterspy upgrade itself to 2
    active protection wouldn't stay turned on
    started having bsod occasionally---windows explorer problems,
    3/7/07 updated spybot.. horrible -bsod, windows explorer problems
    3/8/07 version 2. 1.931 counterspy installed...
    active protection works, windows explorer seems better,
    3/15/07 update spybot... bsod.
    I worked yesterday and
    put in 1.5 counterspy. bsod still there. I know 1.5 didn't cause bsod's.
    finally remembered to uninstall spybot immunizations. then bsod quit

3/16/07 uninstalled spybot. Installed counterspy 2.1.946

_____-The immunizations were definitely the cause of the bsod's. Once I took them out, no bsod's. I do not know if it is spybot itself causing the problem or the interactions with counterspy v2. The immunizations were still from the time after counterspy 2 had been installed. So I have removed spybot. Without it, counterspy v2 and the pc seem happy so far.

I hope counterspy and spybot can be fixed to work together. I really like spybot.

I have also sent the info to counterspy. They are checking it out.

I would love to know if the problem gets fixed.

Jettt

Retired

Hello,

Which browser do you use?

Best regards
    Markus
    Team Spybot