Thread: tea timer will not stay on.

Default tea timer will not stay on.

i'm new to spybot and to posting questions anywhere. someone who knows spybot well told me i should turn tea timer on. i have done that but it does not stay on. if i go to somewhere else in spybot and then come back to the resident section, the checkmark for tea timer is gone and it is off. can someone help me?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

phyllis:

When you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident, the checkmark on the following item (or lack of a checkmark) indicates presents (or absents) the startup entry for "Teatimer.exe":
    • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Checking that entry (if unchecked) should:
    1. Start "Teatimer.exe".
    2. Add a startup entry for "Teatimer.exe" to the registry as follows:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "SpybotSD TeaTimer"="C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\TeaTimer.exe"
    Unhecking that entry (if checked) should:
    1. Terminate "Teatimer.exe".
    2. Remove the startup entry for "Teatimer.exe".

Is Teatimer.exe actually running?
    • Look for "Teatimer.exe" in Windows Task Manager. To open Windows Task Manager, right-click an empty space on the taskbar, and then click Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and look for "Teatimer.exe". Note if you click on the "Image Name" column title the list of processes will be sorted in "Image Name" order which may make looking for "Teatimer.exe" easier.
      1. If "Teatimer.exe" is not running:
        • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder and make sure that "Teatimer.exe" exists:
          • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • If it does not exist that would appear to be the problem.
        • If it exists:
          • Double click on TeaTimer.exe to see if it will start.
      2. If "Teatimer.exe" is running:
        • the problem is probably with adding the startup entry for "Teatimer.exe" which leads to several questions:
          • Does the user account you are running from have authority to add startup entries to the HK_CU key?
          • Are you running any other anti-malware software that prevents the addition of startup entries?
          • Etc.?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default tea timer will not stay on

when the box for tea timer is checked, yes teatimer.exe is running in windows task manager. but if i go anywhere else in spybot and come back to the resident section the check mark is gone. i am now getting this message: 3/11-denied value spybot teatimer (new data:"") deleted in system start up user entry. i am also running ad-watch, part of adwarese plus. that must be keeping it from being added. this all may be beyond me. i don't know how to get ad-watch to let teatimer be part of the system start-up. can you help me with that?

I really don't how to get Ad-Watch to allow the startup entry for TeaTimer. If nobody else jumps in to help, consider posting a question in the Ad-Watch forum of the Lavasoft Support Forums site.

Since you are using TeaTimer for the first time, please be aware of the following:

There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" button (on the left) and "Deny change" button (on the right) are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:

There are three (3) fixes published in that thread. They are:

1. The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra here:
      2. The murdo patch published here:

Also republished by RuggeR29 (which I have never tried) here:
      3. The patch originally by SyreneD that I published here:

Also republished by SyreneD himself here:

2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

3. There is also a beta test version of TeaTimer available that overcomes this problem. To download the ßTeaTimer 1.5:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
      • Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
      • In the "Web update" section check the following option:
        • Display available beta versions.
      • Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
      • Click Search for Updates (right pane).
      • When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
        • ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (1 MB) - 2007-02-14
      • Click Download Updates.

Notes about the patches (b. and c. above):

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I had a problem similer to this a year or two back and to fix it I unchecked "Lock Start Up Section" option in the tools and preferences section and that cured it .
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Terminator:

Thanks for sharing that.

My pleasure .
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!